The dumbest growing advice you've ever heard? [misinformation inside]

I love threads like these, believe it or not, they help give everyone a laugh, and provide information to those just starting out about things that are myths, wives tales, unproven claims, etc.

Basically,
We all had to start somewhere, and we all have heard these types of sayings or bad advice. Let’s get a bunch of them out there!

1. You can grow lots of weed with flood lights.

I was working with a guy when I was younger who claimed he could grow pounds from halogen flood lights. He appeared to be 1000% serious, said he had 4 500w floods and his plants were 5ft tall. I just shook my head, he was also the type to never produce proof on anything he said he ever did.

2. When you harvest, hang your plants upside down so you get more THC.

I had to LOL hard at this. At a bar with some acquaintances and this one guy was talking about growing weed, said if you hang your plants to dry it gives you more THC.

I have tons more, but I want to hear from you guys!
Jelly

17 Likes

“Trust me, [fill in the blank].”

99%

11 Likes

Ya don’t ya know that extra THC comes down from the roots and all! LOL I’v heard that one as well thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Pour boiling water on the roots to force THC up the plant…

Use Kool aid to make it have a grape flavor

Put your buds in paperbags and put them on the roof to dry…

Hydro plants are grown completely submerged in water…
Etc etc etc I’ve heard a lot of dumb shit…

13 Likes

Recently someone told me that they dunk and swish all of their buds in clean tap water right after chop before hanging to get “cleaner smoking bud” and advised me to do the same :joy:

5 Likes

It does wash off bugs lint and dust from the buds. So actually not bad advice. If you live in a real dusty area like I do. Washing the dust off is necessary. You can either hose them down before the chop or do it after a light trim.

21 Likes

For dust, bugs, and other particulate type of debris, I can see the merit of washing or a quick dunk, I couldn’t advise this in a super humid environment, but if it’s to “wash” the extra nutes or harshness from over-fertilization yeah, I’d lol too

5 Likes

Good to know! haha i had never heard of such a thing and ive seen outdoor growers chop early due to impending rainfall to reduce risks of mold while drying so it sounded crazy to me. He lives on a tropical island where i cant imagine the humidity is very low so it sounded like an EXTRA bad idea.

1 Like

Look into water curing bud, never done it myself, but it removes even more than what just on the surface.

7 Likes

One of my padawans asked me if I did the same thing on their first harvest. I laughed so hard and explained why not too. They argued with me so I said Fuck it, it’s not my bud do what you want. Needless to say they washed about an oz which turned into moldy mush. They ended up slow dried the rest with no wash.

7 Likes

It’s not necesssary to flush in hydro.

7 Likes

The dumbest advice I got given was when I was younger,he said to make your plants have more of a happy up high,people feed the plants coke.im glad I never took that advice lol.makes me wonder if that’s what he was doin or just herd it himself.

4 Likes

I never flush And people love my flowers

4 Likes

Not advice, but my granddad grows outdoor. He doesn’t care if it’s male or female. He grows it out and harvests them both.

2 Likes

Many years ago, I read that a good way to increase potency was to drive a nail through the base of the stem a few days before harvest. Supposedly this serves to drive the resin to the tips of the plant!!!
Even back then, I concluded that this was bogus…so I never tried it.

9 Likes

Just about anything the guy at the Hydro shop says…
Last week I popped in for some Ful-power and the guy in front of me was asking about Great White (mycos). He asked if you would use it for flowering. The guy said it was mainly for veg, but you can use it for flower. News flash, unless you apply it directly to the roots (transplant), the likelihood of the mycos surviving are practically nill.

Don’t get me started on high P dosing during flower…

11 Likes

This is just my opinion, based on personal observation. The last few weeks are critical to finish out your buds. In the last few weeks your plant is sending emergency signals to throw out new pistils and “reach” for the pollen to make seeds to pro-create, if you aren’t feeding during this time, you’re probably losing weight, enough that it’ll make a difference in your harvest.

The only time i’d flush in any growth system is if you’re feeding ultra high ppm. A good long cure will take care of any normal levels of harshness leftover from the grow.

In short, my opinion is flushing is for rushing.

12 Likes

Flushing is for toilets!

22 Likes

You can grow your flowers however, it’s America and what not, but I would Long flush ten percent of your harvest and ab it with the rest of your bud. You def lose some yield when you Long flush but the smoking quality is higher. Obviously this doesn’t apply to a notill system. Just my opinion feel free to ignore.

1 Like

No need to ignore it, I value the diversity of opinions here. Part of growing is making it “Yours” and if you flush and are happy with the end result, that’s all that matters!

Grow on my Brothers!

3 Likes