Chez Calix - Journey of a Junior grower

@Foreigner
@ReikoX

@anon20530495

Rather than make a new thread, I’ll ask you fellas.

I mixed up my nutes. and then was checking the ph. As usual it drops to around 5.7

I’m thinking . My next nutrient feed is after a water feed…I had the time to Mix it early. I usually mix 20L in my reservoir.

I find sometimes if it’s left there for a few days …the PH rises.

Well I was thinking. Should.i just wait till feed day to UP ph. Or adjust it now …

I’m thinking just leave it bubbling til feed day and adjust then. because if I adjust it now. It could change and I’d have to add more PH UP /down salts.

Should I get out of habit of pre-mixing it? I find it’s easier to have that weeks nutes mixed as I won’t necessarily have the time to make a batch on a random day.

4 Likes

I use tap water and fill a 5 gallon bucket and let it sit for a few days. I find the pH rises too. I use a 1 gallon pail to mix nutes/feed with.

It starts at 7 and gets to 7.5

Rather than chase pH around you might try letting your water sit until it’s stable.

But there are lots of ways to do it

3 Likes

I do like to let it sit with a pump& stone.

over the winter Out of the Tap i was getting 7.3 - 7.4

It seems now in the summer I’m getting under 7.

Which is good.

I’ve recently been watering with unfiltered water , not checking the ph, just straight from the tap sitting in the reservoir.

My friend said he’s never checked ph or adjusted the ph and he grows nice healthy plants lol and has been growing 10+ years lol!

Another friend also said he only adjusts his PH on his nutrient mix . But pump&stone in his reservoirs always . Hes the one who insisted that’s it had To be done,we have great water in our area.

Like you said, chasing the Ph around,. My friend mentioned that too much up/down is going to leave a lot of salts in your water and it’s not good for the plants.

I think I will leave the reservoir alone until feed time and then check ph adjust as needed.

It sounds like you have good options/plans. You just need one that works for you.

I’ll add that I rarely check my pH these days. My water is 7.5 my nutes bring it down a bit and my medium is acidic so it all works out.

I do baseline tests but day to day I don’t sweat it. :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve been checking ph daily but from what im seeing i really dont need to be :rofl:

My ph only moves 0.1-2

2 Likes

I started with strips, then a dinky digital yellow amazon ph pen that I dropped in the reservoir one day and uncalibrated / fried it.

I was using it still for a month+ lol just using my tap water as a guide, knowing that it was usually 7.4 and after the dunk, it was 8.4 lol so I assumed It went up a 1.0 lol and gauged from there.

Then my friend gave me a extra quality ph pen that I’ve been using since.

I always freak out when I forget to ph my nutrient feed. I thought Id killed all my plants the first time and flushed them all LOL

Googling what happens if you give too Low p.h to plants didn’t help much! “Plants May die” , that was a stressful night when I realized I forgot To ph

I’m cautious feeding nutrients now , don’t think I do full strength ever. But I also don’t always remember to test ph first, and they’re still alive! For now!

Well - since I moved 21 gallons of wet soil out of the tent. My RH is perfect!!

Woop woop!
Can anyone see differences in those two seedlings ?

They were packaged as one L.A. confidental and the other Blue.Monster

To me they look identical and have grown very similar…

Would it be the same environmental factors?

4 Likes

I popped 8 of the same beans and all of veg they where almost identical. Diddnt start seeing any difference in the plants until flower.

1 Like

Thanks! I will check the lineage on them.

I do have to say. Sometimes I see plant on here , and I would never be able to identify them as cannabis plants. Complelty difference leaf structure.

That’s what I Love about cannabis the most, the variety! It’s absolutely amazing how UNIQUE this flower can be.

1 Like

Oh wow, these two have some interesting lineage.

Blue monster hasn some g13 & blueberry (my favourite) and a Mexican landrace strain 8-9 weeks flower time.

