Soil recommendations? Former Fox Farm User.

I have always ran Ocean Forest for indoor grows in the past.

After a decade long hiatus, I am trying to set up an outdoor grow in the near future.

Locally, I am having trouble locating any Ocean Forest like I am accustomed to using. One of my local hydro shops is trying to sell me on the Royal Gold Mendo Mix which they are claiming is comparable to the Ocean Forest.

Do you guys have any first hand experience with the Mendo Mix? Or any recommendations on soil manufacturers that I should be looking into?

Any help is appreciated!

5 Likes

My favorite is gaia green living soil. Its canadian so not sure if y r a yank or not.

1 Like

Yeah I am a California native.

I used to be able to find Fox Farms pretty easily but it seems a lot of these hydro shops are not stocking it anymore.

I WILL say that my location is very hot and the Royal Gold is marketed as being good in warmer climates. Wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with the stuff.

Near as I can tell they have been shipping all of their FFHF & FFOF to Canada. I’ve seen skid loads everywhere since Xmas. 25~30$ an bag too.
There is a post here (somewhere) saying the Royal Gold as very comparable to FFOF.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Appreciate that info!

I really liked using OF. That’s all I used indoor for a long time.

But I am thinking I give this Royal Gold a go for the outdoor.

Sounds like it might be a better fit for a warm climate like mine.

2 Likes

If you’re buying pre made bagged soil over making your own I’d definitely check out buildasoils mixs they have available. They even have microbiome tests to go with most of them. Or check out KIS organics, Tad also makes excellent organic soils.

4 Likes

Sweet I will read up on those as well now.

I am really not sure what route I am going to go yet but I want to get it figured out soon!

I appreciate it!

1 Like

Your best option and direction was getting rid of Fox Farms soil. I personally would never use their soils, they are not consistent at all . Your better off making your own or using may others out there superior to FF

6 Likes

I use this…
https://www.zenhydro.com/vermicrop-vermifire-1-5-cu-ft-55-plt.html?msclkid=6e39c1be94c01872dbb79fd3d274dda3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Zenhydro%20Bing%20PLA&utm_term=4576717151092151&utm_content=All%20Products

1 Like

Do you have a Green Coast Hydroponics store near you? They are all over Cali. They sell both the fox farms and the vermifire there. This brand is far superior to the fox farms imho. The fox farms always tends to be too hot and burns the plants.

Grab a shovel, find a big shady tree and dig under it, place in bag transport home. Soil test. Add what you need/ desire go from there. You are 100 bringing home something in bagged soil.

2 Likes

Don’t forget boatloads of coco or perlite.

2 Likes

If you were going to dig native soils, I would instead use KNF tech to just harvest indigenous microbes and just multi them and add to a soil mix.

4 Likes

If you would like to go organic and make your own soil, this thread is recent. A few members help @BDGrows get going in organics. Really a good place to start with good discussion.
I give some help but there are a bunch really experienced organic growers helping. I have enjoyed it.

Edit: I have a good background in soil mixing. I have worked in agriculture and grown organic indoors for 5 years. If you need any help let me know.

3 Likes

I’ve been hearing a lot about packaged living soils. I’ll be trying SoHum Living Soil for my next run.

Nice I am going to read that now.

I have made my own mix before for my raised beds which I have been running for a couple of years now. But I wanted some good first hand experience with what would be best for this application.

Looks like some good insight. Thank you!

I’ve been mixing organic soil myself as well but mostly in the ground. All the container gardening Ive done used perlite. I really like the idea of something nature makes instead. I have been adding biochar to my mixes, because I burn wood. Each year I’ve added more, and I’m hoping at one point that will be enough. I haven’t seen much pumice or lava rock my way ( small bags)so I’ll have to look online. I really appreciate the offer of help.

I’m going to have to read up on the bio char.

I do a lot of cooking over wood and have lots that could be useful for me.

1 Like

Check out “Terra Preta” as well, that’s the historical part.

Cheers
G

1 Like

I’m sure there is plenty of good info out there. I got mine from ancient history. In the Amazon a soil was found that is manmade and growing. ( yes) it actually ( this soil) grows larger every year with no current human influence. Called " black earth" I think it is. In Portuguese it’s called Terra Preta. Two main ingredients are biochar and broken pottery. I’ve been experimenting with my soil to see how much I can add. I have not added the pottery. Lol ( maybe sometime) I like the idea of soil that continues to improve without my help.

2 Likes