Building My New Soil

Hello organics friends; now that I have my first grow under my belt, I’m looking to start building my own soil.

I have EWC, coco coir, and pearlite. The garden center I suspect HAD all the amendments I was looking for, just out back in a shed. My agoraphobia has been harsh lately and I didn’t feel like fighting with the lady over it. I figure I can purchase amendments online just fine. I would want to purchase from one vendor as well, considering Build a Soil. Open to suggestions.

I will be using a system where I veg in 3 gal pots, and transplant into 10 gal as they get closer to flower. In a small 3 gal size, do i need to give it any special considerations?

Anyone have tips on keeping 10 gal living soil pots? I plan to upgrade to 20 but space is tight right now.

8 Likes

You sound like a good candidate for a SIPS…sub irrigated plant system…you can reuse it over and over…read up on them.
I have my own mix that I keep using over and over…ammend it, cook it, use it again.
In the past I have used mushroom compost, earth worm castings, fox farms ocean forest, fox farms happy frog using beneficial teas in flower with good success…that was when I was a starter in organics after using a modified Lucas formula for years.

The mushroom compost is the “shit” and comes from an organic mushroom and vegetable farm down the road from me.
It is my base soil, I use crab shells from all the crabs we catch and eat all year…dried, crushed and mixed…earth worm castings…composted horse and cow manure…which must get super heated to burn off parasites and bugs…biochar innoculated with em1…I also use bokashi as I add alot of stuff throughout the year…fish carcasses, organic waste composted over the winter…grass clippings, leaves, small sticks, manure…etc.
I am selective about what parts of the soils to bring in for indoor as I don’t want anything that is not “soil” yet, as it will smell bad.
So I select it from the pile and cook it for a month by wetting and covering the soil in a 100 gallon water trough…cover with tarp and plywood.

5 Likes

I was getting mushroom compost pushed on me while I was at the garden center, hadn’t read up on it too much. I live in suburbia, and don’t leave much, so I don’t get many free inputs, sadly. Trying to stick to ground in a bag, then playing with some local inputs.

1 Like

And anyone use the “Down to Earth” brand on Amazon? They seem to have a good selection and pricing.

I’m having trouble sourcing amendments locally, I can get kelp meal but that’s about it. Will have to try another garden center.

3 Likes

Do you have a Southern States or some sort of AG store near you…you know…a farm store where you buy feeds n seeds?

1 Like

I’m just getting into organic soil building as well, well sort of… I actually am mixing brands, not too much behind my reasoning tho. I have heard good things about dr earth being great for the money…

I went with some light buildasoil mix and have gotten quite a few things besides that like some of their powdered thermX (they have a new saponin extract tho that might be better), horticultural aloe, their inoculated biochar, some alfalfa meal, and some of their inoculated wood chips for mulch… most go with their inoculated straw tho being used with cover so it can grow thro it… I am considering possibly getting some cover crop for any mothers I might have but I am gonna try my own sort of weird micro grows, also doing some SIPs thro capillary mats using the Blumat surface mounts…
Besides that stuff, I got a ton of things from this company nearish me in SoCal called Organics Alive, like their premium mix, and most of their npk and their humic/fermented stuff… that place was recommended to me by Tyler at Grassroots fabric bags… Todd at OA spent about 45min with me on the phone going over the build with me and that level of customer service had me sold… Tyler(who also gave me a lot of his time) had also pointed me to Growru(basically his master) who may be one of the smartest guys in the industry apparently. This guy also sells soil which I will prob try one day and may even take him up on his consulting services…
Also I might be looking into making LABs and possibly growing comfrey…
Just some random tid bits of readings I’ve picked up randomly over the last year or so.

2 Likes

I’ve used down to earth and dr earth. I think the dr earth was from Home Depot. Any tomato amendment from the big box store will do, even Walmart has some come spring time.

2 Likes

I defiantly want to look into SIPS a bit more- I don’t want to get into it with this tent, I plan to replace it within the year for some more space. Then I totally plan on some beds.

@GnomeyByNature How exactly did you set up your system? I love the idea of using the Blumats, they have been a godsend keeping my fabric pots from drying out.

@Catchin1 Much more feed than seed. I’ll have to venture out of town to find real AG supply, not sure if they’ll have what I want or not. It’s out by all the farms so I assume they carry all the supplies, but the other “feed stores” in town are just that. Dog food, cat food, lots of other animal feed. No gardening lol. Crazy.

I may just go with a blend for starters, then add as I need it. Mostly worried about stabilizing the PH.

1 Like

With living or organic soil you dont need to ph your water unless you’re using a very small pot or your water is reeally bad.

3 Likes

Right- but there are specific minerals that do the ph regulation, right? Sourcing them is proving harder than the fertilizers.

I do have another place to try today, failing that I’ll just bite the bullet and buy online.

