Breeders Secrets and Tips!

I did a mini dwc in a solo cup for a challenge on OG, It was all good until my teenage boys found it and smoked it when I was away for a few days lol… it’s surprising how big they can get so long as they are getting all their nutes.

I do a lot of my seed making for indoor strains with very little space, in a tub like this, but bigger tub, more phenos etc. it’s possible to produce thousands of seeds in a small tub and tent like this.

15 Likes

I really have to say the smoke from these plants with the seeds to me are mid grade bud , I like making my own seeds to have and stock up on and always looking for good quality strains to trade…

5 Likes

That is where I have failed miserably and broken lot of stems lol…

1 Like

This is the best advice in the entire thread lol. How’d you figure this out? I got a brick of beeswax I need to get applyin’

6 Likes

Come on, don’t stop there…
Tell us you made bubble hash with that bastard :joy:

2 Likes

I have never made bubble hash yet.

2 Likes

For the rules benders, check out the bonsai sultan method, 1000 plants in a ridiculously small footprint :wink: for breeding and pheno hunting

5 Likes

I have seen someone do it on reddit…
He isolated one branch and flipped it while the rest of the plant was vegging…
It works…

3 Likes

…has NEVER worked for me either! :rofl:

As a born an raised :canada: with slavic blood… you DO NOT WANT YOUR SNOWSUIT STUCK WHEN ICE FISHING. :rofl:

6 Likes

Appears you and I have almost identical grow styles/breeding. I’m actually trying something different this year(going back to coco) for a few pheno hunts and a preservation project. Nothing like RDWC imo, NOTHING. Clean, powerful, super quick and easily steered. Very nice my friend :raised_hands:t2:

7 Likes

Could you keep/preserve the pollen to use after you find that trait or do they have to be re vegged? To save time am wondering.

1 Like

I agree, I’ve tried virtually every other method except aeroponics and nothing even gets close to RDWC for growth rate and yeild.

7 Likes

Noted :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yup. 100%. The only reason I’m not running my 4 site in my 4x4 this winter is because of the OmegaPot + having more than 4 plants needing the space.

5 Likes

That’s super cool; only issue here is a 1000 plants of any size would get me a stretch, still a bit backwards here unfortunately :frowning:

2 Likes

The 1000 plants may be excessive but the method is sound. 10,20, 30 would work just the same.

To me that kind of numbers are only necessary when preserving a strain and 99.8 of genes preserved isn’t good enough for you lol

30 is my go to for testing a seed batch. :wink:

5 Likes

I almost forgot!

An incredible portion of what many would consider elite today is from herm/accidental pollination.

No matter how much time we spend trying to predict what will happen if someone was to mate plant a with plant b, the only way to know for sure is to grow the progeny.

An example of this is someone or group decided to select for the ugliest, runty, trash plants and mated them together. Against all odds (lol) the runts made higher quality plants in the next gen than the control group which consisted of good looking/favorable trait plants.

So in the words of Tom Hill after a 50 pages discussion about breeding…
“Just cross the damn plants”

13 Likes

Mith you really are into this breeding stuff. Getting me more and more excited for your future projects lol.

I really love the Tom Hill self breeding method. This would definitely be my Avenue. The 5 family thing for vigor is an excellent idea. That man really knows his stuff through and through.

2 Likes

It all started 2 years ago when I received seeds from 1993 from a friend of a friend. The guy grew for decades and only kept these 2 lines so I figured they were important.

I was already a grower but knew absolutely nothing about breeding so I joined a forum and have been reading like a madman since lol

Man, Tom Hill is a walking encyclopedia haha and one of the few that still bothers to explain stuff to us. He made a comeback when the rumor he had died started circulating, and for a few months we could talk breeding with the guy.

His sometime abrasive style got him banned of course but he left a ton of infos during that short span of time :wink:

9 Likes

Like a mad man :joy:. You sound exactly like me lol.

They banned Tom? Even with his blunt attitude… like you said a true treasure to the community. I’d love to see him back…

Anyways, I’m definitely going to be reading through his posts. I’d like to get some knowledge under my belt. I really want to create something special.

3 Likes