Breeders Secrets and Tips!

I kind of found this out by accident then I did some research and I found out it was a thing.If you take your males and out them in a colder room like around low 50s or outside as long as it’s not freezing you will kill them you can trigger the males that have more of a chance to pass on tricome production.They will produce tricomes as a form of protection from the cold as a response.I had a temp drop this year and I had a male I started earlier outside and I didn’t take him in .When I came out that night I though he had dew condensed all over him I took a look and ran my fingers up the leaf and the little bastard made trics.his progeny were quite sticky

6 Likes

Last few weeks, I’ve been listening to the Pot Cast podcast while I work. I listened to the one with AK Bean Brains yesterday. It was a good one. That guy has been in the game for a loooong time!

Also the ones with SkunkVA (LuckyDog) and @ToddMcC (Authentic Genetics) are really good ones too

6 Likes

Breeder tip. Source material.
Get your genetics from the source. Meaning get them directly from the breeder that created the line.
No one will know better than the original breeder how strain passes it genetics.
Anyone can make seeds. But constructing a genetics masterpiece is beyond most chuckers.
All strains don’t blend well together. Many strains have negative effects that only the breeder will know about.
That random chuck may look nice and smoke ok. It may even yield really nice, but it can also be a future genetic nightmare because of negative effects.

8 Likes

The only way not to break them
I do want to try those plastic lst clips

2 Likes

I really only look for quick flowering plants and structure of the plant and stem rub

Reverse a male

3 Likes

For someone just starting out, I would recommend growing lots of different gear sourced from lots of different breeders. Put the observation time in and you will start to notice the correlations between brothers and sisters structure and how that translates to finished plants.
Take some time and find the best examples of the genotypes you like, by keeping clones and running said clones through a couple flower cycles. Only pollinate the best of what you find.
I suspect that if you serve the plant properly for long enough it will start to serve you.:grin::peace_symbol:

8 Likes

LST clips are pretty epic, I love the ones I print and use on my plants. Some break if left on for super long and the stems are hulking out, but it happens.

2 Likes

In my experience, a truly resinous male produces resin at the beginning of flower, not merely at the end. I’ve seen lots of males that produce resin later in flower, but only a few that produce resin in the beginning of flower. If this is a characteristic you’re using for male selection, you want the ones that are coated in resin right off the hop.

That’s also the exact opposite of my experience, and directly contradicts what several of the breeders interviewed on The Pot Cast have said. What’s the pedigree of males you’ve seen reveg easier than their sisters? Perhaps it’s something specific to those genetics, and not necessarily a generalizable trait of males.

12 Likes

26 Likes

Who said I was selecting resin males with female traits??

There is absolutely 100% no female traits in any of resin males that I find or keep!!

They are completely stable males showing no signs of intersex what so ever…if they show even a single calyx they are binned!

Alaskagrown

3 Likes

Never run more than one breeding proyect at time, to be sure who’s daddy.
Bloom till the end the parents, at least one time, males and females, to avoid herm traits.
Keep your moms room clean and empty of pests, to avoid diseases.

10 Likes

Yes, truly resinous males do show signs early on…but I like running them until after they dump pollen…some male’s will react differently than other’s but I usually see the most action at this point…another reason I will run the males late is to check for instabilities later in flower…if they show any intersex they go to the garbage can!

Maybe I’m just really lucky with revenging late flowering male’s but…Dave from AKBB would agree with me about male’s being easier to reveg…maybe it’s technique but don’t think so! I started doing what Dave does after seeing his results…and they clearly speak for themselves in quality and offspring!

A million ways to skin a cat…this is what works for me!

Alaskagrown

7 Likes

You should listen to AKBB pod cast…he talks about selecting for fast flowering traits in cannabis…it’s usually a “hemp” trait and continuous selecting with this method can ruin a line in a few generations…

It’s very interesting!

Alaskagrown

9 Likes

Heard this mentioned several times, can someone please explain the concept?

1 Like

When you smell your fingers after a stem rub sometimes you get a smell which may indicate a desirable terpenoid or flavor

8 Likes

I chose ultimate males what i call is resinous males and terps

4 Likes

Thanks I’ll give it a listen

1 Like

Growing some males in DWC was very cool for that reason. I kept a couple males based off how strong the root balls looked.

3 Likes

I’m gonna be that guy and say that perhaps the best tip I can give is to tell you to figure out if you need to do breeding at all. For most people – myself included – the answer is no (but sometimes yes)!

Ask yourself what exactly you’re looking for that you can’t already go out and buy. If this question is easy for you to answer, then you probably do need to do breeding. An example relevant to some breeding I’m considering doing: I have an heirloom tomato called Jaune Flamme, and I want to add to it the dwarf gene. Luckily, I know that this gene is recessive, and the heirloom provides a nice, stable target. So I plan to cross it with a dwarf, F2 the hybrid, select the plant with the dwarf gene that is otherwise most similar to Jaune Flamme, and then backcross it again to Jaune Flamme. Then I’ll just repeat this process until all of my plants are dwarfs that are otherwise almost indistinguishable from Jaune Flamme.

My tip for breeding is don’t try to do too much. Pick something that is almost identical to what you want, and then try to add in a single trait.

*But most people don’t need to do breeding. In general, you can’t really do something like I described above in a single generation. Most people just want to have a stash of good seeds. My tip for that would be not to use males at all. Seriously, fuck em! Why try to make a hybrid with one eye closed? Why add the difficulty of having males in your seeds? If you don’t plan to inbreed it anyway, forget the male. Just grow stuff and take clones of it until you find something you think is good. Then grow one copy of it every grow and just reverse it. You can even stash the pollen for a few grows if you can keep it dry enough.

If you have a pair of reasonably good females, their offspring is going mostly like one of the two moms – on average at least, with some better and some worse. If you’re mixing up polyhybrids, there’s no way to really predict anything. Just cross it and find out. There’s no breeding to do, you just cross good with good and then find out if the result is also good, which it usually is.

24 Likes