Are these any good?

I’m in the process of gathering odds and ends/bits and pieces to get a grow space set up downstairs. My wife and I have been renovating a building for the past 3+ yrs that was an old church built in 1925. It had been renovated over the years, and they had installed 6 LED lights on an 10’ ceilings.
Not knowing a ton about grow lights, I have 3 “real” grow lights, LED and switchable between Veg and Bloom, along with 4-5 of the cheap LED 4’ utility lights you can buy at Family Dollar for $15/ea.

I just came across a few of the LED “lights” and I’m wondering if I can repurpose them.

Specs say 22W, which is a pretty good output I think. More than the 4ft strips.

Are these suitable, or should I buy more “grow” lights.

Lob

5 Likes

I might consider using them for a small veg space. Do they work? Any idea on spectrum?

3 Likes

Best way to know for sure is pop a plant under them and see how it reacts.

5 Likes

Can’t find any temperature color on them.

1 Like

Plug em in and see if they are blueish or reddish. Doesn’t really matter just good to know.

They work…no idea of the spectrum…as I recall from when they were still connected, it leaned heavily towards white, as opposed to the warmer “day glow” spectrums.

Lob

@DougDawson has the best idea.

2 Likes

He usually does.

1 Like

At 22W they will barely cover a ft². You can use them for starts or seedlings, but would need 16 to cover a 4x4 flower area IMO.

3 Likes

Well…I think I’ve got 8 :wink: So it’s a start.

And yeah…I’ll be going with Doug’s idea…thanks.

Lob

2 Likes

I’ve grown nice micro plants with less W. :smiley:

Edit: 840 in the model number could mean 4000K. 840 is used for 4000K in fluorescent lights.

1 Like

I’d definitely try them out, even for side lighting, or just to fill the spectrum why not, free is awesome!

1 Like

I’m going to use them on my next seed pop…and then if need be I’ll go the side light route. I did that with the cheap 4’ LED shop lights last year and seemed to work. I just stood them on end and surrounded the plants with them.

Lob

1 Like