What's in my Soil?

Not sure of any other post here on OG but I wanted to start a thread of all things that can be found in good soil biology and/or bad soil biology also so post your pics and/or videos this could be fun and amazing at the same time! It’s a different world down there in the soil thats’ for sure!

6 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

This is a YouTube video upload of some compost tea in action!

4 Likes

YouTube video of some Protozoa tea in action ! Made but taking a few giant handfuls of freshly cut lawn and bubbled with lots of air over 2-3 days!

4 Likes

Doesn’t grass/lawn have huge amounts of nitrogen in it?? I think it would be excellent for the 1st couple of weeks of veg.

1 Like

Just to let everyone know here I’m only an a amateur at microscope work and microscopy I’v only recently picked this up and enjoy this I can literally do this hours on end! If ya have questions or comments I’ll try to answer any questions what we are looking at here it’s all about learning !

2 Likes

It does not as much as dried blood that people add in soil amendments… I use it in building compost piles as a N source to getting it cooking! I’d suggest added a small thin layer to any pot as a mulch layer that’s all the stuff can get really hot try clipping your grass and put it in a a plastic bag and check it after 18 hours or so and see what I mean!

2 Likes

What scope are you using? Great idea for a thread.

2 Likes

Have one very similar with a nice case to take care of my investment!

4 Likes

Hell we would have never known professor T. Tuttle

4 Likes

great thread just need experienced home made organic experts to share home made organic soil recipes and what dry organic adenments how much of each per cf and WHY?

4 Likes

Here ya go buddy you probably all ready found it!

This year trying rice hulls for aeration

2 Likes

I compost my grass clippings anyway. I just don’t know if I’d use it on our “special” plants. It takes a long long time to break down and I’ve noticed it turns grey and moldy if I forget to turn it on a regular basis. When you take the lid off the composer you can really notice both the smell and the heat it gives off.
I may add some to a supersoil mix on my next grow but to be honest the results I’m seeing on current grow I’m being steered towards DWC as my go to growing medium from now on.

1 Like

I would steer away from using anything fresh in a mix definitely needs composted first , any kind of putrid smells coming from a composting I’d stay away from , composting needs to be done correctly and a lot of people fail at it, it’s easy to make bad compost also! The correct ratios of browns and greens and temps no higher than 155-160 degrees and moisture and air are critical for good compost !

4 Likes

Ok so was playing around with seiving some worm compost and I had swarming amount of mites that fell through window screen mesh and I was wondering how I’d get these litter buggers on the slide and under a scope, I had an idea back when I was planting really small seeds by using the surface adhesion of water. So I took a small dab of water on the slide with no more than a 1/4 drop in a dropper . When one was clear for the taking all I had to do was pick it up with a drop of water and the rest is history!

This is at 40x magnification!

6 Likes

This one is at 100x with a little more shadowing going on with the iris diaphragm

6 Likes

What was cool with this second shot is the area towards the back of the abdomen that looks like two kidney shaped items you could see his guts pulsating probably getting ready to take a dookie :poop:

3 Likes

Was doing a spring clean up burn they other day and ran across this unique looking combo!
Looks like it’s just part of the wood chip!

It’s a mushroom on a stick! lol

5 Likes