Aquaponics one plant set up

I had two brain stem strokes just over a year ago. Went quickly from pyscotropic drugs to cannabis. An interesting journey. Grew 15 plants last summer in a make shift GH. This month I start on a 10X16 greenhouse with white vinyl thermo panes all around; 4 sliding doors on the south side topped with additional windows for the tall side and then slopping down to the north side. Framed with timber and windows dropped in. VERY excited!!
NOW FOR THE QUESTION:
I am at the 47th latitude. It is Jan low temps outside. I got a 5 gallon hexagon aquarium. Inserted fish & topped it with net pot w/clay pellets. Lots of air and water flow at the base. Will the clay pellets wick water up? Do I need to just heighten the level until roots get established? And will this plant (with genetics from the 55th latitude complete it’s grow cycle in a southern facing window with our minimal light? Hope you know, if not I’ll keep you posted. Two seeds germinated and now in planters rooting. I hope this works. That would be AWESOME!! Also planting one in dirt planter by window. The aquaponics seems more exciting… ya no w/the fish. Kid loves it. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

You might get away with Veg, but not flower. Large fruiting plants require more nutrients than fish can supply on their own, and a lot more light. A good example of this would be iron. Chlorosis (leaf yellowing) will set in pretty early with out it.

Latitude doesn’t really matter if you can control the temperatures in the room.

2 Likes

Nutrients you’ll need for flowering…

OH NO! So I will get lovely plants w/o fruit? Sort of like a blossoming cherry tree? I will immediately pray to the Lord of the harvest for a miracle!! And still keep you all posted. I am getting some big old nasty dirty feeder fish from our outdoor pond. We’ll just see!! Hey it’ll be fun. Thx 4 input.

2 Likes

I recommend getting yourself some iron chelate (FeEDDHA). It farely cheap. The problem with it is it turns your fishtank into kool-aid looking red. Your kids might not see your fish as clearly.

Good luck, and if you need any help along the way, let me know. Cheers.

1 Like

Welcome to OG @Greengardner1!

If you take growing seriously it is definitely better to supply artificial light and add suitable ventilation. Caring for plants takes weeks and months and it is better to do it dedicated 100% so you prevent in advance most problems that can arise. Doing it only with say 50% dedication leads to so much problems that it doesn’t justify even starting it…

Dumme is el maestro of Aquaponics, so you’d better take his advice to heart…

Good luck and I’ll be watching your topic!

Yes. I agree. This little enterprise is only because I bought seeds with little understanding and so have some seeds left over from that spree. This year I am having a green house built 10X16. Got all new thermo pane windows from some building just remodeled and then torn down. Go figger. Gonna do a timber frame type set up and just drop the windows in. I got the HDX type shelving for the south wall and a DWC system for 8 plants. I did DWC this past year. Fun. Hay-wired a cooler/resourvour, stock tank heater, thermocoupler switch, good pump to an 8 outlet manifold to the buckets with drains @ bottoms back to resourvour. I also did some soil. I have to say I just love doing it. May sound goofy but it’s so cool to grow stuff and then to use it instead of the little white pills they gave me. I’m havin’ a ball! And this year I’ll go to the coop and get some starts. I’ll have a little coffee french cafe type stuff where my wife (a raving beauty!!) and I can enjoy a cup of joe. Would also like a parakeet to fly free, it it’s not too messy. Sit back, smoke a bit, sip coffee talk and share life. What could be grander? Gonna hook up some vertical strawberry pipes too. Grew mostly ruderalis last year. Turned out pretty nice but a fellow showed me the plant I gave him and it was just along side his house, over 7 feet tall! Awesome. I will do better this year!!
Thanks for ALL the comments.

4 Likes

Any updates on this thread?

Sorry! So busy that I neglected this. My 5 gallon aquaponics is doing fine with 8 feeder fish to produce ferts. Then I have two THC Bomb in a 3 gallon bucket. These are all ruderalis. I had the lights way too high. My bad. A friend also brought over their led grow light and now I have two up. These plants are such little miracles! Gotta love em. The aquaponics one is really getting bushy. At 3" tall it reminds me of a child trying to act like an adult. The two in the soil are doing OK. I had the lights too far away and so the little girls were streeeeching way up there. Since my friend clued me in the lights are lower and the girls seem to be happier.

