Anyone familiar with fluorescents?

On Facebook marketplace local here, I’m seeing some interesting lights. They seem to actually be high bay lights? Rather than the usual 2 or 3 T8s they have 4 of what looks like T5 (maybe T5HO). They also want $20 a piece! For 2x4ft fixtures!

I’ve been pondering converting an area of the basement a no-till garden for year round produce (mostly things that are expensive at the store, you know? Herbs and herbage. Would this be enough light to flower autos? Why should I not snap up this deal? I see from the ends they have no plugs (not and issue for me at that price) but probably have ballasts.

4 Likes

they would only be good for seedling /early vedge imo …are they 110v or 277v ballasts

3 Likes

On further inspection, actually? Maybe 277v. Which makes things a bit complicated. Good catch.

1 Like

I used T5 single sticks to pop sunflower seeds to sunflower sprouts for a few years. They were awesome.
I would try and barter down, if your going to buy more than 10 of them. Some of my early lights were scrounged from the local scrap yard, as I helping a friend get some lights for his high bay pole building he built. We found 250’s and 400’s we could use. We found some ballasts had the 120 leg cut off so close we could not make the wire nut hold. Man that was 20 years ago, so myself, I’d try to get a sparky to go with you and test a few.
I always got bulk boxes of bulbs/tubes from 1000bulbs.com myself. Hell my last box has 2014 on the end of it. Good luck, I think that is a great find, when looking to repurpose items.

3 Likes

If they are ho t5, I’ve flowered under them many times. You gotta be like 6" away from canopy though for quality herb.

4 Likes

Would they still do better than a LED copy of them? Some shops have only been selling LED lights! Thanks.

T5, 6500K, correct?

6500k works well, 5400k is better.

Leds are better every week. At that price they can’t be beat

4 Likes

Then just rewire them for double ended led bulbs. They use half the juice or so, and less than half the heat from what I’m experiencing. The plants love them, and you can get them in different k.

5 Likes

That is a good deal. If those are t5, I would buy them.

2 Likes

Yep I’d get them if they’re the right Kelvin number. I’ve seen some fixtures like that on a garage ceiling and they were BRIGHT.

I think I’ll pick up a few, provided everything checks out. I’ll be my own testing team, pretty sure I know what to look for, they just took shot pictures (which makes me suspect but oh well)

Edit
They’re allegedly 120v, I’m considering bringing a plug and test them there, might sketch them out we’ll see. Some people are cool with strangers hooking things up and plugging them into their house and others aren’t. But 6 for $100 TBH I’m not that mad if they don’t all work.

5 Likes

As a bang for the buck it sounds good enough to keep mothers, young ones till they go to flowering! Go for it! :laughing:

3 Likes

They are indeed T5HO, and though they were set up for 277v it looks like everything is good to connect to 120v. Just have to buy some cords with plug ends. Even came with Wagos not wire nuts!

I’m happy as a clam, I haven’t powered anything of them on. They’re dirty as hell but look good otherwise, I’ll have to get one set up here soon.

4 Likes

Awesome! Hang them, put some new bulbs in and rock out!!

2 Likes

Just looking at the picture. They will veg. I know that. Good lights. Even if you only get one or two to work. I think it’s worth it. But compare the money. That the problem with stuff like that. What is the final cost.

2 Likes

I agree with the other guys here. Or ladies

1 Like

I have a T5 I’ve used for seedlings, clones, and even halfway through veg and have no complaints. For that price I’d pick up at least one.

3 Likes

The one thing I have noticed over the years. If they hurts your eyes. It will grow.

Yeah, they’re clearly from a garage. Coated in soot. Going to be an absolute PITA to clean.

1 Like

If you can, I would cut out the ballasts and site them for double ended led bulbs. They take half the draw, put out way less heat, and my plants are loving them.

They costs about twice as much, but last a lot longer also.

I know you are handy, the direct conversion bulbs are super high, so rewire them.

Good find buddy, those will do you well.

5 Likes