Can pollen travel into nearby tents?

If there are two tents and each has a male and females, is it possible for pollen from one tent to accidentally pollinate a plant in another tent nearby?

Let’s say they are this close:

You can see the vents on the bottom of the tent line up.

I guess air will be pulling INTO the vent, but not 100% sure if that matters.

What about two tents that share a carbon filter/exhaust route?

Like this:

1 Fan pulling air through 2 tents into a filter.

8 Likes

Yes easily. Even if they were on different floors at opposite ends of the house

21 Likes

Damn that ruins some of my plans to have 2 tents both doing separate breeding projects at once…

9 Likes

100% guaranteed to cross pollinate.
one cross at a time per house.

17 Likes

100% yes with ease. Even if completely sealed, which tents are not, as soon as you open the tent pollen will fill the air around it. A grain of pollen is smaller than the human eye can see so it moves through the air no matter what you do.

12 Likes

Absolutely! I have a veg tent In a room with 20ft and a part wall between it and the flower tent. Filters going in and out… I care for the veg tent first, close it and than care for the breeding tent.
And still

That stuff gets every were.

:green_heart: :seedling:

13 Likes

Just like the others said, I agree. An absolute YES!

3 Likes

Man, much more respect for breeders now after finding this out. What a complication… One male at a time basically as far as I understand based on what you guys are saying.

How can you ever choose a male plant if they are basically time bombs for pollinating your entire property?

5 Likes

Growth, health, vigor. Choose the qualities in the vegging plants you like.

6 Likes

It can really travel that easily an far? That’s pretty damn impressive

5 Likes

It really is. It’s so small that although it settles just the air displacement of a person walking picks it back up and on it’s journey. Sticks to a person and their clothes to fly off anywhere as you walk.

7 Likes

Can I use the same male in 2 different tents? Like move it when it starts dropping pollen?

That way I could pollinate 2 tents with the same male?

3 Likes

Sure, it will probably do it for you. You can also just collect pollen and pollinate the bud sites yourself. Just collect some in a bowl, wipe a qtip in it and tap it over the bud sites. You will see the powder dropping onto them. Super simple.

8 Likes

I do the breeding with the whole pack. I use all males and females to get all the genetics possible. I grow one strain at a time in each of the two living areas. Not in flower at the same time.

:green_heart: :seedling:

8 Likes

I hack back my males and put it in a bathroom 30’ away that’s windproof. Works well.

7 Likes

I just came back from a 2wk vaca. I had an auto male sitting on the windowsill when I left. It had sacks, and had dropped a tiny amount of pollen.
When I checked on it yesterday, the pods were much larger and many had popped. The parchment paper under the plant had a lot of yellow on it.
I wanted to see if it was “done”…so grabbed a branch and just gave it a tiny shake…

POOOOF instant yellow cloud.

I don’t have any females up here. I have a couple in the basement that haven’t been hardened off outside, so they may get a bit of a hit…we’ll see.

This was just for my own curiosity. Once I get my garden beds filled and planted, I can get back to work on my “hobby”. My goal is to reverse a female and produce 1 round of fem seeds this summer.

Question for you experienced breeders:
I have some White Widow Cheese Cake that I want to cross with Gambien.
So do I grow out a female Gambien and reverse her, collect pollen and pollinate a White Widow?, or do I do the cross first, then reverse one of those females?

Lob

3 Likes

Until you want sinsemilla… Then its a PITA… A male in a tent in your home could pollenate a plant halfway across town in the right conditions.

Pollen… Gets… Everywhere…

4 Likes

Interesting thread. Going to have to rethink how I’m going to harvest this Blue Sunshine pollen without affecting my flower grow too much. I was planning on putting it in a tent downstairs directly below the flower room.

Was thinking about modding a tent with gloves from a sandblasting box so I can shake the pollen on to a collector below without having to open the tent.

1 Like

Franco used to say a grain of pollen could travel 120 Hectors

3 Likes

When I did my PPP run I had them on the top floor of my house in my grow room. 2 floors down I did a test grow for Mars Hydro with a couple autos. I tended the autos every day before going.up and tending the grow room. Now have some Auto crosses :slight_smile:

3 Likes