Hand watering coco

I’m growing a couple plants in 3 gallon fabric pots filled with a 70/30 coco perlite mix . I feel that I have been over watering . Any suggestions on how often I should be watering . This is my first time using coco .

7 Likes

Dang! I find it hard to imagine how you could over water with that setup!

Anything past 2 or 3 weeks of veg (depending on the plant size) I’d expect to be watering 1/2 to 1 L per day under normal conditions (25C, 40% RH). OK, I’m using 5 Gallon cloth pots and top watering but it should be about the same.

All bets are off if you are bottom watering…

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Thanks for the response @Gpaw . I’ve been trying to water and get a decent amount of runoff . Plants are about 24" tall and recently flipped . The pots are just so heavy and I’m seeing some things I don’t like . My run off EC seems ok . PH goes in 5.8 comes out 6.2 - 6.3 So I’m think root zone is to wet . Im holding off watering for a couple days to see what happens . Ill post some pics later of leaf rolling / twisting I’m seeing .

3 Likes

Don’t let the coco dry out, watering is once a day for earlier stages and then two, those pics will help … Arriba|nullxnull

4 Likes

Yeah , did some studying before I started this coco endeavor so I knew not to let it dry out . I also read you cant really over water . But I think I might be . Earlier in this grow the EC run off got High and I flushed with a low solution . Things got better but now not so good . Ill take a pic or two when the lights are on . If i decide to water tonight Ill post run off EC and PH . I’ve already mixed up a weak solution up this morning. GH Flora and Cali magic. 6.25m cali , 4.5m micro, 5.0m gro, and1.25m bloom in 5 Gallon bucket . . My last couple waters were double those numbers same ratio .

4 Likes

I will never go with organics or coco :sweat:, too hard to control, how come you changed? :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Tropf Blumats! Set it and forget it!

2 Likes

Really can’t over water coco unless those fabrics aren’t letting water drain correctly…most issues in coco are related to most times to pH and remember with coco that pH needs to be a touch lower on the start

6 Likes

I’m running seedlings in straight coco in an ebb and flow set up. It floods every hour. I doubt you’re watering more than that.

Sounds a lot like pH issues to me.

3 Likes

I guess i like fucking around . Been doing soil for awhile . Tried hempys with some success . Did large ebb and flow table SOG grows with a few different mediums for about 8 years straight at one time when I had lots of space . I’ve been missing the fast growth of hydro .

4 Likes

I’ve calibrated my PH meter and have been checking run off . Seems right .

1 Like

I’ve been aiming for 5.7 - 5.8 when I mix it . Usually let it sit all day and might go up slightly . When I check the run off its 6.2 - 6.3

4 Likes

Hydro really goes fast, I am pretty bored right now with my soil seedlings, but soil gives you more margin when making errors and it is easier to correct them, has not that water dependency as coco does … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Maybe 6.2 - 6.5 is too high for your plants? I have a RDWC plant that likes a lower pH in a reservoir with a plant that hates lower pH’s. I have to run the res in the middle so both plants aren’t happy. One gets a lot of leaf chlorosis and the other has the twisting and rolling you describe - that’s the one that likes a lower pH than I run at.

Not saying your pH isn’t in the range you think it is, I’m just saying maybe this plant doesn’t like that range.

4 Likes

I agree with what you say I’ve never had a problem with over watering in soil myself . But i cant get the same rate of growth I used to get with hydro I’m sure experienced soil growers do better than me though .

4 Likes

Possible I guess . Seems nobody thinks its over watering. Like I said I’ve never done coco before so I’m listening . :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s for sure, I only run DWC once but it was amazing, maybe octopots would have been a better option for you … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

Oh @George I wish !!! I was reading all Jetros posts when he was here. Really like what I was reading and seeing. Last time I checked though way to expensive to get them to Canada. I looked at Auto pots which I can get but I’m not impressed with what I’ve able to find out about them .

4 Likes

Contrary to what most people say I let my coco dry out a bit till the top 2-10% is proper light and dry, occasionally not every watering! go by weight of the pot after than look of the soil. A bit of a cheat can be hydrogen peroxide in your feed. Also I generally keep my ph around 6-6.3 but that can be plant dependant as has been said.

5 Likes

So you think the coco can be to wet ?

2 Likes