Clonex question

Nice work.
They like warmth and moisture.

Fwiw.
Dome on. I root my clones around 80f. Temp inside dome.
Keep dome misted - no spraying the plants necessary.
Every day, wipe dome dry, mist and put back in place.
Start opening dome vents after 4 or 5 days.

10 Likes

Looks good. Yes, I suggested peat pellets, but Grodan works fine, especially if you plan to go hydro.

BTW - when I used to use Grodan, I would place extra Grodan fiber around the hole to protect the rooting stem from light and help lock in moisture. I honestly donā€™t know if it was necessary, but it worked for me! You can get the extra material from the corners.

3 Likes

Awesome I appreciate the info. They had rapid rooter pellets in the bags but no trays to hold them up so I went for the grodans.

Will I have issues going to soil this route? Didnā€™t even realize that haha.

@GramTorino thank you for that. I have always seen people mist the plants directly as well but I will do your method as it seems cleaner.

3 Likes

DJM taught me.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=300255&page=5

I killed a few learning.

6 Likes

Shouldnā€™t be a problem to place the Grodan in soil, as long as you donā€™t allow it to stay saturated. If so, it could cause issues with your stem rotting.

5 Likes

Well I always failed making clones and had envy from you guys with your constant success :sweat:, so tried a different approach.

Iā€™ve got a seed starter with sponge-corks and water I use for germinating. I made a hole across the cork, dipped a straw in Clonex, put the clone inside straw and then the cork and finally pulled out the straw:

and even if they look fragile they all rooted:

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-04 at 23.14.50 WhatsApp Image 2020-06-04 at 23.15.30 WhatsApp Image 2020-06-04 at 23.16.21

so its a mix of Clonex and water but without mixing them, as it has been wisely said. Hope you will have success with yours, mineā€™s were an experiment and as I wasnā€™t expecting to succeed they are now in window shelves ā€¦ :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

@George , you own a body piecing studio ?
: )

2 Likes

Wow that looks so awesome.

I love all things DIY and I am really digging that setup.
I am kind of in the same boat where I took clones a week or so just to see what happens. Now if they were all to root I will have to find something to do with them haha.

Also it looks like we are running the same fabric pots. I picked up a 5 pack of those in 10 gallons for a great price and have my outdoor in those.

2 Likes

I had them in 5 gallons, but there were too big so I bought 1 gal and 3 gal. Roots are more oxygenated and donā€™t roll around. For me itā€™s a mistery, when I transplanted a huge clone form 1 to 3, there were no roots at all ā€¦

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-05 at 00.31.22 WhatsApp Image 2020-06-05 at 00.31.10

Iā€™m harvesting now their ā€œmothersā€ so having more of the same strain doesnā€™t make me very happy, which makes me think how far can we go with this hobby! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Wow thats pretty nuts. I wonder why that is.

They look real happy and healthy though!

2 Likes

because of the air pruning in the airpots , the root mass has a different structure , instead of visually spiriling around pot endlessly , when the root tip reaches the edge of the airpot it is air pruned and stops , this sends message to plant to fire out more roots
While both root masses may be similar in volume the airpot roots will have many more tips , thus better performance kind off
: )

4 Likes

That makes sense.

Are smart pots/air pots the same as the spiky looking pots?

I always see those and was unsure if they did the same thing.

2 Likes

Yes , both air prune : )

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why I only transplanted that one! :stuck_out_tongue:, now it became a monster and flipped her:

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-05 at 01.16.42

so I will keep the rest in 1 gal and see what happens, after watching the solo cup contest I think everythingā€™s possible.

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-05 at 01.17.45

Back to the topic, I think that having their feet in water and the stem in Clonex embedded media helps, will keep trying that way ā€¦ :sunglasses:

Edit: Thanks @ifish for the explanation, I think I will stick to them from now on :+1:, my root structure was already fuzzy as they came from water media :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I thought as they donā€™t have yet roots they feed over the leaves, so it is good spraying them also, perhaps someone can enlighten us ā€¦ icon_confused

2 Likes

This is my goto techno writeup for clone theory.

In a nutshell, high humidity air prevents moisture from being sucked out of the plant.

Snippetā€¦

6 Likes

What the logic behind this step? Is it a sanitation thing?

3 Likes

Yes. I admitā€¦its me assuming the chlorine in my tap water can be of some disinfectant help.

Also found that misting fresh tap on dry plastic dome leaves a nice fine even mist. Vs drippy unwiped.

Air exchange once or twice a day canā€™t hurt.

6 Likes

That was a very informative write up.

What you say about humidity and absorption makes sense to me.

Just out of curiosity, what lighting do you guys run over your clones?

2 Likes

I use a couple of these for rooting small groupsā€¦
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-3-ft-1-Light-30-Watt-Equivalent-White-Integrated-Utility-LED-Shop-Light-with-Power-Cord-SHOP-3X1-840-HD/305059320

(good for under vehicle doing oil changes too - lol)

4 Likes