OG Kush first clones

Hi folks, I’m curious, these clones will be a week old tomorrow, don’t mean to brag, but I was seriously hoping to have only half of them survive the first timer’s chopping and cloning skills, and even though none has shown a sign of root at the bottom, they seem to be fine growing on top, as you can see, almost as though nothing happened.

Even the unintentional accident seems to be resisting. Hope I haven’t spoken too soon! Love to be a part of OG! Can’t stop saying “thank you, everyone!”

17 Likes

That’s quick if they’ve rooted already! Do you keep them in a dome or something?

1 Like

Yep, I improvised this plastic container and have been using it upside down, and the small one just a transparent plastic cup closing it. Spraying water three times a day… Thanks.

3 Likes

The the medium is moist and the dome has condensation ikon the sides, there’s no need to mist them. It’s harder to know when they’ve actually root when they go into cups and medium like that. I use peat pellets or coco plugs, and put them into a large container. As long as there’s fogging on the sides, I either leave them or just wipe the fog off the inside once a day after the third day.

Day 7

12 Likes

Perfect. Actually, due to the lack of availability, I wasn’t able to get my hands on peat pellets and, after having seen someone using perlite and peat moss as a mixture (50%/50%), I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Still you hit the nail on the head, plastic cups won’t let us see roots around it, forcing us to wait until they can be seen from the bottom of the plant, unlike the peat pellets. Thank you @Seamonkey84! … back to learning more and more around here!

2 Likes

Got confused. Isn’t it supposed to be constantly moist and foggy inside the dome so leaves can get to that water, since there aren’t any roots to pull from soil yet? I’ve been letting a bit of water on the bottom of the plate (“upside down container lid”), would that water possibly be detrimental or cause roots to rot? Thanks.

1 Like

I keep forgetting your in a cup already. The idea is to let the medium dry out ever so slowly so the cutting feels the need to grow roots. Cutting sitting in a cup of water will root, will just take longer.

2 Likes

If theres fog on the inside of the dome then its humid enough in there. Like seamonkey I usually am wiping my dome off rather than spraying it. The medium the clone sits in should be moist but not wet, it’s a balance between water and oxygen.

2 Likes

The fastest way to get it to root is to make it thinking’s about to die if it doesn’t.

6 Likes

Great. Love that! fast understanding crashing in, it seems as though the more we can make these plants’ lives get into a bit of a hard time, difficulty; they bounce back and start giving us what we want in the end: more prolific growth. Once again, right on!

2 Likes

It’s a balance between supply water through the stem and humidity to keep the leaves happy. If the medium is too wet (or just cutting sitting in water or cloner) then it’s getting everything it needs to stay alive, why bother rooting. If it feels the need to seek water, then it’ll root faster. My friend I use to grow with, he used an aero cloner, and I used peat pellets in the big jars like I showed above. I wiped the sides off once a day to allow the pellets to slowly dry out as it humidifies the container. His cuttings were 50-75% success with roots in 10-14 days, mine were 100% in 7. I ended up doing all the clowning.

2 Likes

While we’re at it, how long should I keep them in the cups? First timers’ doubts… Is it ok to transplant them now or wait for 14 days?

Let them grow and veg in them! Or wait till the roots fill the cup and hold the soil together. Assuming your planing in soil anyway.

2 Likes

Got it. A thousand thanks! I say I found the right place to learn: here on OG.

2 Likes

Glad to help! If you wanted to push it, trust me, you can grow a big plant in 16oz of dirt. My first attempt at the 16oz challenge, had to back out before blooming.

9 Likes

Holy cannoli! beautiful! Water almost every day, right? how old is this plant? I mean, how long did it take to grow that much? Nice and surely inspiring! Could also be a midget, a small plant but full buds, couldn’t it? One topping only?

Seed planted oct 1, manifold trained. Just up potted Jan 9th. There’s a series of 16oz cup grow challenges that happen on here. Some amazing plants have been finished in the cups. I was watering twice a day, but had to up pot it for bloom since I wouldn’t be able to in the bloom light schedule, plus I want it to make seeds. This is actually the smallest but most uniform out of 4 that I grew like that.

3 Likes

Hi folks, after 21 cuts, I believe I’ve just monster-cropped my OG Kush as a result (hope I haven’t messed up). Cloning wardrobe new area, clones, a mother “in the nude” and pics coming soon… Thanks everyone, especially @Seamonkey84, who’s been helpful all the way, and all the others with irreplaceable tips! Man, I love OG! (pun intended).

3 Likes

As mentioned, here are some pics showing a new cloning area, my wardrobe (way more important “matters” than I’d ever need or wear).

I had prepared 25 cups, probably knowing a bit how my mind operates, I thought it’d be a walk in the park, but rude awakening came soon enough to let me know resources are limited, always! Long story short, I was able to get 21 cuts from the plant…

My apologies for the poor quality, have been more concerned with not screwing as a grower…

Now, being as careful as possible, I moved along…

And the clones came to this…

And the mother… fingers crossed! Only really worried after the damage done! Tons of learning though…

Now the wardrobe…

and its follow-up…

And the mother goes back to the light…

Hope you guys like it! Thanks!

5 Likes

Hi folks, it’s been 5 days since the last pics… and I’m uploading the latest pics of the clones. 20210201_091539 It’s kind of cloudy round here, reason why humidity is a bit high, but it’s closer to 70%…
20210201_091643 20210201_091936 and this one… lots of nodes already…
20210201_091949
That’s it for now.

3 Likes