Dollar Store Worm Bin

This mornings Sunday Funday project was making a new worm bin from dollar totes and dew worms (aka nightcrawlers) from the corner store, total cost was $20 (CAD) so it’ll be under $25 when I grab the bottom tote to finish it.

A simple two bin (plus a third to go underneath, which they were out of at the moment) system will be more then enough for my needs.
A couple 1/4" holes so the worms can easily move between the bins.

A bunch of 3/32" holes for good drainage (doesn’t need to be precise, anything under 1/8" is fine).
A putty knife is perfect for scrapping the plastic bits left from drilling off.
Some old soil with roots as a base to start

First box of worms, it cost $9.50 for the totes and around $11 for two boxes of worms although you could just use one if you’re on a budget and need to save a couple bucks.
The second box was filled with dead/rotted worms and needed to be replaced, so next was the last days worth of compost; mostly coffee grounds, banana peels and apple cores.
A layer of shredded newspaper as bedding for them to chill and rest in.

The 2nd box of worms added, the first group of wiggly dudes had warmed up enough they were starting to burrow, run and hide when I pulled back the bedding.

I’ll stop at the grocery store on my way to work and see what old fruit they have on sale for 75% off to chop up and toss in to make sure they have enough food. If there isn’t any good deals I’ll simply cook up a small pot of rice and lentils to feed them instead. I wouldn’t bother if I had only bought one box of worms as you need to balance the amount fed with the worm population, having bought extra I want to make sure there’s enough food for them. I’ll also add some kelp meal, alfalfa meal and rock powder once there’s some more castings built up to ensure it’s got lots of minerals in it; dolomite lime and oyster shells as well to buffer the pH and add calcium and magnesium.

I still need to add a tote underneath with a spigot to catch and drain any worm juice that leaches out. Then I’ll get my bokashi buckets set up so I can feed them all my food scraps including meat, bones, alliums (garlic, onions, etc), citrus peels, heavy/oily foods and all the other things that would normally disrupt the balance of a worm bin. Vermiculture and bokashi buckets are ideal for urban homesteaders who want to reduce their carbon footprint, reduce their cost of growing and increase their microbial activity as fresh castings are incredible in A.C.T.

30 Likes

Those worms are monsters

2 Likes

Nightcrawlers, either European or African, are much bigger then the more typical red wigglers that are used. I personally like to mix them as wigglers tend to live closer to the surface and nightcrawlers burrow deeper, so especially with the deeper bins I want to make sure there’s worms active in all areas.

6 Likes

Nice work, I’m sure the worms are grateful for your care.

4 Likes

I thought about getting some different kinds for that reason but I’ve only got maybe 4 or 5 inches of soil/bedding that they’re in.

3 Likes

Gotta love a good symbiotic relationship as I’m grateful for all their poop!

5 Likes

I was gonna start a worm bin for some worm castings, and when I go fishing I can grab some fresh bait from the bin. Never done this before so I’ll be learning from you guys as well
As some YouTube videos.

7 Likes

Welcome to OG & cool LOTR username :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve been using red wigglers & to get migration to the new top most bin the original 1/4” holes seemed restrictive, so I did 1/2” this time & it seems to help. (This may or may not help with that setup but figured I’d mention):sweat_smile:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d stick with red wigglers if I was using shallow beds like that. In the end I doubt it really matters as worm castings depend more on what they’re fed over the kinds of worms used.

1 Like

Always happy to help spread the wiggly agenda and get more growers turning waste to wonder.

1 Like

I’ve never had a problem with 1/4" holes considering how much worms can stretch and narrow their bodies, what gave you the impression they were restricted by the holes instead of still processing food in the lower bins?

2 Likes

It’s fun and easy, and you don’t need more than a bin if you want to go simple. I just keep close eye on moisture, and add paper or coco or both if it gets wet. Started with 500 worms in a bin around 2’ by 1’, 4-6 inches deep. There might be 1000 in there by now, there’s a big wormball near their favorite foods. I use coco coir and paper/cardboard as my basic bedding. I get plenty castings for my 3x3 grow.

2 Likes

I think I´m going to buy a ready made setup next time, last time I did my own box (without a clue really) and one day coming home from work there were dried up wrigglers on the floor, poor bastards… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Single bin systems are definitely effective as long as you pay attention to them, I prefer the simplicity of multiple bins as they tend to self regulate the moisture in the bins more. Although being said I’ve added a black garbage bag to cover the bedding as it’s drying out too quickly with the ambient humidity around 30-40%. Like gardening there’s no right or wrong way to do it, just what works best for your situation.

3 Likes

Worms escaping will happen when their box doesn’t have the right conditions like too much or not enough moisture, not enough bedding/too much castings, etc. Hopefully your next attempt works better but if you’re having problems don’t hesitate to ask for help.

3 Likes

I think it got too dry…

2 Likes

Compacted casts & compost clogging the holes, stragglers :v:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I used buckets like this for many years.
Today I use bigger boxes and a slightly different process to obtain a final product with higher quality!!!
But just the fact of composting and somehow helping the environment is already very rewarding!!!

I would just cut the remains of fruits and vegetables into smaller pieces… the decomposition will be faster!!!

Congratulations!!!

3 Likes

Definitely a likely cause for the worm exodus, I’ve had to collect mine from the lower bin before after a weekend away.

1 Like