Boogie blue plus water filter

I’m looking at this to help remove chlorine and chloramine. It states it removes up to 99% of chlorine and 87% of chloramine. I would still have to treat the water to brew compost and ewc tea, but this should help. It also helps remove heavy metals.

Does anyone have experience with this filter? I would like some testimonial. It would especially be helpful from someone who has verified their tea quality with a microscope after using this filter. Any good input is greatly appreciated.

6 Likes

Never tried or seen it I use w air stone and a small fish tank air pump

1 Like

Usually the local municipalities post yearly water reports on-line. They can be an interesting read.

Cheers
G

1 Like

I believe that we received ours in the mail. I’m gonna check up in that. I remember seeing that we for sure had chloramine in ours. I look forward to having a well someday.

2 Likes

I believe found it didn’t matter in soil been a while since I watched it. I also believe I’ve read a handful of peat or compost into the water kills off the chlorine. It may kill some microbes but I think more than less will survive and grow in your brew. Just my thoughts.

I do use the boogie brew tea with my tap water that’s horrible quality.

3 Likes

Great idea for a thread @Badger Iv always wanted to get an in-line filter for my compost tea spraying I have used tap water straight In making teas and have found it doesn’t have much effect on the microbes but I always aerate my water prior to inoculation for a few hours … Iv also used rain water and local stream water too I have Analyzed my teas under the scope after brewing and the counts are ridiculously high so much that I have do at least a 1:10 dilution or more to even get it in a countable range .

I used my teas in an ortho sprayer on the highest setting , with it being sprayed it help with chlorine dissipation but it would probably knock the numbers back a bit but not enough to make it ineffective

I know compost will knock the chlorine out but not sure if it’s impact with chloramine

For me it would be a more of a peace of mind than anything

3 Likes

On a side note I don’t use those dinky pet store pumps I run an eco pump that puts out 45 liters/min and really gets the water bouncing I can run up to 3( 5 gallon buckets ) easily more air the better you don’t want it to go anaerobic.

1 Like

What can those filters be purchased for?

1 Like

It shows 59 on their website with free shipping.

I saw it on Amazon for 48. 60 bunbled with a pound of black soldier fly larva. It took me forever to get rid of the black soldier flies out of my worm bin, no thanks.

I’m running super low on rainwater and no rain in sight, so I’m exploring my options. I ha e about 20 gallons of water in buckets with a handful of compost in them to neutralize the chloramine, and I leave it for 24 hours to let the chlorine dissipate. I was looking for a quicker option and a friend told me about this.

There are tons of options out there. I don’t want to go spend the money buying ro water if I can help it. Once I can get a house and get a better rain collection system set up, it will help alot. Obviously I need something else until then.

Tinytuttle I am glad to know that chlorine and chloramine should have a minimal effect on my teas as long as I take some precautions first. My pump was the biggest bass pro shops had, so I only run one bucket at a time with both lines in it. I will have a better setup someday, but I am just knocking off my growing dust right now. I had to start somewhere, and this tea stuff is awesome.

Any other good, cheap options? I know those 2 words don’t always go together, but I gotta try to find some e asuble stuff for those of us on a shoestring budget.

Also, tinytuttle, how long do you normally brew your teas?

I thought the compost or dirt was to get the chloramine to bind to it. Chlorine will evaporate if given time.

2 Likes

If ya have a stream , canal, or lake nearby go for those… you’ll even get more diversity in your microbes this way even a gallon or two mixed with rain water would be great … as for tea brew time I like start on a Friday morning and apply Saturday night a couple hours before sundown , ( 36 hours max) apply really early in the morning like or real late I also water my lawn prior to tea application … yes I don’t even use dry fertilizers on my grass anymore for like the last 8 years or more don’t need to , it all goes on my lawn , planters or pots , trees annuals and perennials, or anything I can think of I believe is helps with disease and pests as well, an over all win-win . The best timing is right before a rain which sometimes is hard but beneficial.

It’s Like the Franks hot sauce commercial “ I put the shit on everything!” Lol

2 Likes

There was even a podcast that I had listened to years ago about a guy that had a weird bacterial skin condition and discovered by accident that when he was working as a city employee in their organic spray program that his skin had cleared up from having got over spray on himself ! Go figure!

1 Like

With a river or stream or lake (have plenty), then that’s another pump, hose, etc. It just seems less feasible in my situation.

It may just be easiest for me to keep using tap water and keep treating it for now. It’s not that much work, but always looking for something better, right?

1 Like

Nah just kick the sandals off roll the pants up take a bucket and go dip it in … alert the weight coming back will be about 45 lbs heavier and might get ya stuck in the mud! Lol​:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

It would probably help take this covid 15 off me. Geez, it’s just like finishing college man, I’m back up to the same exact weight. Is there that much of a microbe advantage with using lake water? What beneficials could this help add to my soil? Interesting food web there I imagine.

1 Like

It would just increase its diversity just like using different sources of compost .

2 Likes

I get that. I was wondering if you knew any specifics, like fungal, etc.

1 Like

Elaine Ingram has you tube videos that help a lot iv learned quite a bit just from watching some of her stuff ,diameter and color are some of the characteristics one looks for when looking under the scope and there’s special staining needed to see others species I haven’t ever got that far and don’t have the know how to look for those types

2 Likes

It’s awesome you are checking out your teas under a scope. You aren’t just guessing. I will see a scope at a yard sale one of these days, and I will snatch it up. I would love to see how active my teas have been ending up.

Thank God overgrow is back. I love this community and all I can learn. The members rock!

2 Likes

Not to burst your bubble or anything but I’m not sure what you could see through a garage find micro scope … I look at most of my stuff at about 800x power I use an Omax binocular set up you might be able to see nematodes and Protozoa with one but not much else my guess

3 Likes

OK, I will remember that. If I find a good one at a garage sale then I will buy it. I can’t remember what my old one from when I was a kid went up to, but I don’t believe it was 800 or even close.

1 Like