Biochar! Charcol for the garden

Yeah, I’m sure it got charged just fine :+1::seedling:

1 Like

Difficult to tell from your pics but green mold is the one you have to worry about.
The posters at The Shroomery scared the crap outta me when one of my spawn jars got it.

1 Like

Would natural lump charcoal work?
It’s not processed, just partially burned hardwood.
Available at most big box stores.

4 Likes

I believe lump charcoal to be the same thing as biochar … I wouldn’t use kingsford charcoal or anything of the like that stuff has binders and fillers and chemicals in them ! You could also scope out old fire pits and gets chunks of char that way also! Easy source there!

2 Likes

Yes absolutely lump charcoal. It’s kind of difficult to get it into smallish pea sized chunks though. It’s what I use, smash it, charge it, use it. :smiling_imp: :hammer: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

It is also a good source of sulphur and potash if you burn it and spread it on top of the soil before it gets wet…I grill most all of my food on a green egg grill and use lump charcoal…I have a compost pile that gets old dirt, bokashied materiel, grill ashes, select horseshit, cowshit, goatshit, chicken shit…so I did not feel the need for me to shit in it…lawn clippings, leaves, etc…for my outside boxes for Veges etc.

I have charged lump charcoal with EM-1 before…I save the dust and smaller parts from each bag as it accumulates fast using the grill 3-4 times a week etc…but I also crush it in a 6" round steel pipe set on a steel plate with the round flat end of a digging bar or sledge hammer…works great.

3 Likes

I run a veggie farm and I pile and burn leaves and small twigs down all the rows in the spring and fall, helps kill unwanted seeds and is great for all the above mentioned reasons :+1:

5 Likes