Autoflower ppfd info

Ya my porch is about 20 feet off the ground and I get crazy ppfd numbers out there,last year the plants out there did fine,autos and the ones I vegged sprayed with sulfur and finished inside,so the only thing it can be is the heat from the light because it’s only on the tops of each branch,what I wanna know is if I could get great results with a 750 watt hps light dialed down,and led lights are 2x as efficient shouldnt I get the same results with an led light with 1/2 the watts which would be 375 watts? Also not running c02

1 Like

That actually varies with brands of lights, chip count, etc. The higher end lights are close to or exceeding double the efficacy of HPS lights. HLG’s Scorpion Diablo has a PPFE of 2.97 , a good HPS lamp has a PPFE of 1.45. Also, HPS produces heat that is radiated down onto the plants, where . as LED heat exits mostly through the heatsink. I have a custom built lamp built with Diablo boards. I used a pair of 240 watt drivers fr a total of 480 watts of power. I garrantee it will produce as well as or better than any HPS light a 1000 watts or less and come close to the new ( last gasp … ) 1400 watt lamps. Better spectrum also is wht LED is killing HPS,
I just took a measurement of PPFD under that lamp. At 22 inches, I’m getting an average of 750 PPFD. If I lower it about 4 inches it will be close to 1000 PPFD. Here’s a pic:

Whats your grow space?,do you keep it at full blast the whole cycle? Or turn it down in veg? Are you running autos? Light cycle?,Im just curious trying to get as much info from others as i can to try to improve my growing,thanks for any answers appreciated