Breeding with Simulated Solar Cycles

which one do you have your money on?

2 Likes

My guess is that all of them will to some degree, but my guess would be that the Crimea is the earliest.

1 Like

I watched my lights flip off other night. Made me think went from sun up to sun down in bat of eye. If dimmed it like sunrise and sunset and if had a source like moon cycle would it make a healthier plant? You took it a whole step further. Good read and bookmarked it even. I started with autos bc want to learn a bigger base of knowledge before getting to technical. so look forward to how this experiment goes for you and good luck!

1 Like

the moon thing is something that bothers me about hermies and light leaks. Might have to do with the wavelength. Interesting how @lefthandseeds plants did not stretch on the side that had the light at ‘sunset’ but the side farther away did stretch.

2 Likes

equatorial Satavias flower more so because of age of plants not so much light?

2 Likes

That bothered me too when I was learning about it. I haven’t tested this in any kind of scientific manner, but I’m pretty sure you could get by with a certain amount of light in your dark period if it is there constantly. I think the irregularities in the light are the cause of the stress more than it’s presence at low levels.

Also, the plants sensitivities to that I would imagine are also based on its genetics and other conditions in the room, as any other stresses it is under could make it more susceptible to intersex traits.

So if you have your environment and soil all dialed in for a certain set of plants and they are very happy, but during your dark period there are some appliances in the room giving off low level light, It should not negatively impact the plants. That has been my experience, although has been limited to just a couple runs. Mine are in a room with a water softener, iron filter, humidifier, and sump pump back up that all have some low level of light they give off from a screen of signal led.

2 Likes

Sorry, that was kind of long winded…In short, I think looking at light specifically as the cause of intersex traits is kind of foolish, and I think it is better to think of the cause as stress. Bright light at irregular intervals during the dark period would definitely stress the plant, and over time mistakes, bro science, and an abundance of caution have led to the myth that the plants need complete and total darkness during their dark period.

2 Likes

I’ve wonder this as well. My ac Infinity temp gauge has a very dim greenish glow to it when not touched(may be a way to turn off if look) but first night of having on could notice the light once my lights went out. So I covered it just to be safe . beIng early on in this adventure of mine. I think I may try to uncover it this next cycle of mine after reading this just to see once build up some steam. I figured looked at it as if plants can handle the moon and I can see them as if in moon light in box while that glow is there should be good to go.

1 Like

And then we have lightning.

OTOH we know the BD/CQ will at least begin to flower under 14 hours of light…which side did that come from?

On the subject of lcd led displays I seem to recall assertions somewhere that green light is not an issue.

1 Like