Spider mite hell

I was going through my mothers last night and I spotted a patch of spider mites that I thought I had taken care of and now they are back with a vengeance.Can I just put two paper plates cut and Press and seal Syran Wrap them to the top of my dirt in the pot and flip it over and soak it in a bucket of dawn dish soap for a bit without killing my plant?I sprayed the shit out of it and got under every leaf last time and now I want to just make a dip and drown the fuckers.

7 Likes

I’ve done this with varying success. :smiley:
If the plants root ball is spall enough, I put the whole pot into a garbage bag after making a disc of cardboard to press flat onto the top of the soil mass (with a cut in it like a cloning disc), then I tied it off the bag around the base of the stem and went to town upside down while holding the cardboard disc in place (*just in case).

I sprayed the top of the soil afterwards with the same insect soap solution in hopes of dealing with the fuckers OR do a H202 root drench. All the best with your battle!

8 Likes

You’ll wash off a lot of them but it only takes a couple left behind or a couple eggs and in a few short weeks they’ll be right back, and you’ll be fighting them potentially for years if your weapon of choice is soap.

I recommend a systemic acaricide such as abamectin to eradicate the population and better care to prevent reinfestation going forward.

14 Likes

I’m pretty much going to do exactly what your doing to the pot of the plant I plan on filling a 5 gallon bucket with room temp water and dawn dish soap and putting two paint stirring sticks on top of the bucket and flipping my plant upside down and soaking the whole thing to the base of the stem in soap water for 10 min.I was going to spray some neem oil on top of the plastic wrap on the pot just in case I got some Everest climbers that wanted to escape now the have to walk through the oil and are fucked.

1 Like

I’ll be checking this out thank you

Basically same stuff you give dogs and cats for heartworm/fleas/ticks, ivermectin. Kills worms, mites, bugs…etc.

domyown dot com for all your pesticide needs.

9 Likes

This works been using it for over 18yrs. the key is to spray it every 2-3 days for a week…these 2 have mites from being outside and I’m confident that I will win the battle…

3 Likes

Don’t use dish soap, it can easily burn your plants. I use garden soap, but I do as you described, I swirl and mix with the plant and let the plant sit submerged for at least 30 seconds. Repeat every 2-3 days for a week or two when you have an infestation (wash off old dried on soap first, could still burn plants after multiple coating). Once a week or every other week as a prevention. Cutting back your mothers first will make this a lot easier, and overall reduces the number of mites/eggs as your tossing them out.
Oh, I do this same thing as preventative or treatment for mildew, I add 1/4 cup per gallon of powdered elemental sulfur to the soap dip. Mix it well before dipping each plant. I just use the plant to do the mixing lol.

8 Likes

:point_up:Maybe try this guys recipe

7 Likes

I bought some lost coast plant therapy. It works for all types of mites as far as I know. I am still waiting on it. I purchased it a couple days ago.

2 Likes

I ordered some of this stuff and it didn’t do a thing for mites.If you look at the ingredients you could mix the shit yourself with ingredients from save a lot.Would say it was a waste of money but I got it for free when Amazon shipping broke open my bag of oneshot that was packaged with the shipment and they refunded me my money but said toss the package.The bottle was still good and so was most of the oneshot.

1 Like

How would you dose that for the spray mix?What ratio to water?

You should buy formulas for plants, just illustrating that avermectins are a common thing.

Abamectin is commonly available under brand name “Avid” though there are many others. There are many other acaricides available.

3 Likes

Oooops you were correct if talking about the miticide generic name is Abemectin…Ivermectin is a internal medicine for internal parasites of cats/dogs…not the same chemical AT ALL!!

2 Likes

I got fisted by mites last grow from clones i got off someone. They all but ruined 2 plants in one tent and were making their wayup 3 plants in another tent but thankfully they were harvested before the webs of death appeared.

I managed to eradicate them in the smaller tent by bombing the tent post harvest with bug bombs and spraying down every surface of the tent with mite rid and leaving it for a few days. When i moved the plants in there I gave them two foliar sprays of miterid a few days apart. They did not come back after that.

In the larger tent I bombed the tent twice mite sprayed every surface and then when i put the new plants in i gave them 1 drench of azadirachtin and 2 foliar spray doses of miterid about 4 days apart. Still early days yet but hopefully that has them gone in the big tent. Will report back end of this grow but they are for sure gone from the small tent

3 Likes

pyrethrin is a miteicide made from chrysanthemums it is organic and safe up till the d a.c 6 of harvest “though I have never personally tried this” anyway it works 2 applications like 3 or 4 days apart if you aren’t in fl wer yet neem works used the same way but be careful it can burn young plants also .wiping underside with iso on a towel again be careful as it can also burn young plants lastly DE works to some degree get a duster thingy the key is 2 or more applications a few days apart to get them all good luck
Bliss

3 Likes

Both avermectins, both kill invertebrates, functionally the same thing.

But by all means, be pedantic lol.

1 Like

I went on a gut feeling and just said fuck it and used what I had I worked on that mother plant for a long time and I had it with these little fuckers and soaked the plant upside down for 15 min in a 5 gallon bucket mixed with tap water and dawn dish soap dipping it up and down and twisting it like a washing machine for 5 minI took it out let it soak and dry for 5 min then rinsed it off real good let it dry again then I took the press and seal wrap off with the paper plates and sprayed the plant top to bottom under every leaf and the top of my soil with a neem and soap and water solution and I can’t find one egg and I killed all the dirt gnats.No burn and I removed all the eaten vegetation for observation.They never went on my Texada Timewarp mom in the same room.

4 Likes

Just hop on Arbico and get some predator mites that specialize in hunting spider mites + Neem oil spray. Use the oil as your first wave attack, then release the predators to finish the remaining mites and eggs. Never had any issue with this method and there’s less risk of plant damage unless you use too much neem.

2 Likes

Neem smells like Chinese food to me.

3 Likes