Moving Soon, thoughts on growing alternatives

Ok so in a few weeks we’re moving out of the house we are in by about 2 hours south. This is also the house I grow in. Ive got a few options on how to proceed with my grow, looking for feedback.

Option 1
Seal this basement to perfection so the landlord (who knows what’s happening here and is on board) can rent the upstairs out (these are all haitian immigrants so no concern in terms of them asking questions or being nosy as most are freah off the boat and with grey area legal status) and just check in on the room every other day. Probably my least favorite option but it’s also the one I may get stuck with.

Option 2
Me and the landlord I’m living under now, try to get the landlord of the place in moving in to sell the home instead of rent. He’s an older guy, the house is cheap and needs some work, and money talks so combined we could likely convince him to sell.

However problem is, this house has no basement, no attic, no spare bedrooms.
So I’ve got two ways to go with this.

Option 2
Build a weather proof greenhouse and put it on the property. Nearest neighbor is about .3 mile away. Im in the midwest tho so we do have real winters here.

Option 3
Build a sealed shed/shelter and use it. This is what I’m really considering because I can get quite fancy with a good insulated building.

Option 4
Haven’t came up with one but open to suggestions.

Edit: I’m dialed in on a 35day or so perpetual harvest. Running 12-15 plants per room with 3 rooms running at all times. There isn’t really a good time for me to just decide to shut down and wait to grow elsewhere, I’ve really got to keep this running.

8 Likes

maybe a shipping container or an old retired u-haul truck could work? (mobile) underground is best.

definitely not option 1; that’s terrifying.

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

I’d say the shed is your best option there. Like you said insulate the hell out of it. If you keep a veg area going 24/7 it will provide some heat but you’ll probably need a supplemental space heater or something as well. Check into local codes, usually there’s a maximum size you can build without getting any permits.

Also you’ll probably need an air-conditioner in the summer, a window unit should do a small space like that so keep that in mind when you’re designing it.

3 Likes

12-15 plants every 35 days is a nice mortgage payment.

Buy the house build the shed!

Stay safe!

8 Likes

I don’t know how your growing, but if it’s hydro check this out. https://www.groshed.org/

They are from northern Minnesota. Could give you a few ideas anyway.

2 Likes

good luck! those sheds look spendy, enough money and problem solved.

2 Likes

I agree Option 1 is too risky. I like the shed option, lots of people grow in sheds.

5 Likes

The first option #2 would be a good option, but you’ll still need option #3 to keep things going for your perpetual grow.

The second option #2 would need to be a 5mm Solexx greenhouse or equivalent to hold up during a cold winter. Good friends of mine used Solexx when they lived in Alaska and always enjoyed a good harvest.

I grew cannabis in a shed for decades, and I plan on building one to grow in where I’m at now.
If there’s a will, there’s a way!

I just moved 1700 miles east of California and had to gift my plants to my friends just as they started to flower. I hope they enjoy growing them as much as I did and wish them all a bountiful harvest!

2 Likes

So now you’re a lobbyist in DC working for the plant, right? :world_map:

:joy:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

No sir, I’m in Illinois… and it’s much worse than that!

Did you know that the University of Illinois classifies Hemp (Cannabis sativa) as a poisonous plant… can you believe it?!

That’s a pretty good “scare tactic” to use to keep a good number of people from supporting anything that has to do with cannabis.

Seems a little self-defeating in a pro cannabis state.

2 Likes

What about going underground some in the shed? Say I have a 12x12 shed, what would stop me from digging 6-8 foot down into the earth in a 6x6 area under that shed to open up my room some? Essentially, getting rid of what would of been an area filled with plants and opening it up for larger flower/movement space

2 Likes

Here’s a good example of just that!

3 Likes

Nice. But wtf is up with all the dead hares?

1 Like

I’m guessing they found there way down and then couldn’t get out and perished.

Lol, looks like a shipping container buried in the yard. No lid on the opening, critters fell in and died…