Aquaponics one plant set up

Looking good man. Aquaponics. Does this have to do with fish?

Yes, google it. Normally it is a MUCH bigger set up with heated pools for the fish. I just wanted to see if itā€™d work. So far so good even though I jammed the pump with rocks it is still growing well. i have lowered the water. It is like deep water cultivation w/o the standard ferts.

ā€œSilverarm32ā€ runs a DWC-aquaponics setup in a horse trough. Heā€™s probably the oldest running aquaponics channel on youtube.

https://youtu.be/H30Y5mpmqbc

Another one of my buddies runs one out of 6Ɨ5gal RDWC buckets, and a horse trough for a reservoir, but I need permission to post his link. Iā€™ll get back with that infoā€¦

1 Like

I used a 67 quart cooler with a stock tank warmer w/thermo coupler and a nice pump up to a sprinkler system carb. w/8 outlets. I did 3 gallon buckets (painted black) and net baskets the bucket drained out a tube back into the cooler with 1/4 inch line taking stuff topside and draining it through. It was VERY interesting to see the plants responding. I had to get a 75 buck PH tester for the liquid and the ferts too. Those roots were just hanging down. It was quite interesting. And after harvest I was able to see the root system in the pot. They seemed so nice, cleanā€¦ I hated to not try doing something with them but I did not. This coming year I will do 8 DWC again and them 8 pots of earth. I find it all fascinating and peaceful. I look forward to seeing the other set up. Blessings!

1 Like

Question for your guys. My plant in the aquaponics is doing OK But I am getting worried about the water getting foul. Today I see that roots are exiting the net pot on the side I planted on so i know itā€™s growing. Today I put some nutrients in the water. To heck with the fish. I need to make sure my plant lives. I can always get more feeder fish. The leaves are growing real good but color seems odd. I believe it is the grow lights which affect the color transfer to my eye balls. Oh yes I"ve got two air stones pumping away in there so I imagine the water should stay pretty good. I hope.

Pictures in white light would help greatly.

1 Like

Just read it and am cracking up (a little medicated right now). Yeah you may be right. When we first got the light my daughter who is 7 was looking at the set up and when she stepped in the hall way she exclaimed about something ā€˜greenā€™ on the floor and I realized the grow light can affect, temporarily it seems, color perception. I reassured her it was ok and would go away and soon we were both back to normal.

1 Like

Wish i had pics. Back in old og days, thats how i grew. Had a beautiful 200 gallon oscar tank, mounted in my living room wall. Took a huge learning curve to be able to flower, and i actually used a bit of hydro juice to really flower the best. Fish never minded. I had a pretty serious set up, with 350 tottal gallons. Man, i miss that.

Yes, I finally just put ferts in the water like your oscars the feeder fish donā€™t seem to mind. I have also lowered the water a bit to encourage some more root growth. Hey itā€™s just fun to try but lousy to lose a gal.

1 Like

Itā€™s important to understand that aquaponics isnā€™t like conventional hydroponics, as generally you dont swap out the tank water. If you water is moving, and has adequate amounts of O2, it wont go foul, after cycled.

Depending on your pH, your aquaponic system probably wont utilize some of the nutrients, if formulated for hydroponics/soil, and may even poison your tank, depending on its chelate. Anything added to aquaponics is in the system to stay.

1 Like

got one, thanks for reference

Thank you. I have added some water as itā€™s gone down but it seems to be working alright with two air stones. Not as well as the dirt plant though. I will be doing some gutter garden type stuff this year. I did one last year but did not have fabric pots so the tap root grew down through the wicking material into the water reservoir. It was neat to watch but not as productive as I wanted. This time I am going off the design of a fellow that used Walmart shopping bags (made with polypropalene) with a weed stop material wrapped over a two inch air pot that is pushed through a hole in the bottom of the bag. The net cup with soil packed in it sits down into the water and wicks up.

Here are two bags setting on the reservoir; the one in the foreground has a net cup not wrapped yet. The float valve w water supply outlet is fastened to the end cap and fed from a rain water reservoir. I am doing clones this year and some seeds. Just got a small table mount gas firering for the coffee table in the green house and some LED lights. I have gone from pressure treated 4X4 to cedar 4X4 stained red for the framing fastened with steel plates at intersections. The windows (about 18 in total) are white vinyl thermopanes and the end door will be a slider. The roof I had to save on so it will be polycarbonate single layer. I will not be heating it.

1 Like

Thanks, I have pulled/replaced some water. I got one of those eye loops you recommended: Nice.

@Greengardner1
Any updates on this garden?

So sorry. Yea, it was harvested out at a smaller yield than I"d dreamt but it was good smoke. Right now I am looking into water cure again. Iā€™ve got 30 plants (legal) 8 regs and the rest autos. But Iā€™ve also been purchasing through stores and medical community and I am starting to think that folks think itā€™s ā€˜good weedā€™ if you choke on the smoke. So I will try it again with some of this next harvest. Right now I have 6 autos getting ready for harvest. Weā€™ve had great gardening weather!!
Thanks for the interest.

3 Likes

I have drained the ā€˜swampā€™. Actually I drained the water from the ā€˜pan gardenā€™. It was an area 10X11 filled with pea gravel and then flooded with water. I was fearful that the water might be stagnant and so have installed a drip system. WHAT a chore in an established greenhouse! Did alot through the windows. Now itā€™s on a timer. But since I have regulars (5 to 9 feet tall) and then autos as well (all in ā€˜root bagsā€™) what should my watering schedule be and should I put 2 dripper on the big girls? The system delivers 4 cups per 5 minutes. Thanks for the advice!

2 Likes