Coco, can I start seedlings in it?

I burned up 2 fem. Blue Mystic using Kellogg’s. So I got a brick of Coco and Fox Farm Ocean Forest. Should I go straight Coco for my seedlings, or should I mix a little FFOF into the Coco.

1 Like

I personally like it sprouting the seeds in a little tupperware with paper towels, keep warm and the lid closed and voila! Check every 8 hours, if you seed a cracked seed or a pointy tip coming out, plant them in your mix/soil.

1 Like

Yea always guess paper towels. I got concerned when I read about bleach treated paper towels. So I double up and run water threw them now.

1 Like

Yeah i know but anyway, try different methods and see what you like best!

HppHrvst

1 Like

Yes, you can start seeds directly in coco with great results, just don’t let it dry out. I prefer the paper towel method as well as I always want to see if they cracked or not and digging them out to see isn’t really an option. ;]

Good Luck!

3 Likes

This is Gorilla Glue from FastBuds, in coco, with perlite…

2 Likes

A mix like fox farm with coco added works great. One thing with coco bricks - watch out for salts. Some are pre-rinsed and pH balanced. If your brick isn’t, make sure to rinse it after expanding.

2 Likes

Instead of paper towels an getting those fibers stuck to your seedling i was taught from someone that used a sponge from the kitchen and sandwich 2 keeps seeds wet till they pop almost eveytime so leave an watch not much keeping them wet

2 Likes

It’s fine to start directly in Coco. Just don’t bury the seed to deep. Obviously start to give them a little nutrients once the cotyledons start to yellow.

1 Like

Jiffy pellets are fine coco fibre and peat with enough fert to raise sprouts, but its best to soak the seeds in water for 24hrs to get them to crack. So if you use them your medium stays the same.

I start straight in Promix. No paper towels or anything fancy.

1 Like

JohnnyPotseed did an excellent thread on seed raising in worm castings, I suppose it depends on the number of seeds.

Autoflowers I put straight into its pot and wait a week or so. If nothing pops above the medium dig around and if needed put in another seed.
Photoperiod plants I’ve done the same in the past but usually I start them in root riot cubes or rock wool until the roots fill the cube.

I think this is one of the oldest threads I have seen revived here.

1 Like

That doesn’t matter. It’s good to have the information here and as time goes by methods change so it’s good to have it updated.

1 Like

I find it funny to update a few post thread from 2017 when the OP has not been here since 2017 and there are other newer threads on the same topic. That said update away, I am not here to try to stop you. No arguing that things change.

1 Like

2017 was even before I joined I think so I get you bro :rofl:
But in my eyes any information we have needs shared even if it does revive a 4 year old thread :+1:
Sorry if I came across as though I wanted an argument. Wasn’t my intention :+1:

1 Like

Not at all bud and I get what you are saying. I guess it’s because I just smoked some rosin but it made me laugh when I saw someone respond to a 7 post thread from 2017 like it was new. There is absolutely no problem with sharing info no matter how old the thread. I was just having some fun cause it made me laugh.

Also just to keep the thread on track, I plant into Coco/Perlite all the time smokeit2

1 Like

:coffin::coffin::coffin::coffin::coffin::coffin::smiling_imp::exploding_head:

2 Likes

Don’t you start :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like