Are these mites or something else?

Haven’t used Soil Balance Pro since they were outed on Hash Church. Then Build a Soil had it tested and showed it had a N rating of 11. But I can back off the water a bit and see if it improves. I’ll definitely have to spray water to clean off the sugar left on the leaves. Maybe I should add some LAB, they will get rid of any sugar residue.

great photos of the pests, this is fascinating to me - mites on a cannabis plant that aren’t spider mites? Never heard of that. When I’ve had spider mites they were the 2-spot usual suspects.

The very first sign of the “Borg” for me are always the white spots - specks - on the leaves. that’s what I"m looking for when I inspect, if you don’t see any white specks on leaves near the mites they can’t be spider mites.

I got them indoors a few weeks before harvest. I sprayed with Safer’s soap and then dumped a vial of predatory mites on the flowering tops. Never saw any more mites until harvest. I stopped growing in that room for 3 months to avoid any eggs hatching out. Apparently spider mites like to crawl into corners and cracks and lay eggs there. Predatory mites are expensive but so cool - like sending out a little hit squad.

3 Likes

As far as I can tell, they are not damaging the plants, and I can’t find any eggs (unless I’m confusing them with trichomes, but they seem to look different).

1 Like

try method 1 pps, kills mites on contact

2 Likes

I’m sure Neem will get rid of them - I used to always spray with Neem oil during veg and 2 weeks into flower as a preventative. Actually I use a product called “Einstein Oil” seems to work really well. It smells strong, I wouldn’t use it on flowers.

*edit, so you have neem meal in the soil mix - maybe the bugs are not feeding on the plants and therefore not getting any Neem?

1 Like

@legalcanada, I ordered it and it should be here soon.

@Muleskinner, I used some neem oil once and it is in the soil, will hit them with it again tomorrow most likely. I think we have established that they arent eating the plants?
No white dots, and the plants look healthy and are praying.

Check the video on Instaagram out, and you can tell much better what they look like. Watching them reminds me of the way a sucker fish scrums the bottom of an aquarium.

1 Like

This thread is funnyXD guys, neem, hemp, jojoba, spinosad, none will work. They promote beneficials. These guys will come out and clean the residues off your leaves because they LOVE it. Especially with some super good smelling essential oils mixed in. The one way to rid benes is… you guess it… deadly poisons. Or synthetic fertilizers. So try either of those😉 hahahahahah

3 Likes

wow, it does looks like a grain mite! The array of hairs out the back end sure looks like a match. nice video btw

it sounds like grain mites only eat dead, dried plants and not live ones

3 Likes

@ReikoX could try chopping his living cover and maybe thatll help!:slight_smile:

Salutations

Ah! Here’s something i can do:

Water sprays helped making them more obvious…

Which was spidermites to me.

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

4 Likes

I’m almost to the point of laughing or burning down my house and moving. Where is my Avid and Floramite? I’m already using chemical fertilizers so why not? :grin:

2 Likes

These little bastards aren’t good for your plants

https://www.google.com/search?kgmid=/m/02gytr&hl=en-US&kgs=84a07d6b5fbebf11&q=Tetranychus+urticae&shndl=0&source=sh/x/kp&entrypoint=sh/x/kp

1 Like

89.9 percent sure they are grain mites. They eat mold and fungus not living plants. I’m not seeing spider mite damage or webbing.

Well no wonder they are on my plants. I was looking closely at my clover and realized that what I thought was dust or barley particles was actually more mites. Holy crap there are a ton of them. Tonight I did a foliar spray with LAB just because the poor plant needs something nice sprayed on it for a change. They still look healthy despite the coating of mites. Man it makes my skin crawl every time I see them.

4 Likes

They are so fuckin creepy they make my skin crawl to think they could be in the house, to say the least I won’t be doing no malted grain infusion whatever’s.

2 Likes

Dude thats soo sexy!!!

2 Likes

Salutations Uncle_Al,

My skin itched instantly when i looked at this picture, though mine had a crimson taint. Too bad i had no USB Microscope back then!!

4 Likes

I wonder if predatory mites would attack them? Would make for some great video!

2 Likes

Salutations MuleSkinner,

Not if the sprays send them away 1st, as i’d suspect. This is why i once had a desire to explore alternatives based on Colloïdal Silver, or more exactly “NanoSilver” e.g. “AgNPs” as in “Silver Nano Particles”…

Cost wouldn’t have been an issue but posology quite certainly, because i couldn’t tell if there’s a sufficient guard-band between the concentrations required to penetrate and kill an egg (which cannot “adapt” like an adult “Borg” which had mutated previously), while it’s a well known fact that elevated enough concentrations levels of CS will induce a physiological “sex-change” turning the precursors of calix-based flowers into a collection of “bananas”, as everyone often chooses to call it… In any case lets say i was ready and willing to grow males in this scenario, which i never have in the end.

This means that was only based on a theory. One other avenue that once made me curious was some ozone-based machine but this was years ago and yet there didn’t seem to be any echo of it except from its manufacturer (!), so…

I was actually thinking similar: that’s quite the type of situation where cultivators should equip themselves with a USB Microscope! That would help with indentification, no doubt.

3 Likes

when you drop predatory mites onto the plant they immediately run to the underside of the leaves to kill the spider mites. They jam two prongs into the body and suck out the juice! They eat the eggs for dessert.

5 Likes

Hi again MuleSkinner,

What an adorable sight that must be! Lets use this opportunity to remind macro-photo and microscopic snapshot amateurs that light is essential during a photo session: after all we don’t want to miss any detail!..

:wink:

But do predators follow The Borg where there’s been pesticide sprays before that mutated spidermites can stand?

That is the sort of question i’d ask myself if i were in such similar position even with all the goodies available, direct from the shelf of a local store. No I.D.s asked…

2 Likes