Air brushing pollen?

I could have sworn I saw this somewhere, not sure if here or elsewhere, but I feel like I saw someone putting pollen in an air brush to spray it on the buds.

Anyone know about this? I wonder if this is some really efficient way of pollination?

I was thinking you could put a bag(s), maybe paper bag, over the area(s) you want to spray, tie it up at the bottom around the stem after you carefully take some air out of it while not crush the buds, then poke a tiny hole somewhere, still the tip of the air brush in, give a quick single spray, maybe wait a min, then tape the hole?

If anyone has seen what people do with the air brush if they have and why, please let me know.

5 Likes

I guess it depends on how many seeds you’re looking for.

I’ve always just used a qtip but I’ve only ever made a few seeds at a time.

A good shake of a male in a tent might be sufficient

All the best

3 Likes

I am aware of the q-tip method and may have a few different males I might want to try on a few different branches in the same tent.

I know people use a tiny paint brush as well…

I am looking for an efficient method, it seems to me what I mentioned about might potentially be super efficient with the pollen where you might get a lot of seeds per the given area without wasting too much pollen?

Well that’s the hope, it’s also nice not having to touch every bud or really even have to physically touch them at all I suppose.

2 Likes

A rubber bulb syringe might work.

2 Likes

Hmm, what’s that? never heard of it

1 Like

They are used for ear cleaning.

Sorry link did not work.

2 Likes

Hmm, how would you use that? Same bag idea, suck up the pollen with the bulb, then poke hole in bottom and keep it pointed up?

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking.

2 Likes

Could be a nice low tech option, I like it :+1:t2:

You ever heard of someone doing that?

2 Likes

No, but I might use it to pollinate a whole small tent in the future.

2 Likes

Heck at $5 a pop, you could just keep the pollen in there and tape it off for later use maybe…

One issue I see though with it is how would you know when you ran out of pollen other than a branch not producing I guess? Empty it out someone how? Might be a pain/mess…

Maybe with the air brush I think they make clear containers at least…

But I still like your idea :laughing:

1 Like

Honestly forced air + pollen to me is a recipe for pollinating your entire grow area.

I prefer grabbing a small, clean paintbrush, getting the plant out in a still air area outside the tent or room, and dabbing each node of pistils.

I’m pretty OCD about pollen though, that shit can fly for 10 miles.

6 Likes

I do it all the time and just use a cheap brush from the Dollar Tree store and just brush the lower budz of my pot plant for just a few seeds.

I pollinated my Carolina Reaper pepper plant from last year just 1.5 weeks ago and now I have peppers growing the middle of February…

Even hand pollinate my Venus Fly Traps

15 Likes

I hear ya, would be nice to learn a method that keeps the force air method contained though.

I was thinking, taking some air out of the bag prior and only a short quick squeeze of the trigger, hopefully it wouldn’t push it out of the bag much at all.

1 Like

I know the brush pollination success, I am curious about this other method or really what is the most efficient if you didn’t have that much pollen and were trying to get the most out of it.

I know some people will cut it with flour or whatever to also get more out of it, but I am curious about the most efficient application method, this is why I put this thread in advanced techniques I believe.

No knock to you guys posting, I appreciate the consideration FYI.

1 Like

Perhaps just adding some pollen to the bag and using compressed air to stir up the pollen? I don’t know if pollen would work in an airbrush. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I swear I saw it somewhere, maybe I just dreamed it lol

Holy crap! Never seen a venus flytrap flower!!

1 Like

There’s a member here that has a few carnivorous plants…check out my thread…

Phototrons…SWC/TRON

1 Like

If you just want to pollinate a.couple of branches. What you can do is cut a hole/ holes in a trash bag, put bag over plant and carefully fit the branch/branches through the hole and then tape it up around the branch and pollinate. Wait a few hours and spray with water the trash bag and pollinated branches, floor and surrounding area and remove trash bag and put plant back in flower room.

1 Like