Building a 12x15 shed as cheap as possible

So my step father is being a douche and won’t let me grow at his house anymore. I already found a place for my outdoor next year. The problem is I need to pheno hunt for clones. I have a place where I can build a shed and have an Indoor habitat, my problem is I don’t know what would work the best. I’m only looking to build a 12 foot by 15 foot shed that can handle 10,000 watts of light. After this endeavour I’ll build my quantum boards. Let me know what you guys think would work the best. I’m not the best with electricity so a guide on that would also be helpful.

My budget is 300-500 dollars

4 Likes

I don’t see how you can build a shed that size for that money but timber prices here are extortionate. Subbed to see what you can do with this and sorry I couldn’t be of hekp. But I really like sheds

3 Likes

http://www.searshometownstores.com/product/Arrow-SR1012-10-x-12-Barn-Roof-Storage-Shed?store=3078&preview=3078&isClearanceItem=F&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o6&utm_campaign-SC%20Shopping&scid=scplp16065505&sc_intid=16065505&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoJrfBRC0ARIsANqkS_7RinFz9JT_-1pHQaLs0phQJIoRT0Vzy7DpAhUwaUc-YQdjUNLcDx0aAkkwEALw_wcB
$399.99
10x12
Then spray insulation or foam board panel insulation. Metal building or a super good hookup on building supplies is the only way you are gonna pull off a $500 shed with that kind of footprint.

If you have 10k watts of lights your budget to house them seems awfully low.

5 Likes

Gotta agree w $500 being budget w 10k watts of lighting, power bill will be more than that, but I’ll bite. As far as a hook up w materials, unless you have a friend willing to lose money, not sure this is even possible. One thing I can add to this is when I started fishing I went down to lumber yard that also built roof trusses and was able to buy their aborted trusses. Then went home and ripped the trusses down to size to build my traps. I was fortunate enough to have access to a 30’ trailer to bring them home. That was 20 years ago and I don’t know if truss companies still sell/ give away aborted trusses anymore. Once you have the frame work you will still need insulation as well as flooring, roof and climate control. Then you have to take the electric out to power your 10k which alone will cost a couple hundred. Perhaps shut down shop and save some money. Good luck

2 Likes

:wave: hey man. my sympathies. i hope you’ll forgive him some day. :wink:

…on to the business of Overgrowing on the cheap. :clapper:

I echo their concerns because I’m living the same budget, :smile: :house_abandoned:, know construction, etc.

Since we’re doin’ it on the cheap, step one is throw your schedule/calendar out the window, and just start searching craigslist(etc.) for free, used, cheap materials in your area. You may be surprised; in my area there is a garage-door company that has a stockpile of old heavy garage-doors & sections. I thought a couple of times about grabbing mat’l but I don’t have a truck. Maybe that is step pre-1-- find a pickup truck to use, if at all possible. :bike: :laughing:

Is the chosen site already paved with concrete? gravel/dirt? Got power connection? Subpanel & big wire will cost you too(please don’t borrow without asking from a job site :wink: ).

Planning & brainstorming doesn’t cost :poop: so do as much of that as you can, IMO. :thumbsup:

Stu’s suggestion is a great one but I’m afraid that insulation will probably be another couple hundred…(?) The little cans & radiant barrier foam from the big orange box-store are relatively expensive for that much surface. (Watched an R60+ roof put together on :tv: TV yesterday :hammer: :smile:).

If you have free time & labor, consider an underground or even 1/2 underground- 1/2 above; The insulation value of that is fairly unbeatable but you are looking at work, adobe, & a budget still…

I’ll back up a bit & ask what the family member’s primary needs are; is it odor? or morality? :unamused: If they object to the activity seriously then maybe that’s a bigger issue. If it’s simply odor or space nuisances, that’s much easier to address…as in, making the place invisible AND perfect is not cheap.

Damn early here. :smoking: :coffee: :night_with_stars:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Where abouts do you live? There’s snow where I’m at already. If you’re in the same climate, it’s very unfeasible. If you’re in sub zero area you’ll need gas heat. There’s no way you’ll heat it with electric and run a grow without breaking the bank and raising red flags. Regardless if you live in a sub zero climate. You’ll still need to run 220v volt to this shed. It’ll need to be extremely well insulated. I’d suggest getting the ghost buster pack of spray foam n go to town. If you don’t know how to do all this yourself you’re looking at easy 12 gs.
Edit: I take that back if you knew how to do all this yourself you might get it done for 12. That’s only if you took the extra time to find used heater n electric box etc. Built the lights yourself and everything else on this huge list. If you’re getting all new n paying sum1 be over 20.

4 Likes

You may need to insulate this shed and, of course, electric service for lighting and ventilation (possible heat/ac).

Not sure where you are, but here in the north east, that $60 per square foot and up, before you get to heat and ac.

4 Likes

I was thinking 10
@99PerCent’s psf comes out to 11

I think to do it right is gonna cost some. To do it wrong is gonna cost even more

4 Likes

It can be done if you are thrifty AF.

10k in lighting? But only a 3-500$ budget? Your proportions seem a little off there lol.

Things you can scrounge:
Speak with local construction companies and see if they will allow you to clean up their construction sites, keeping scrap material/miscuts/etc. Don’t mess around and take anything that isn’t clearly scrap, this can be a gold mine for later “doorways” into bigger and better opportunities.

If you are rural, anyone who has shut down chicken/turkey/egg houses and is tearing them down will have an ample supply of metal, foam/fiberglass insulation and maybe even wiring to scrounge.

Also, Keep your eyes peeled on facebook marketplace for sheds, I see them pop up all the time.

Best of luck, it will be a lot more work but it CAN be done.

Jelly

5 Likes

60$ isn’t even per foot of doing a finished a grow room in a basement with 220 already. Also 60 per foot is feasible for a garage house etc. You’re doing this on smaller scale isn’t going to lower the price. Exp bc I hear shed I think of pre built there’s 1800$ or more. I’m just stressing how bad idea this is. I tried to talk a guy outa this n didn’t listen. He never got a full grow out of it.

6 Likes

All I can tell you, is it cost me to build this shed about $60 per square foot, and I built it my self.

9 Likes

It’s actually only going to be 2k-2.5 k light setup 2k USDtotal budget using money from student loans to get my setup started. Looking to spend 500 on a shed and 1500 on lights. Using quantum boards, led strip’s or cobs. Hope this helps clarify what I need.

3 Likes

You are quite the craftsman, 99. Very nice.

3 Likes

Have you considered the :sun_with_face:?

A clear roof(not sure how much snowfall in your spot)?

A lot of the :unamused: grow houses around here seem to have a plethora of solar light bubbles on their roofs. You could save a shitload of money & have better quality light. (using sun when it’s there + HID)

Is the harvest target personal use, say under 5lb/yr.? or “personal use” lots of lb./yr? :wink: Notice the efficiency #s of @Mr.Sparkle. Pulled 1/2 a p for like 10$ in 4 months. :trophy:

Consider starting small & temporary & upgrading later… i.e. start with a lighting you can upgrade, and a temporary “room” you can just knock down & replace after that first “herbal scholarship”. :moneybag: :atm:

it’s old & cliche’ but tried & true: :cookie: “don’t bite off more than you can chew”

:evergreen_tree: :doughnut:

3 Likes

That ended up costing about the same :smile:

When finished

4 Likes

Looks killer my man!

1 Like

Love it! Would you consider renting it to an old hippie. Looks like a great tiny house. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like