1 Like

I’m am using Buidasoil.com ,
Started with the sphagnum Kit ,With excellent results.
Also have A Coir kit in the works.
The guys over there are great, Customer service A++.

P.S. Collecting local sources and implementing some Natural Farming techniques to further build the soil.

Grace and Peace

3 Likes

So I been trying to see if I should ph my water in my organic grow… I’m run my autos in a 3 gal fabric pot happy frog as my medium using RO water… leaves are green but growth seems to be slow… I think first time with autos

I dont have any experience with autos but RO water is your safest bet when watering. Check out Reiko’s thread: ReikoX's Workshop 2021 - #164 by Beerus (grow stuff is the latest updates) He does autos and waters with RO

1 Like

I have all the parts but have yet to set it up… depending on your size, they(sustainable Village) have premade kits available, else you have to do a custom order like I did where you order the capillary mats, perforated plastic, blue soak tape, fittings, tubing, pressure reducer, blumat surface mount etc

FYI, apparently you should try to stay under 5” of soil height in container. It is recommended for small containers I believe, 2 gallons and under.

I’m doing a lil bit of a weird/experimental setup(also cause small pot with somewhat living soil, which is sort of a no no) where I am taking a 5 gallon fabric pot (wrapped in plastic, cause Grassroots were out of stock), filling halfway or less (5” or less even to leave amending room later) so I can stay within that height limit but still have some decent amount of soil with it being wider… these will actually be for the mothers and I’ll be doing the same with 1 gal pots for seedlings and cuttings going to flower after rooting (sog style a bit).

I need to copy/paste that for when I get a grow journal goin :joy:

2 Likes

Interesting on the soil height. I hadn’t heard that, makes sense though. I don’t plan on anything under 3 gal myself, even then flowering in 10 gal. You’re more optimistic than me!

I am finishing up a grow in 3 gal right now and they’re on the smaller side for my taste. I like to give them 4sqft per plant though, far from sog lol. Will be interesting to see your results.

1 Like

Oh yeah his page is my go to for any and everything

I expect to fail a decent amount or completely lol

2 Likes

Some Ace hardwares or Tractor Supply have good stuff,

1 Like

Down to earth is a repackager. They don’t actually produce anything. I’ve used their products, and while there may be better, the DTE works just fine.

As far as mushroom compost, I’d be careful with it.

Mushroom Compost

Quote:
First, Mushroom Compost is not real compost. The real name of this product is Spent Mushroom Substrate (SMS). It is called “Mushroom Compost” as a marketing ploy to help dispose of it.

SMS is made from a combination of wheat straw, dried blood, gypsum, lime or crushed limestone, poultry litter, cow or horse manure & bedding, hay, corn cobs, cottonseed hulls, cocoa bean hulls, clay, peat moss, etc. depending on what is available in a given area. The material is partially composted for a few weeks and then steam pasteurized (sterilized) which kills off all of the beneficial microbes. Then the material is then inoculated with the species of mushroom (fungus) that the grower wishes to produce. Additionally, the material is often loaded with table salt (Sodium Chloride, NaCl) to ensure only the desired species of mushroom will live and grow in the substrate.

Several crops of mushrooms are raised and harvested on this substrate until yields start to decline as the original nutrients are used up. When the nutrient level drops to low to raise mushrooms, it is at this time the substrate is replaced by fresh substrate. The old used substrate must be then disposed of. Worldwide this is over 4 million tons per year.

Common Problems:

Studies have shown decreased plant growth and yield at levels as low as 5% SMS in a mix due to high soluble salts. Other studies have shown it may have a high pH level which is harmful to plants that like acidic conditions.

Even the low quality bagged manure often sold in Big Box stores often has 3X the amount of nutrients.

Mushroom growers have major problems with fungus gnats hence they regularly spray with toxic chemicals such as methoprene, cyromazine, diflunezuron, Dimlin, and Diazinon. Other toxic chemicals occasionally used are benmyl, thiabendazole, and chlorothalonill. Hence SMS does not meet the standards for use in organic production.

The SMS is often stored in large piles that become anaerobic. This allows pathogens to growinthematerial. Theputrefyingorganicmattercrea tesorganicacidsthatoftenhavea strong odor. Common odors are vinegar, sour milk, vomit, rotting meat smell and occasionally ammonia or rotten eggs. All these odors indicate that alcohol is present which is toxic to plant roots in concentrations as low as 1 ppm.

Benefits:

SMS is organic matter and still contains some nutrients. Since most of our area soils are very low in organic matter it may provide some benefit. Best results occur in sandy soils in areas with lots of rainfall so the water can wash out and leach the salts. Note: In clay soils the salts help glue the particles together helping to create hardpan.

Comment:

The quality and usage of SMS varies greatly around the world, from good and useful to very bad and toxic based on regional customs and local regulations.

5 Likes

Dammmm … thats crazy info man. I think ill be sticking with Regular Compost then.

5 Likes