COCO flood and drain

hey folks any one here use coco in flood and drain with jacks 3 2 1 ? planning on starting a 4x8 table with 72 1 gallon pots filled with coco using only jacks 3 2 1.

was wondering how many 1 gallon pots 50 liters of canna coco can fill and should i do a 60/40 coco perlite mix to save money or straight coco ?

7 Likes

I kinda do that. 6inch pots and 1gal fabrics depending what I got around.

Definitely want the perlite, I try and do 50/50 for flood and drain… maybe a nice 0.5-1inch layer of perlite or hydroton at the bottom of the pot. I flood my table every 3hrs for flower and don’t have any issues this way.

No idea how much you’ll need tho :confused:

9 Likes

hey thanks for the feed back. i will prob do the 50/50 as you say canna coco aint cheap 25 a bag i think. and adds up fast lol. are 6 inch plastic pots 1 gallon ? im wondering if i should look for something smaller like half gallon pots ? are u also running jacks?

1 Like

I used to do Flood and Drain with just straight perlite. A lot cheaper.

4 Likes

No the 6inch pots I have, I thinik are half gallons, would definitely recommend fabric pots of some kind over a hard pot, but the hard pots will work fine for shorter plants, like sub 3ft. I get better growth with fabrics though, something with being able to breathe through the side of the pot.

I am not running jacks currently, been using armorsi+calimagic+maxibloom lately non-stop but you shouldn’t have any issues using jacks with it. There’s quite a few people using jacks here and there’s some nute charts floating around too.

2 Likes

thank you. i will look into any fabric pots around and see cost.

interesting. does it work similar to coco ?

Both are inert mediums. You would probably flood more often with straight perlite.

2 Likes

awesome thank you

1 Like

I’m curious if anyone using this method has to top feed the coco once a week to prevent salt buildup?

When using rockwool in FnD, it’s recommended to top feed once a week, but I’m not sure if necessary in coco.

i never do as of yet. i only use jacks 321 start to finish and havent had a problem as of yet. but if you did want to be safe instead of once a week just do it once at week 3 or 4

1 Like

Thanks for responding! Have you been running coco flood and drain for about year?

How do you like it?

I have run rockwool in flood and drain a few times and I’m wondering how coco compares.

How high do you flood your pots?

1 Like

yes about a year now and i really like it. i need to make custom tables though as my 4x4 cant fit down the stairs in new place. i usually flood 2 inches or so with about 3 mins to fill and 5 to drain and water twice a day in veg and flower in 1 gal pots. some people water 3 or 4 times but i havent really tested if it makes a difference. rockwool is just to exspensive to justify for me. imo flood>hand watering pots.

1 Like

Yeah I agree, rockwool is expensive and getting harder to find at reasonable prices.

I’m going to try coco this next time. Thanks for letting me know about your process, I’m glad you you are enjoying it :+1:

1 Like

if you are running sog style with many plants you can go smaller than 1 gallon also. if i were to go back i think .8 gallon square pots would be perfect with around 32 per 4x4

1 Like

I never top feed my Mapito ( Rockwool mix )
I flood and drain once every 3 days
And I been reuseing the same Mapito for years so cost is not an issue as I only buy once

The flooding pushes / leaves the salt tide line above the root zone , so it doesn’t affect roots ( I flood 1/3 of Mapito hieght and never go over )
If you top feed you are pushing that salt tide line back into root zone raising ph and ec drastically in root zone

At the end of the grow after chop , I flush salt tide line out of Mapito mix and start my next run , a continuous cycle
I use cannazym at the end and start of every grow added to nute mix , to breakdown and stop excessive buildup of old roots in my crates / totes : )
I put multiple clones in each crate , as altho plants are sharing the space , it gives them the illusion of more root space available for them to use

7 Likes

Hey @204medismoke I’m curious what your EC or PPM targets are?

I’m probably a week away from having plants in a coco flood and drain system and still kind of hammering out all the details.

Hope all is well!

4 Likes

with my tap water im pushing close to 2100ppm at full strength so i usually dilute to around 1400/1500 for early and late veg and then around 1800/2000 on out. seems to be working for me and im sure i dont even have to dilute but id rather be little under than over and adjust strain dependent,

2 Likes

I’m running gyspum+maxibloom with mostly perlite in ~5 inch pots in my table. Depending on the plant, somewhere around 1.2-1.8 EC in veg and 1.8-2.3 EC in flower. Flooding every 2hrs for 1 minute.

2 Likes

Mostly perlite and some coco?

Is a 5 inch pot like half a gallon?

I could see why you would need to flood pretty often with mostly perlite.

Thanks for sharing the EC targets! Do you ever have to top feed or flush?

1 Like