Chez Calix - Journey of a Junior grower

Excited to see how my plants do in my soil .

I checked on my sour Jacks in the garage tent after they’re heavy defoliation yesterday , they are looking the happiest they’ve ever looked, the leafs are all turnt up and a happy shade of green.

Super happy, they are finally getting some light penetration and there is close to 7-9 main branches on each! Will update tomorrow, hopefully they will be ready for they’re nutrients.

1 Like

And here are my transformers sourjacks and birthday cake

They are loving life since the hair cut.

waiting for some nutrients.

The BC got some and a top up of soil.

SOil top up

And the sour Jacks …they seem to be drinking fairly slow. I’m hoping that changes in the next day or so as they’re begging for nutrients.

6 Likes

Hope no one minds the @

@LilJonB (whats up mhm buddy hope all is well. Haven’t forgot about you rom your encouragement and good generosity of your time on my first grow)

@ReikoX
@anon20530495

as anyone experience they’re plants not taking to new soil?
This is since my previous transplant , before I mixed my own soil.

It’s like the plants still have there previous 1.6gap pot shape, and the new soil is just surrounding it , and the roots haven’t grabbed onto it…

Is it possible because it isn’t wet enough, or had enough nutrients to leach onto?

I just compacted the outer soil a bit more to sort of force it onto the original pots soil…
It’s also like the outside soil is drying l but the interior is soaked still

1 Like

No worries on the tag. I was going to reply to this earlier and got distracted with something unimportant (aka work).

I’ve had the transplant issue you’re describing long ago. In my case, it was because the plant I was transplanting was badly rootbound. The rootball couldn’t free itself so it never changed form from the previous pot. Unsure if this applies to your case, but when you up-pot, you’ll want to gently tease the roots a little to free them before placing in the new container. Bottom roots are most important imo, but I also very delicately loosen the lower 1/3 of the roots wrapped around the side also. Think this may be it?

1 Like

Yea dude… That’s it 1000% lol… FFS!!

The plants recovered just very slowly.makes so much sense…

I wonder if I can get dirty and try and do that.
Thanks so much man . The good karma circle will return to you I promise

Another question.
When transplanting into soil do you leave a fair bit of soil on the bottom when you drop plant in. Or place it right to the bottom? I’d imagine a " or two would be good?

1 Like

Haha happy I could give you some helpful advice. Don’t sweat this stuff either. It’s not the end of the world. Besides, we learn as we go. Experience is the best teacher. Remember😃?

I follow a very similar process to this gentleman. I’ll tell you a mistake that I made this time around with my first time using fabric pots—it helps to pack the soil tightly around the edges as they tend to cave in over time. Otherwise, most of what he describes works very well. I just water a little differently.

1 Like

I did landscaping for many years and when we had a badly root bound plant we just stabbed the root ball with a shovel a few times before planting :wink:

3 Likes

I will read this over now.

Mistakes are being made by the dozen!! But it helps me learn
This explains so much though. Im goin to try and untangle the roots on one and see how it goes.

I’m thinking it might be messy transplanting from fabric pots because the sides are soft. I’ll have to break out a tarp for this , or cut open a contractor bag.

I did notice that the sides drop in with fabric pots more, cheers man, have a great evening

1 Like

I had seen the suggestion before to cut up the root bound roots before transplanting. But I didn’t consider it lol

It will definitly go into my bag of tricks from now on!! I abuse them bad enough above ground, what more can it do under lol

1 Like

Put it on top of a paint can, or something with a radius that’s smaller than the fabric pot. This will help you to roll the fabric down. It’s still not as simple as plastic pots, but it helps.

1 Like

Let’s get it!!!

5 Likes

This one doesn’t look to bad. Looks like it’s recoverd. I could see roots all at the bottom Throwing roots consistent
I’m.gonna leave it alone . I just got to to the bottom and Jammed the scissors up there and snipped away a bunch of times
I may have to do it on my seedlings
20210826_183043_HDR

4 Likes

@anon20530495
Hey bro
;
URgent…???
So all my plants except 2 had the original pot soil problem with the roots bound…

I think I probably killed them all… I didn’t take them out of the pots this time… My seedlings have been doing shit since about. 3rd week.

Anyway .I was able.to stick my fingers down around the entire circumference and I was rooting around couldn’t feel roots and I was able to go around three of the plants with my fingers all the way to the bottom and there was absolutely no roots… So I started reaching in words from the outside and pulling outwards hopefully breaking up the bound up roofs.

I feel like they’re all going to die since I just attacked all of the roots…are they going to die ?? I’ve never messed with the roots before on such an intense level
Good I may just drop everything and run another set of seal I can’t deal with another delay. They were growing fine I should have just left them alone they just realized in the excess soil…
¢°÷€×¢×××¢¥×

1 Like

Even if rootbound and not growing out into the new soil, they’ll still grow and produce flower. Probably not the best thing to have messed with them at this stage, but they may just be shocked and not dead. Are they badly wilted and yellowing, or what makes you think they’re on the way out?

1 Like

No … They were fine… I am Worried they may die after what I did…

They looked fine…
I shouldnt have messed with them the way I did lol I did it In too aggressive of a way . I should have been more delicate lol

You may be surprised man. Give them some time and don’t stress yourself in the interim. I’ve seen plants come back from some brutal shit.

1 Like

You can (and I do ) root prune all my plants before transplanting

The plant will survive they are toughas F and hard to kill
Although I’ve killed my fair share over the years

Paps

1 Like

A couple of the seedlings you’re showing some pale leaves . They were growing amazingly for the first 3 weeks but for this past week they sort of been stunted and I noticed some browniings in the centre of the leaves I’m a leave looking dry. I tested the pH run off and it was really high so I flushed them and then give them nutrients… And then I transplanted them so maybe it’s been a bit of shock along with the flushing… And last night I did a bit of route pruning as Papa would call it.
My other ones that are waiting to go in the bloom are the ones that I was able to stick my fingers in the circumference I’m not feeling any route so I started going in words and yanking the root out lol…pray for me. I also gave them their much-needed nutrient feed they were waiting all week for it and then I go and do this s*** pray for me

1 Like

Oh no… The seedlings don’t loook good… I really don’t know what happens. I don’t know how the run off ph got to 10.4 a few days ago …

They are all dying it looks like …oh well…
Practice makes perfect
I’m so sad now …was really rooting for them.

They were so healthy not even a week ago…lush green . Huge fan leaves bigger than the pots…no sign of Illness…:frowning:
Now leafs curled inwards from the side and yellowing…I switched lights.?? …

I am going to assume they are dead…
Dropping 2 blue berry from 00 seeds and 2 of my last L.A. CONFIDENTIAL

I dnt even want to share theyre pictures…they were so healthy…

2 Likes