This is Candy, she is a northern lights ruderalis. The other two areTHC Bomb autos. (Not photo worthy.)
Here is my brand new greenhouse just starting. It will have lots and lots of outlets and support set up for fans and vents. It will have a place for a small work table that will also be the place for enjoying hot chocolate, coffees & cannabis.

It will be 16X10. I will have some chrome wire shelving units at the east end with an 8 pot DWC set up and then soil potted plants as well in the rest of the house. I am very excited to see what can be done in a greenhouse. Had a small one last year. Did all ruderalis except for a renegade regular photo-sensitive Neville Haze that got sent to a friends house and did very well except for mold. Golly the thing was huge.
I believe I want to put three Mille Fluer hens inside too. But that is open as my wife is not fond of birds and did not seem excited when I told her that these little hens love to sit in a lap and be petted. My canary has been gone for two years. After ten years of being able to stay here my wife gave her away as she hated cleaning the cage. any suggestions about the chickens? They are garden birds, bantams, and don’t tear things up like some big birds do.
They love little spiders, snails, snakes & slugs. Which I don’t so we are good friends.
Last year was fun; here is my shelf of last summer’s stuff. Perhaps not the highest quality (no pun intended) BUT I grew it myself!! I am growing my own pharmaceuticals! This endeavor makes my strokes worthwhile as it has opened up a whole new interest.

Thanks to all for the interest and council.

5 Likes

nice bud collection !

Thanks, it was my first grow. Started on this journey after a couple strokes. We spend no little amount of money on pharmas so this is especially exciting for a cheapskate scotsman like myself. It sounds stupid but I can get almost giddy when I think of it. Cannabis works so well on my symptoms that I feel like I am stealing the cure. Thanks! I have stuck to jarring with the humidity control packs and tried water cure too. Interesting but not sold on water cure yet. Also have done some tinctures normally and with nitrous oxide cavitation. I am not impressed with the dosaging with tinctures. This is hampered by the quality of bud as well. So there are some variables that are taught to get around in a home set up. Smoking seems to be the best way to control dosage. Any opinions would be nice. I have gone to our local medical cannabis farmer’s marked and gotten some nice stuff too. But growing it myself is my goal.

OK so I have a question. After reading all I could and trying to get a decent micro viewer to see the little mushroom thingies (stamens?) I have yet to feel confident of proper harvest time. I ended up looking for the white hairs to turn amber. Please tell me there’s a better way. I got not a bad amount but my buds are all loose. I hated to cut any leaf off that had ‘snow’ on them.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Just ordered it. Thanks!

So do you do milky, white or amber?

As you can see I grew several differing strains of Ruderalis. It was fun and it was (and is) a neat hobby. Thanks for the input. This year I will do some DWC ruderalis and some dirt plants that are photosensitive. I will do this in my new 10X16 greenhouse! Color me excited!

Yes, indeed you are 100%. I think I read about it in The Emporers New Cloths by Jack someone. I literally absorbed all I could find specific to growing cannabis and the such. As I recall ruderalis was discovered in the 60’s at the 55th pararelle in Siberia. The seeds mysteriously (and I believe) illegally found their way to California. Maybe in bird droppings? No, it was in Samsonite. Then they started to cross breed with S. & I. Currently they are not too bad. The cannabis I harvested last year you can see in another photo. Except for a Gorilla Glue and Banana Kush all were mated with ruderalis. I know! I know! it’s not the best plant according to some BUT I liked it. It afforded me some growing experience and a little stash to boot This year I will get some clones for my new green house. Here is a photo Candy who is a Norther lite and two others THC Bomb. The girls were really stretching but then a friend clued me in on the lites. Now they look happier.

Here is Candy a northern lights in an aquaponics set up. Just for fun and experience. 8 nasty gold fish in a 5 gallon set up. Started 1/6/17.

This is two THC Bomb’s in soil, one behind the other. Started 1/26/17. They seem to be doing well.

You see I kinda got the bug.

p.s. I only named these three cause it makes my wife laugh. The two THC Bombs are named after two sisters we know at church. I wish everyone had a wife like mine. She’s a dream!

2 Likes