Can pollen travel into nearby tents?

112% yes.

:worried:

1 Like

I imagine there must be things you can do to reduce the possibility :thinking:

I wonder about cutting up one of those air conditioner filters that has a high enough merv rating to filter pollen, and covering all the outlets of the tent where you have a male.

I wouldn’t consider it 100% effective, but I would figure if all you were trying to do is prevent some pollination in another tent on another floor you could probably reduce the chances significantly.

I wouldn’t trust it in my case since my tents are right next to each other, and I’d be trying to make a cross, but in your case I think there is probably stuff you can do.

The other guys in this thread probably have a lot more knowledge than me on this though obviously :grimacing:

There is no rule stating you can’t do one strain at a time or at least one strain for pollen. It’s the only way to be sure of no cross contamination. Otherwise you will not be able to say with certainly that a cross is what you think it is IMO.

6 Likes

Unless you build some sort of scrubber in the exhaust of the Pollen Tent and run the exhaust 24/7 outside.
I run 3 cells, Veg, Flower and Breeding Cells. I don’t run my breeding cell in the end of summer to fall because in Canada all the outside pollen is released.

1 Like

After what you guys all said, for my situation I’ll definitely have to stick to one at a time. Otherwise like you said, I wont know who pollinated what.

But for @VAhomegrown 's situation where he has a male on another floor, and wants to keep his females on another floor from getting pollinated at all, I wonder if there is stuff he can do to reduce the chance?

He may still end up with some seeds in the buds, but maybe he could reduce the number of seeds with some filtering or something like that?

Vent outside.

One male only is a good policy.

I do it a bit differently and sometimes break that policy.

Basically I eliminate airflow to prevent pollen transfer but it wouldn’t work for all applications.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

Soo if somebody put one outside in a windy area, theoretically you could ruin everybody’s weed in the area accidentally? Weed is crazy I love it

3 Likes

YUP! and its happened many times. Sometimes from ditchweed too I’m sure…

1 Like

When GOD designed Cannabis Pollen he really made it good.

3 Likes

How long is pollen viable once it is released from the plant?

1 Like

I’ve read 6 months. But I vacuum it into my wet vac when cleaning my mini breeding cell after each breed. I then dump the wet soup on the furthest spot on the lawn. It has not come back to bite me yet after about 10 breeds and doing it this way. I wonder what you can spray a tent with after a breed to KILL the pollen?

1 Like

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/18/world/signs-in-wind-of-morocco-drug-crop.html

Water! Your way between runs is good.
:green_heart::seedling:

3 Likes

Could putting hvac hepa filters over the passive intakes to seal it and making sure it’s watered before pollinating the other(also sealed with hepa filters and watered), then doing a thorough clean with a box fan filter running to pull any out the air immediately after application (with all fans off during application) work?

The watered suggestion is so you don’t have to open either up until everything’s settled.

2 Likes

I once visited a manufacturing facility where they had just upgraded the paint booth to a walk-in zen waterfall. The walls would constantly flow with recycled water to somehow catch all of the airborn particles as they arise.

To date the coolest and cleanest paint booth I’ve ever seen, and even remained clean year after year on subsequent visits. No clouds of noxious fumes for a 150 foot radius around the paint booth, not even droplets on the floor outside of the booth.

Do waterfalls have magical attraction, does the falling water geterate some sort of air current? I don’t know all the principles behind it but I wonder if such an idea could be employed for pollen.

Could existing hydroponics equipment be MacGuyvered for a similar effect on a smaller scale?

7 Likes

I think there could be some sort of electrical attraction (on the cellular level, like positive and negative ions)… (stoner brain trying to recall old school stuff, heh).

2 Likes

I am curious of what they did with the water? Full of paint chemicals?
I have never seen a paint booth like that.

1 Like

It looked something like this, only a bit bigger:

But not this big:

Man that is a big spray room!

The water was recycled, until what point I don’t know, but a closed loop system.

Ionization? Static electricity? Not sure if it was some sort of electical force or a mechanical one. All valid guesses but no clue :laughing:

A quick google image search for “paint booth waterfall” shows that there are many variations of this type of system at every scale. A grow-tent sized waterfall wall isn’t that far out of reach. Might only need one waterfall wall between the male and the females as a barrier, or just throw a desktop zen fountain into the tent.

One could always just vent the tent into a bucket of water so it always bubbles like a bong, stop that pollen at the expense of RH%.

4 Likes

I was thinking along @GMan line about the polarization of a water molecule. That’s Chemistry 201 from '92, so I dunno. Ion bonding ‘n’ stuff.
Back then, pre affordable carbon filters, we vented into garbage cans filled with water and Lysol to scrub the smell.
Might work with extreme negative pressure in a tent.
Kind makes me wonder how @Tonygreen manages the magic that he makes.

4 Likes

That’s pretty interesting. Using some sort of physics. I actually did well in Physics in college. It was one of my favorite courses. We had a passionate, high strung, professor that made the 3 semesters really interesting.

2 Likes