Are there any differences in different brands of worm castings?

Growing in roots organic soil with some of their dry/liquid fertilizers. I cannot find their “big worm” worm castings locally and the bag I ordered online came wet,ripped, and algae on the outside so I’m thinking I use that for the outdoors and send some emails. The local hydro shops have a few different brands, I believe one of them being wiggle worm. Is there any difference?

3 Likes

Just buy some worms and manage ur own bin! That way you can manage their diet with things that are beneficial for ur plants like bananas, fan leaves and kitchen scraps

Fresh castings with fresh flora is always gonna be best

8 Likes

I don’t think it matters what they feed the worms, they can call it organic. But some places would feed the worms cardboard or crops that were sprayed with pesticides. I don’t know who is the best or worst, but I’d prob stay away from the cheapest.

3 Likes

Sure it does, a worms diet is gonna dictate what available nutrition is in their poop. Feed em bananas and it’s gonna be rich in potassium, feed em alfalfa and it’s gonna be rich in nitrogen, our local nurserys worm castings advertises kelp and rock dust added in their diet. a worms diet ultimately is what is gonna make for a good quality or not and how fresh is it that the desired microbes are still alive.

If ur basing it off price then ur in the wrong direction cuz any shitty quality company can slap a high price on it and a good quality company can be reasonable, after all it’s literally shit they are making a business out of.

Id snag the castings out of the worm containers in the fishing section at Walmart when they are doing the weekly cleanout and Throwouts before I’d buy a bag of manufactured castings cuz at least I know they are gonna be fresh with a great microbe flora

But starting a worm bin is gonna be ur best bet entirely, organic weed farming and worm bins def go hand in hand with each other and allows u to recycle the nutrients back into ur soil by feeding them all the fan leaves and otherwise greenwaste

7 Likes

I’ve used the Coast of Maine and that’s good but a blend of castings and soil, or at least not fully composted castings. My grow shop had another brand recently I can’t remember that was pure castings and it was much nicer, almost like dry spent coffee grounds. This brand looks similar and maybe cheaper, from red wigglers, I might try them soon:

5 Likes

I totally agree with you. I was saying they can feed worms non organic stuff, and because the castings are a “by product” of that animal, it’s now considered organic.

It would definitely be best to know the worms diet to steer the microbes in the direction you want. Feed them more fruit/flowers if you want castings for flowering.

2 Likes

I’ve always used this brand Wiggle Worm 100% Pure Organic Worm Castings 30 Pounds - Organic Fertilizer for Houseplants, Vegetables, and More – OMRI-Listed Earthworm Castings to Help Improve Soil Fertility and Aeration https://a.co/d/5FBrRTz

3 Likes

+1 Order worms, get totes from Dollar Store or Wally World, coco coir or peat and feed them veggies, leaves and what not

5 Likes

Thank you all :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I occasionally feed my worms some neem and karanja meal once in awhile….

1 Like