CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

Man!

Now you got me looking for some SUN RA McLovin… :rainbow:

5 Likes

They look great for SOG and seed runs…

I have been using 7.5 gal totes

Very interested in seeing how these work out for you.

4 Likes

You can purchase Sun Ra at GLG, it’s just not listed as a freebie.

6 Likes

Gracious brother! :+1:

3 Likes

I would love to use them for making seeds/breeding, sadly all tents are dedicated to other things… 2 have beds, 1 is now for Earthboxes only and 1 is for the veg madness (and of course the newest one for @Pluckyevil’s Cana Fairy Garden heh)

I guess I just need think up an easy/cheap way I want to go about making some mini tents/grow boxes maybe. @Enjoi802 just needs to sell me a few of his mini tents maybe lol. (nudge…nudge…)

7 Likes

Watching closely… These cultivars are right up my alley…

6 Likes

I’m not sure what you plan on using as your medium, but if you are planning on leaving a permeable lid on your container, it will be very hard to have a LABS dominant culture unless you are using a source that is very dominant in lactose(hence why milk is normally used). By leaving it open air, you are letting any and all microbes in your environment in to the food source, and without properly steering them, there is a high chance what you culture will not end up lacto dominant. Not that what you end up would be useless, just more likely to be dominant or co-dominant with other yeasts and bacteria and not LABS.

There are other ways and options that you can steer away from milk if that bothers you for some reason, but if it’s LABS your after, you need that lactose to help steer you there, or you need to start with a known culture and propagate it without allowing for much contamination.

I’ve done a bunch of lacto fermentation(mostly food and beverage based, but for the garden as well) so if you have any questions about your process, let me know.

8 Likes

Dude! Those are so cool! If you ever get to the point where you are making them for sale, let me know!!! Keep us updated brother!

6 Likes

@bassman5420 this song is dedicated to you!

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback appreciate it.

There’s a video I posted further up in this thread where he makes LABS without milk.

He uses brown rice, salt , sugar & mineral water but closes the container opening it 2 times a day to remove the air/gas.

This is the process I wanted to follow but I was hoping to have a more hands of approach and basically use his approach but with the milk method of LITFA.

I hate the smell I don’t drink dairy. I do have some made maybe I could put some of that into the no milk method?

5 Likes

I used older labs to culture a new batch, but with milk. Try it and see. Worth a shot!

4 Likes

Yeah if you have a good solid culture going you could definitely use that. If the culture is just LABS there shouldn’t be much gas produced(if it all), but it is going to be rare that it’s completely clean.

I’d say with that method if you don’t want to have to touch it you could easily put an air lock on it. That will allow gas to escape without allowing anything to get in. Inexpensive and widely available from homebrew shops. They make some that fit mason jar lids as well.

If you find a need, you can also procure lactose from a homebrew supply. I’ve never done it, but I don’t see why you couldn’t culture with that if you want to. I don’t think you need to do that if you have a solid culture to work off of already, but if you ever lose that culture and you want to get back to LABS dominant without using any kind of dairy that could be a good option. Likely you would want some kind of addition of a mineral source or something to keep the culture really healthy(unsure on this as I have had the need so I haven’t gotten that far into the minutiae of what lactobacilli need for optimum health). I just figure anytime you use something so isolated, you usually need something else to round it out for optimum health. I small bit of grain or molasses or something. The beautiful part of the lactose is that other than lactobacilli, there aren’t too many things that can digest it.

Fun milk fact, raw milk contains enzymes and cultures that help break down the lactose and make it digestible. Most people who are lactose intolerant will have no issues with raw milk or dairy products that have not been pasteurized.

Sorry for being so long winded. Hopefully some of the info is useful

5 Likes

I’ve never heard of using an existing batch of LABS as a starter like that, sounds wicked interesting, I’m gonna have to look that up, any resources you’d recommend?

4 Likes

No worries! I like long winded answers! Ha! Thank for the information

5 Likes

In your milk LABS how much culture are you adding to the milk to get it going? The same 1:10 ratio just straight into the milk?

Wouldn’t that be the salt?

You can be as long winded as you like :slight_smile: I’m with @CrunchBerries I like them :+1:

:peace_symbol:

6 Likes

I was talking to a dude over on the RIU sip thread who had experience with using the old labs to culture anew. I gave it a try and it did indeed work. I guess it would be akin to a sourdough starter perhaps.
I was watching a discussion the other day about the famous 8-27-72 Veneta, Oregon GD show. The hosts were talking to Ken Babbs, famous Merry Prankster, and the owner of Nancy’s yogurt. The show in 72’ was a benefit to support Nancy’s company. Yogurt was new then and the company was struggling.
Long story short, they asked Nancy about how to start making yogurt from scratch and her answer was to get a good culture, like using Nancy’s brand as a starter culture. So I think a similar principle would apply.

4 Likes

I did 2:10, but the curds were still not as thick as fresh rice wash mixture.

3 Likes

That is a fun milk fact!

7 Likes

Oh yeah, with that recipe you listed there are plenty of rounded nutrients. I more meant if you were to try to culture in a lactose solution, you would want to add something other than just the lactose ideally.

You could use that recipe and use lactose as you sugar source if you are in need or better selecting for LABS dominance. Otherwise much like a sourdough culture, which yeasts and bacteria dominate will fluctuate based on environmental conditions and available food sources.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Now my head is really spinning.

So I think I will ask can I make LABS the same way as in the video but with a cheese cloth lid like it’s done with milk.

I don’t want to be buying anything from the brew shop lactose or make it anymore complicated than it has to be.

I’m not sure what is dominant etc… I just want to make a LABS like the milk method but without the milk.

Just do everything as explained in the video (no whey) LABS but without a closed lid, just a cheesecloth lid so I don’t have to de-gas twice a day.

3 Likes