Fox Farms: Ocean Forest vs. Happy Frog

Hey all. I have always used Ocean Forest to start seeds and grow in, but this time around I tried starting seeds in Happy Frog. I transfer seeds with tap roots into the soil. I haven’t had the best luck but I can’t really blame the Happy Frog for it. Has anyone tried starting seeds in both? What gave you better results? I was always told Ocean Forest will burn seedlings but that never happened to me.

5 Likes

Both have been fine for me. What I usually do is toss them in a shot cup of room temp ro water for 12 hours and pinch the seed open. Then I scoop up 10 cups of soil into a container and mix it in with 4 cups of ro water. Afterwards, I toss the soil into 3" pots with about 20 sprays each of water. Finally, I’ll add the seed in about a tip of a cotton swabs head deep. Haven’t lost a seed in a long time with this method + soil combo.

4 Likes

yeah… i had 3/4 seeds germ and of those 3 only 1 broke ground. i never had that happen to me before which is why i was questioning it. all 3 had tap roots. i love the texture and moisture of the happy frog though. every time i get ocean forest it’s dried out shit, it’s been like that for years but it seems to work well. it wasn’t the same 10 years ago.

3 Likes

Mix them if you need. The happy frog for sure stays a bit wetter than the ocean forest which is the main reason I measure out the water I add in. A little too much and they can fail. For the 2 that haven’t broken ground if the soil is too wet you can gently scrape the soil with a cotton swab until you see the seed to loosen/aerate it a bit and lightly cover it up with the same soil.

4 Likes

that could be it, user error on my part. i didn’t really factor that in. i’ll probably switch to ocean forest for my next batch.

2 Likes

When you plant your seedlings, water the plant, not the pot. Just a tablespoon of water a day is usually enough for the first week. That’s what I do. I’m a living soil grower now mostly, but I use Happy Frog for starter media. I’ve always wanted to try Ocean Forest though.

4 Likes

I start them in the Happy Frog and then for veg I use Ocean Forest. I love using Strawberry Fields for flower.

7 Likes

I’ve done this many times as well, with pretty good results too.

Maybe I’ll go back to soil when my coco runs out or do a side by side with the same cut :thinking:

5 Likes

I mix em 1:1 and use for every stage of growth. I don’t rinse or anything. worst issue I’ve had is fungus gnats but they are just annoying and never get outta hand with a buncha sticky traps!

3 Likes

I`ve always used Ocean Forest from the get go and have never had a problem.

3 Likes

I use happy frog mixed with perlite and coco or peat for landraces. Oc3an forest is way too hot for them.

2 Likes

Have you tried starting seeds in peat plugs OP?

Works great for me and you skip the soil (and pots) until you see roots. I get 100% germ rates all the time.

2 Likes

No
I use both, sometime mix them.
Thing is it’s got small matter in it
Could make a seed have a hard time
Pushing thru it though not impossible.
I use peat moss , pellets or just put a little
In a small shot glass size cup.
When seedling has pushed up nice
Then I put in my happy frog.
I also like the paper towel method.
Let the grow and inch or so and put
Directly into Happy Frog

2 Likes

i’m just going to switch to ocean forest for this next batch of seeds i’m starting. i just picked up a bag. i’ve had good luck running ocean forest from seedling to harvest. it’s just what i’m familiar with i guess.

3 Likes

so… i opened the ocean forest and the bag was nice and moist. this hasn’t happened for me in over 10 years. looks really nice, not dry or anything. :+1:

1 Like