Best bag soil from Home Depot?

I’m using fabric pots outside, and combining it with last years soil. So many choices and price differences. Any suggestions on the cheaper side?

4 Likes

If you mix up some compost into sunshine 4 it’s not terrible for the price :call_me_hand: but really if you can make up your own it will be cheeper and way better quality a simple recipe is 50 percent peat moss 30 percent Aeration(pumice,lava rock rice hulls or perlite but the other 3 options are better) and 20 percent high quality compost will give you some killer soil

12 Likes

There is none imo
No telling what critters that stuff hides.

Foxfarm 2 cf costs 15 bucks approximately
If you want to hit it out of the ball park
FOXFARM only soil I use.

Good luck

2 Likes

I like pro mix hp . Running it for a few years now and like how it performs.

3 Likes

pro mix mixed with composted manure. Dr. earth 2-2-2
i duuno if Homedepot sells Bumper crop buts its the shit! also fuck homedepot go to a local nursery.

8 Likes

Just ammend last year’s soil with compost, Dr earth, and some ewc. It works great.

11 Likes

What this guy said :arrow_up:.Get yourself Some Berger#6 or some Sunshine mix the big white bag and add this stuff.I just bought 3 more bags of this stuff ive used it for about 4 years now and im absolutely in love with it.around 11 bucks a bag lowes wally world and home depot all carry it.The soil you will make from this will be far superior to any bag soil youll find on a hardware’s store shelf .Coast of maine soils those are bad ass but super expensive.With what i give you here you will be able to make your open bag soil pennies on the dollar.

3 Likes

The biggest thing is letting the souls cook after you mix or reammend them.

4 Likes

Totes. thats the one.
nom nom nom

Definitely the promix. Promix is already a great growing soil on its own and it’s a top soil across the commercial flower industry for nurseries and stuff like that. They make a version with mycorrhizae added but that’s not always available. Just stay away from the moisture control one.

2 Likes

2 whole week Cook not a day less or youll have a Nutrient lockout burnout on your hands.After 2 weeks its pot and water thats it

1 Like

I shoot for 4 but 2 weeks is definitely my minimum.

2 Likes

How do you run the promix?

1 Like

I just uppoted about 15 plants over the past two weeks 2 weeks seems to be the sweet spot for the fastest time i leave a huge black tote of this stuff sit and i use it as i go.Last batch sat for two months and i even found nightcrawlers that got in through the bottom from the last freeze thaw we had.Big fast wiggly bastards

1 Like

I’ve found Promix BX to be very consistent and excellent base for building a soil. I have tried sunshine #4 a few times and have had consistently issues, specifically with the peat PH. It acidifies over over time and their quality control is not up to snuff in my experience.

4 Likes

I would do it one of two ways, if you want to use pots fill them up and go

If you plant in ground you need to dig out a hole the size of the pot equivalent you want. Then backfill with soil once you plant. If you plant in ground with added soil, that area where the potting soil changes no native dirt acts like a pot and the roots won’t typically cross this line, or it will at least avoid crossing the line.

A third way
If you’re looking for huge monster plants, you need to plant in ground and do an actual soil amendment. For a small scale you can do a rototiller and till in potting soil but for large scale it’s a heavy equipment job. It’s way cheaper though to just dig a hole and backfill or use a pot vs amending

Whether or not you use pots or plants in ground is just a matter of convenience and harvest goals imo. In ground more work less convenient bigger harvest. Pots are way easier but generally smaller plants smaller yield.

1 Like

Following.
This thread is why I logged in two hours ago and I have been elsewhere glad it’s back at top.
Following
I would also like to know the best organic option at big brand nurseries?!

4 Likes

a Promix HP 3.8cubic feet cube is ~ $45 near me. I add a little vericulite to it. It lasts a very long time.

2 Likes

Does promix have nutrients like soil or is it more of a soilless thing?

1 Like

It’s peat, perlite and vermiculite with mycorrhizae. No nutes.

https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-bx/

2 Likes