Beans for Soil / Soil Amenities ( an idea )

Ok, so say your someone on hard times, you have one grow under your belt with backyard soil ( Georgia soil at least where I am is compact and clayish ) which was semi sucess.

And then you have another grow where it was happy frog, and it was doing great but I had to end that one sadly.

And then its now, where you have popped many beans in the past months and nothing has actually stuck and grown. I think its my soil dude lol.

Its leftover soil mixed with backyard and old oriental plant soil.

If you look at my past grows of recent times youll See I am over-watering alot… And I think its the soil still. like 50/50 me vs the soils fault.

So I was wondering, what if I got some beans together, and traded with someone for some soil / perlite / amenities etc. . :stuck_out_tongue:

It kind of sounds silly but if I got some soil from one of you guys, I swear ill finally have some success. I just dont have funds right now to get any pre mixed or coco noir etc.

Edit : I do realize beans flow freely here, so it would have to be out of the kindness of someones heart haha. I am talking at least 30 beans though for 5-10 gallons of soil thats gonna get me through a grow or two … lol please let me know if this is just a silly idea overall and If I should take down the post :!

6 Likes

You can easy use kitchen scraps ( no meat ) vegetable matter only
And make a compost bin
Also add local worms and you will get a great mix to blend into you old soil mixture

Paps

9 Likes

You might want to check if there is a local municipal compost. You may be able to get compost free or almost.

7 Likes

Do you have a ace or home depot. I use 10 dollar bags and feed nutes all the time. It’s been working great for years!

5 Likes

Shipping soil can become more expensive than buying the inputs sometimes. Where are you located roughly?

Lol as you answered in your first line… goodness. Stoned eyes, my bad.

2 Likes

Right on good point, Georgia haha

1 Like

You can order it off Amazon rainforest

2 Likes

I’ve done this before.

1 Like

what is amazon rain forest.

Also I have forest nearby, would soil from the forest be nice?

I was just kidding. Amazon.com has soil shipped to your front door!.

3 Likes

You’re gonna need as much well rotted organic matter as you can get, I’d look into free municipal compost, aged manures if you can find some for free (old cow patties are just fine, or if you can clean out a stall that’s been empty for a while etc. You can gather leaf mold from the forest, you want deciduous leaves not conifer needles, your Piedmont soil is already acidic besides the heavy clay texture. Leaf mold is the nice wet brown stuff between the upper layer of fresh leaves and the actual dirt, it’s great and it’s free. Rabbit pellets are great to use right away if you have a source of those, no aging required. If there’s a brewery near you, call and ask if you can come get a tote or two of spent mash, there’s research showing that it’s great for soil regeneration:

If you know someone who mows their lawn or field and tosses in a pile orover a hillside, and doesn’t spray nasty chemicals, go dig out that pile and get the musty half decomposed stuff off the bottom, that’s excellent too. Anything to up the ratio of organic matter to non-organic matter that’s already well decomposing and loaded with microbial and fungal life is what you want, really.

You need to add liming in some form, could be actual lime (I like Espoma Lightning Lime, which is micronized then made into pellets, so it’s mostly dust free but breaks down and gets working in just a month or two. Gypsum is a good and dirt cheap option you might be able to get for free from someone’s garage or barn. Clam shells are great, so are bone meals, crab shells, fish bones, scales, guts, shrimp shells, anything like that. If you can get feathers or blood from a neighbor, farm, or slaughterhouse those are also great, and composted chicken manure or bedding is usually dirt cheap at a farm supply in big bags. Greensand is good too if you come across that, your soil probably needs potassium to balance the sodium content too. For aeration maybe you can find rice hulls somewhere? Or wheat chaff, stuff like that, also landscaping pumice is great stuff that sits around free sometimes.

A good start might be going to your local farmers market and talking to farmers and food producers about what sorts of wastes they have around, when I was a bread baker at one place we had a pig farmer who would come take the old hard bread and mix it with boiling water in a barrel for slop after running the loaves through a wood chipper. That wouldn’t be a bad thing to add into your soil, basically malted and digested grains just like the brewers mash. I’m here for you dude you can do this!

I think this thread is a good start to read:

https://permies.com/t/88823/Building-heavy-acidic-clay-soil

And this is a good one about making leaf mold:

https://permies.com/t/13602/Incredible-Amazing-Leaf-Mold

7 Likes

I get nice black mulch/compost from my local garbage depot for $20/yard just like this place has, you can usually find places like this pretty close to home. These folks use aerated static piles which seems to be a popular method down south, up here I see a lot more active turning of the piles and they mill it twice once in the fall and once in the spring, it cooks through the winter.

5 Likes

Yes. @Dirt_Wizard has given you all you need to know to “make” your own soil. The soil you produce yourself will be a thousand times better than anything you can buy in a store. Also I believe there is something special about the native micro-life that has evolved to live in your climate. I have always “made” my own soil. Im not trying to be a “smart ass” but , in a real sense, if you walk outside it is laying on the ground everywhere. :grin:

3 Likes

It depends on the forest, but forest topsoil should be good for a grow without much amendment. I add forest topsoil for the beneficial microorganisms and also mulch with forest mulch layer most of the time.

4 Likes

What county in Georgia, maybe we can help u look to see if there is something near u…

1 Like

Chatham ! ty mate

1 Like

maybe u can call hear and ask is they have free soil.Looks like they compost and give stuff out …

County Savings Continue to Mount through
Yard Waste Recycling Program

Chatham County has avoided nearly $233,800 in disposal fees for the month of June 2010 by recycling and diverting over 8,350 tons of yard waste collected and chipped into a reusable mulch product.

An even more positive note is that all the chip/mulch produced has been given away to the public free of charge. The chip/mulch material is available at County drop-off centers during normal operating hours. Residents interested in the material should bring containers and appropriate loading equipment.

QUESTIONS? CALL (912) 652-6840

4 Likes

Its one place u can start and ask…

1 Like

i agree sounds like a great place to start, ill for sure check these guys out

3 Likes

yes, were i live the city does the same thing , they compost and they give out free soil, u just have to bring containers or a truck to put it into

3 Likes