L.a. Confidential being a pure indica and having O.G. L.a. AFFIE AND A pure afghani landrace indica. 6-8 weeks flower time! That’s what’s I’m talking about !!!

Interesting.

Might have to pop some more L.A. Confidential , or at least find a mother. That’s a flowering schedule I can get behind.

1 Like

That L.A. Confidential sounds like my kinda smoke! I might have to try and get my hands on some.

1 Like

I was a bit thrown off when I first read about it, some people attributing a psychedelic high to lt. Not for me, but I think that’s just due to the potency of it. Highs of 26% thc. And higher CBD also.

Super pumped now, I’ve been pretty down about this whole 10-12 week sour jack flowering time . Especially where I almost killed them and added 1+week .

It’s Time to just flip the switch and start the show. Unfortunately I won’t get to use my new light on the l.a. Unless I swap the s.j. Set up.

Not sure if I should grow it out first and see how I like It.

I’ll definitely be taking some clones regardless l after I see how it responds to My veg abuse lol.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention…

I watered my three early veg plants , with 6.4 ph water. Tested beforehand.

Then I collected the run off from all three in a cup , and the pen read 10.4 as the PH…

What does this mean???

Flush your plants with 2 x the volume of water to soil

Clean out salt build up
Check ph every time you water

Keep ph between 5.8 to 6.2

1 Like

Thanks

Do. you mean check runoff every time - or just my water.

6.0-.2 is a bit lower than I’ve been using. Different for the youngsters??

I’m not sure which plant gave me the high pH. I’ll flush one at a time today.

I have alot of gardening to do today.

I def want to give the babies best love because they are my first seedlings

Just your water should be fine after flush

1 Like

Someone please tell me to STOP

lol

Defoliation jail here.

I am not to particular on what happens on this grow.

I am going to finish 7th week of veg with one more feed of nutes later this week then flipping… Half mind to flip sooner

Its a very LarFy looking cultivar

I am half way through defoliating #2 of 3
I am going to do one extreme.almost schwaZZ…and one most leafs + lower growth…and maybe. The third ill just so the over shadowing leafs.
Bahhhhj lol who a. I kidding …they will all be skinned Alive

Will update with final cut

4 Likes

Okay
Went through with it!
@Purple-N-Hairy LOL

SO this is what I got going on…almost 7th week of veg… Had a full 10 days of root bound dead Nd yellow plants that recoverd…

They’ll probably take a week to recover from this… Hopefully the branches thicken up.
I can finally see the plant
I just want to throw it into flower …I really don’t know what to expect…

They look a little under watered right now… I’m pretty sure I just fixed that. And this photo makes them look a little.more pale than they actually are.

Did I mess up…??

Will be interesting to see how much more they will grow in veg. Now or how stunted they become…I really don’t want to miss this round of nutes as I mixed it up one more week won’t kill me

Dammit!! I did the whole bottom 2/3 again FFS??? I think i just eliminated half of my harvest removing all those lower intermediary branches…it was so hard to see anything ! And i figured it was a waste of time cutting leafs away on lower and smaller branches, I just cut them out…not sure how this one flowers…will know for next time…got some cuts so will try and keep this cultivar alive incase I like it

KkqmRMRUM2s8X5bfC3paA72sYT.jpeg)

4 Likes

Also, another issue i Have meant to ask about.

Since I transplanted. It doesn’t seem like the roots have taken to the new soil…the new soil is all still very loose and can seperate Fromm the plants original soil at the centre. I checked to see if roots were reaching to the outer soil, and they are but barely.

Will have to revisit this in a week.

I think I butchered these plants .

I just revised the mistake I made on my last grow, and then I chopped off everything when I got in the Zone . I did a bit more than defoliate…
.I De-limbed…
next time I won’t cut off all the branches .

Everything just looked so Larfy and I couldnt picture buds growing on the little branches. .learn from mistakes. 2 times is enough though.