Auto Drip System for SOG

Ok, trial and error it is.
Was just hoping to get a short cut lol.
Thanks for the info, so if it were 400 ml a day, it would be 16 -17 ml an hour. Gotcha.

2 Likes

One inch of rainfall per week equals 4.7 gallons of water per square yard. It is difficult to fiqure small space though…

3 Likes

@HaRdRoC, I bought that same drip system. I found it to be very inconsistent, some plants got drenched and others were too dry. I ended up using the pump to agitate the reservoir on a Blumat system, that works great. This is the system I bought and am very happy with. I made my own reservoir. Getting ready to start another tent and got more Blumats for a second system.

2 Likes

What size reservoir do you use and for how many plants?
These work gravity fed as well?
Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.
I have no clue about this, and will be my 1st time watering any other way then by hand.
I am doing lots to research, but there is so many different ways to go about it.

This is the setup I found that most say works the best…
I will have 4 rows of 5 pots, from the line running from the rez into the tent, I will put a T and run 2 lines between two rows each and run drippers off each side, then put a 90 on each end and connect the ends to form a rectangle.
They say to do this so the drippers run about the same, more so than just capping them off.

That sound about right?

2 Likes

I have 7 gallon reservoirs, only because I’m limited by space and money. For 5 plants, it’s emptied in about a week at peak consumption in bloom. YMMV.

Creating a looped system, rather than when lines terminate at the end, is recommended by Blumat and everyone else I’ve ever heard. It’s more of an ideal than a necessity, though. I do it, too, FWIW.

Another thought is to run 2 separate reservoirs, each with its own looped system. This could reduce the possibility of catastrophic failure. Even if half the room has drip-related problems, it’s less likely the other half would have the same problem bc each half has its own reservoir. May not be feasible for you, but worth a mention.

3 Likes

That is a good idea, but the way my room is set up, there’s only room for 1 res, or else I would do that.

I don’t think I’ll have much problem with pressure, as the res itself will be 4’ off the floor, and will be right next to the tent and only has a 2x2 area to cover lol

1 Like

I use a 5-gal bucket for my reservoir(can also attach more). Currently have 8 plants in 1 gal pots, on Blumats. I haven’t really kept track but probably use 1/2 gal of water a day. What I like is each plant gets the water it needs, when it needs it and no more. I don’t totally fill the 5 gal because I can better control nutes 1-2 gals at a time. I’ll be vacationing for 6 weeks soon so I’ll be testing how long a full 5-gals last.(gonna try growing 10 autos). What has been suggested by @crazaer with the loop is spot on, too.

3 Likes

Ok, you guys convinced me, Blumats it is.
I’ll try a 12 pack and see how I like them, and do the rest by hand to see the difference. If I can get them dialed in and they work well, I will get the rest.

4 Likes

Something I learned the hard way, before you soak the carrots, open the head valve and pull the feed hose out an inch, then roll the flat spot in your fingers and it’ll pop open. Then pull it back into position and close the valve back down. It’ll make more sense when you get them.

5 Likes

Thank you for the heads up, much appreciated

1 Like

The website suggests that liquid ferts can be added to the rez and that the rez can be placed higher, level or lower than the pot.
Edit - Lower than or equal too is the ideal position!
Things that make you go “Hmmm”.
https://www.blumat.com/classic/funktion
Easy to clean too.
I would’ve thought they would plug up too quickly.
:+1:

4 Likes

I think that’s in German? Lol

3 Likes

Sprichst du Deutsch? einen schönen Abend(Do you speak German? Have a nice evening) :blush:

2 Likes

Vy?
Was ist de problehm?

3 Likes

Hahaha, I could tell what you ment by the pix.
I will definitely have the rez about 4’ up, can’t put it below, and I don’t trust it giving enough pressure on the same level

3 Likes

By “looped system” you mean connect all the blu mats together with a single feed from the rez rather than run separate feeds to each pot?

2 Likes

Single feed line, looped back on it’s self and all the emitters coming off the main line for each pot

2 Likes

This is from the instruction manual " When installed correctly, Blumat draws the water automatically from the container." https://www.blumat.com/storage/app/media/Manuals_Classic/blumatclassicmanual10-languagesweb-2016.pdf
I wonder why that other link is in German for you, I see it in English.
More Things that make you go Hmmm.

Thanks bud!
So in electronic terms looped is “parallel” and my question is “series”?
Good, series sucks.
(20 character min)

1 Like

Yes, the system comes with two reservoir header connectors to loop all pots with a single hose and return to the reservoir. If one line gets plugged or kinked the plants will still be fed by the other line.

3 Likes