Pitch Black/dark for photoperiodic plants

Hi,as you can see or not know,I Ve only grown autos,and was thinkering if It s time for a photo type…
My room at night Is not totally black,like pitch Black,there Is the Moon that at times glows and through my big Windows reflects Itself in the room.
I was thinking of that,given my grow tent has no ducts and only use Fan inside,if It would screw a photoperiodic needs.
In nature,do they really have this pitch Black?I doubt It…

Welcome @Andrexl I have this in my library of links, it is my go to for info on what I’m about to say:
IMHO - Get a small red led light and have on in room at night, it will mitigate the other sources hopefully.
https://www.maximumyield.com/far-red-lighting-and-the-phytochromes/2/17443

2 Likes

Very interesting!

But you should try achieving blackout as much as possible
is what I gleaned from that paper

3 Likes

A little is fine. I’m lazy about making my vents light tight.

Too much is not good.

I’ve grown in light polluted places where the plants cast shadows at night. Not good.

2 Likes

Oh well,I’ll have to Stick with autos for now

Outdoor plants don’t seem to mind the moon.

1 Like

If Vegging with 30 day perpetual light…Doesn’t occur anywhere on the planet, but we all do it. Oh wait Alaskan summers, and damn they grow some kik azz. hmmmmm

1 Like

I grow photos in a tent without issue, I just keep the room itself dark during lights out and block the window with grow tent fabric from a retired tent I cut up.

1 Like

I recall hearing or reading something about having enough Far red and IR light during the day increasing resistance to light pollution at night.

2 Likes

The old rule of thumb use to be no brighter than a star lit night during your dark cycle.

1 Like

locked-sm2

3 Likes

Basically It could be done

That’s it. There must be some light level / duration at which point the plant is no longer ‘asleep’ for a sufficiently long enough period of time. I also don’t recall seeing any studies on what those levels/duration might be. I feel that this is a Pr / Pfr problem.

Anecdotally, I keep some plants in a greenhouse where they regularly get a dose of moonlight or from someone intermittently turning on the overhead lights during the lights off/dark period. I haven’t noticed any stress related problems there or the plants flipping since either the intensity is very low and/or the duration is short.

Pfr in a plant’s phytochrome system is down regulated to Pr. Light spectrum and time plays a role. The down regulation is either by time (dark hours) or by the spectral content containing far red. The ratio of Pfr / Pr has been shown to regulate the plants photoperiodism. Depending on the ratio, the plant will go either into flowering or vegetative mode. Absent far red, it is why we change the timing of the lights to encourage one or the other. For short day plants, our ratio is larger during veg.

I’d imagine that low intensity light will likewise create a lower amount of Pfr (versus high intensity). Duration of the light pollution is also likely key as the up-regulation become additive over time minus the natural rate of down regulation to Pr. Alternatively, to speed up the down regulation, a ‘flash’ of far during dark will cause quick down-regulation of any built up Pfr to Pr.

Another question that could use some answers is whether a pin-hole light leak that illuminates a couple of leaves would be sufficient to cause an overall imbalance in the Pr/Pfr ratios systemically. Or is it just more or less localized. It’s all very interesting.

1 Like

If you’re active in the room your tents in during the dark period you could use something like this Air Filter Box with High Efficacy Filter, 4-Inch - AC Infinity and an intake fan instead of passive air intake from the mesh slots. That way you can still do shit in the room without throwing them out of photoperiod.

1 Like

All nice comments here.I see no studies have bene Done.This Is interesting.Seems like we don’t scientifically know the right amount of light that trigger issues with photoperiodic plants,neitherer the precise duration.At the Moment,I have to Stick to autos,even because,during 4 hours of led light off,I put Them in the Windowsill where the sun Is very bright,so they are doing kinda 24/7 h of light some days when I can take care of them,and,they don’t hermie or have problems with that…right?

1 Like

Thanks man,Love that info,actually I am running three autos,but I Will save this One for later

Specifically regarding low PAR intensity and Pr/Pfr ratios, I don’t recall seeing something though personally I haven’t purposefully looked for it. There are plenty of papers on photoprotection et al.

Also, it may not be a straight forward since plants adapt by creating more or less photoreceptive structures depending on the environment. The results of which could affect a particular plants ‘sensitivity’.

This is an interesting question that comes-up regularly. I may spend some time looking around to see if there has been some applicable research published.

2 Likes

What about my last sentences?Do you have any knowdoledge about what I want to do with autos?
@Northern_Loki

1 Like

I’m afraid I’m entirely ignorant on autos. They don’t really fall into the short/long photoperiod basket. They act more like day neutral plants. Have no idea what Pr/Pfr ratio do in that instance.

Calling @Mr.Sparkle. He may have some additional insight.

2 Likes