Breeders Secrets and Tips!

Greeting
I apologize for the possibly stupid question.
Let’s say we cross two stable varieties. Pure and stable sativa and indica.
In the f1 generation there will be more or less uniform plants, with hybrid efect
If we want to stabilize and make a new variety we have to pair the same characteristics on the alleles.
But is that possible with effect? Can a hybrid high be a stable feature?
The reason I ask is that a friend bought a seed and did grow. He got uniform plants with indica characteristics in appearance (I believe they are stable in that respect), but with a quality hybrid effect.
I wonder what would happen if I took pollen and pollinated pure sativa?
In my inexperienced view, in the next generation sativa could be tamed in terms of structure, and effect could be roughly divided into two groups. Sativa and hybrid high.
Is there any logic in all this or am I too intoxicated and talking nonsense

I have alao had a really hard time keeping males in veg. They just start growing out there sacs after they have become mature for some reason. Lile they dont stop at preflower. I dont understand, so Ive just had to toss them to prevent pollen from getting everywhere.

Thank you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I dodnt read down this far before posting the above. I actually did try just cutting every ball I saw off, bit he woild always grow more. I couldnt risk him having one hiden somewhere so they had to go unfortunately. Maybe I will try as soon as I see any sacs form. Thanks for the advice.

*Edit
And that is a really cool experiment. That actually gives me a great idea. Maybe I can use that to keep things under control a bit better for a project I would like to undertake. It would definetly be interesting.

1 Like

Hmm, should be possible though. I have a male parent in veg for almost two years now. All I do is keep it under 20 hours light and bonsai prune both branches and roots once in a while.

2 Likes

Huh… Yeah I dont know. I had several differmt strains from several different breeders under the same lights. Once preflower hit they just wouldnt stop. I even tried changing them to a different tent. I ended up placing a bag over them because I was afraid they would open over night. I wanted to use them, but I wanst ready to. And I didnt know how to collect pollen saftley with females around. Well I still dont, and my space is very limited.

Maybe it had something to do with my timer or a storm we had that year. But either way they didnt revert back into a solid veg state under 24 hour lighting. Maybe they were rootbound ? Would that cause them to try and start shoting out their pollen ? Like a survival technique ?
Im glad to hear its possible thou.
He must be a very impressive male youve been keeping around for that long. Cool.

Not really, lol.

Take a look at this topic/thread, I got my knowledge there mainly. Especially the root pruning part may help you to prevent them becoming root bound:

3 Likes

Pop way more seeds than you need and select for vigor from sprout.

15 Likes

But by selecting for vigor from sprout, aren’t we selecting for heterozygosity and getting further from locking in traits we wanted?

I guess it depends at what stage a project is…?

1 Like

I didn’t say anything about you at all.

I am saying trichome and resin production is a female linked trait. Trichome production in and of itself isn’t necessarily the end all be all of anything. I think picking males with obvious female characteristics isn’t the best path. If it was, breeders using “resin males” would yield plants that are far and above everything else. But they aren’t. Is anything Bob Hemphill makes absolutely overtaking the weed world and rendering all other plants obsolete?

Males just exist to fertilize females. Strong vigorous males from excellent lines is where it’s at, IMO.

I’m big on this. Germ 25, end up flowering 5 females. That way, you at least know any plant you find after is tough, strong, vigorous. There’s no guarantee you’ll find the “right” plant of course.

Everyone thinks vigor = hemp for some reason.

7 Likes

Well I meamt genetically :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
But yeah he looks better with you then he would be looking of I tried keeping one for a few years.

1 Like

When the boys get rootbound it is usually go time. That root prune is a big factor to hold em long term.

11 Likes

If you continually pull off the male parts and hack back the male under 24/0 lighting, possibly less, he should definitely revert to veg growth after a few weeks or so. Of course there’s always outliers but in general that has worked me, rootbound or not.

5 Likes

Have we seen any plants in solo cups that are pollenated and produced viable seeds?

Serious , I haven’t paid to much mind to the pollination side of cannabis lol

1 Like

I flowered and pollinated plants in 3" pots before. They weren’t the happiest plants hah, but the seeds produced were healthy and germed vigorously.

4 Likes

I’m always very intrigued by o.g.ers plants grown in such small pots !

I struggle with root bound issues 2x in veg usually and my plants are stunted always lol

2 Likes

Yeah. First time I tried to grow in small pots with dirt was a failure. She dried so fast I couldn’t keep up…

If you look at coco guys, some of them are growing trees out of 2 gallons with no ill effects.

I think the secret is treating your peat based soil as if it was coco. Meaning, don’t let it dry out. Ever. Letting coco dry will cause nutrients to get trapped in “air pockets” creating major imbalances, and those can be hard to flush.
Daily feed using wet-moist cycles and some runoff with comparatively lower ppm should solve a lot of problems.

6 Likes

Yep, my last couple runs and current have all been in solo cups or 5 inch pots. Trick is a highly aerated media, and constant feedings. I’ve been bottom feeding actually with a flood and drain setup for the last year or so, pump runs for a minute every 2 hours. I started with 50/50 coco/perlite which works well but the coco does mess with the tds and cations in the water. So with a cycle timer, i’m trialing almost all perlite now. It seems that seeds like a little bit of coco or soil to grow into before transitioning to straight hydro roots in the perlite, so a small layer of coco in the top half of the solo does really well, and then they just explode after that.

I find if you bottom feed, they don’t really get rootbound at all. The catch is, roots are comin out the bottom of the pot no matter what you do. What you do from there is on you. In the flood table I fill it with hydroton which allows them to stretch out a ton. Technically no longer growin in a solo cup that way but… it works so good :wink:

7 Likes

LOT’S OF GOLD IN HERE! THANK’S EVERYONE. :hugs:

My 2 bits:

1. Feed Silica to your plants from the start. I have done such strange and weird shit to my plants since adding this to every feed/water as the strength in which they achieve is unreal.

2. Apply candle wax to your grow-tent’s zippers. This helps us as the “breeder” get in and out of their world with no snags an a super smooth ride :smiley:

16 Likes

Okay waking this thread up.

My tip of the day: Garden to the groove in your heart and the plants will follow.

My current groove:

7 Likes