CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

Well, the Grove bags don’t maintain moisture for me. I got some 1 oz Grove bags. I heat-sealed one up with some nice bud I had just finished drying, to give to a friend. Well, I didn’t see the friend for about 2 months, and the bag sat in a drawer, until I finally got it to him. he reported the bud was completely bone dry! AS an experiment, I took a 1/4 oz bag, and sealed it up with some perfectly ready 60% RH maintained bud from a jar. A month later, and it is DRY AS POPCORN. I no longer trust the Grove bags and went back to jars.

Just recycled my EB’s soil for another run - peppers in one, and basil in the other (Thai and Sweet), to go outside on my deck. Weather is finally getting warm enough. I’m not doing another grow until the fall - I have plenty from the last 2 runs. SIPs rule.

5 Likes

Was just told about this wonderful place by @Maddawg and damn! Thank you both. Anyone who wants to see my grow log it’s over under the indoor, organics selection.

Gonna take me while to read through but I will in time :pray::pray:

6 Likes

Thanks for chiming in with your experience homie @CWF Noted!

5 Likes

Welcome @ColForbin! Glad you joined us!

5 Likes

Thank you @CrunchBerries I’m very happy to be here.

6 Likes

Head on over and check out ColForbin :arrow_up: latest grow!

@ColForbin What ya got growing in there?

4 Likes

Damn thank you for the support first of all!

So let me number a picture to make this easier on all of us. One moment…

5 Likes

It seems like I read somewhere that Grove bags work best when they’re kept in an environment that’s close to 60° F/60% RH…remarkably like the arguable ideal drying conditions.

I can’t recall where I read that or how far removed from fact that might be, so take it with a large grain of salt.

4 Likes

I just follow instructions provided by @nube to make the LAB, for phase 1.

1. With a gloved hand, swish and rinse white rice with water.
  2. Save the cloudy water in a jar, let it sit for 1wk in a cupboard or other dark spot with a paper towel over the top and secured with rubber bands or the rim of a mason jar lid.
  3. When it’s developed three distinct layers inside (mold/gunk on top, clear yellowish liquid in the middle, white gunk/sediment on the bottom), siphon out the middle layer into a separate large container such as a half gallon jar.
  4. Pour skim milk into the jar with the middle yellowish rice wash water, leaving an inch or two on top for it to bubble. Leave it in the same dark cupboard for a week or two, checking daily to see the milk’s consistency. This may smell bad for a few days.
  5. After the milk has clearly curdled, pour out the remaining liquid without disturbing the curds. This liquid should be yellow, slightly cheesy, and is basically pure cultured lactobacillus serum aka LABS. You can eat the cheese curds, as it’s just homemade queso fresca.

Ended up with this solution:

Kind of hard to see, but there’s a big curd at the top… I fed that to the dog we’re fostering and she loved it! The yellowish opaque liquid is the good stuff

1. Store the LABS in a tightly sealed jar in your fridge. When you want to use it, mix at a ratio of 1:20 with tap water, adding a couple tablespoons of unsulfured molasses per quart of water, a day before you want to use it, to activate it. This activated mixture is what you can use for clearing drains, stinky compost containers, adding to topwatered organic soil for a boost, and for making bokashi.

I modified the above step a bit, and went ahead and added the molasses to the mixture and then stored in a sealed jar.

Phase two of the process involves having some sort of bran/grain/carb to inoculate with the LAB solution, and then leave to ferment.

In my test batch I used whole oats, because I had those around for other mycology projects. I’ve heard you can use other things too, like rice husks/hulls, newspaper, shredded cardboard, coffee grounds, etc. but I have no experience with those. I used a coffee grinder, grinding the oats, to expose the endosperm under the husk/bran of the oats, but I’m not entirely sure that step is necessary.

I used enough oats to fill a one quart mason/ball jar all the way to the top of the jar. Once full, I prepped the LAB solution, in my case, just added it to some water… I eyeballed it, but probably 1:15 or 1:10 ratio. Keep in mind I already added molasses to mine, so if you haven’t done that, you’d need to do that at this step. Once ready, pour enough of the solution into the mason jar with your bran of choice, just enough to saturate the medium, you don’t want it sopping wet. I think the instructions that I’ll link below mention something like the consistency of oatmeal cookie dough. Anyways, once saturated, seal the jar tight with a jar lid and leave to sit for two weeks or longer.

In my case, after two weeks, I could see tiny bits of white stuff growing in the jar, mostly on the endosperm parts, but I’m not sure if that’s even good thing or not, I don’t have a good microscope, nor do I know much about micro bacteria to ID anything, but white stuff is good, any other color is bad, in this case.

After it’s done fermenting for two or three weeks, open the jar and give a smell test… it should smell slightly sweet, and a little yeasty, those are good signs.

At this point, you want to spread it out on something and let it dry, if you’re trying to store it for later use. I think it will stay good for a year or longer if properly stored in an air tight container (once fully dried).

I used cardboard shoeboxes and the lids, then spread out the bran and left out for a couple of days and it dried right up. I’m betting you could leave it out on whatever’s convenient for you, you could also probably use a fan to speed of the process. Put everything back in the jar, and seal it up. At the end I was left with this:

How exciting… a jar of ground oats :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Nah, it’s what’s living on 'em that counts…

I kind of went by mixture of these instructions, and just winging it. I didn’t use the EM-1 listed in the instructions, obviously, using my own LAB solution in it’s place.

It should be fairly simple to replicate, especially for you guys already making your own LAB. It would be cool to see some others attempt it, to compare our results… hit me up if you do.

:peace_symbol:

11 Likes

Good to know, I’ll try heat sealing mine for long term storage.

fair enough. it’s easier to toss those bags around, and you could cram more in the fridge or something.

exactly what I do, pirate ship ftw! The post is about five minutes away, so I print at home and just drop in the outgoing pile, the less interaction, the better… no offense to my mailpeople, they bring me weed stuff all the time, after all!

7 Likes

Hell yeah! Thank you @iamyou_youareme for the thorough write up. I really appreciate it bud! That project is coming in the very near future.

4 Likes

It’s been very dry here this winter - when it isn’t raining. After a front goes thru, it gets in the 25-35 % range for days. Some days the weather report has fire danger warnings due to low RH. I didn’t think anything of it, with the bag heat-sealed and all. The rest of the year it is humid here, the sticky South, as it is. In winter? Nope. Lesson learned.

4 Likes

In like jail currently but loving the action in here today!

Welcome to the club @MoBilly @GREANDAL @ColForbin! Prob forgetting some one

7 Likes

Thank you homie! Hope to chat more in the future once you’re out of jail! Takes me a few days to have fingers that don’t stain my phone screen cover :joy::joy:

1 Like

That’s a ripping setup! A bed and two EBs! What size tent is that in? 5x5?

5 Likes

Some SIP experts up in here. Learned a lot about soil at the beginning too. Please forgive my simple mind, but as fascinating as these are, they always inspire the same question in me: “how is this different than bottom watering?”

When I’m in a rush I often water my soil plants by plopping them in a large kitchen-mixing bowl full of water. Once you play with the levels of how high the water should go up, you can just maintain that low level (about 1/8 of pot’s height), like a passive wick res, similar to this. Doesn’t require specialized equipment, and leaves the possibility to up-pot more easily

2 Likes

This’ll be the first time. I’m excited to watch the tent fill up I’m actually in a 4x4!!

3 Likes

This is more like a fresh water reservoir in the bottom that is clean water only. The plant isn’t forced to drink water that’s been loaded with nutes

4 Likes

Why did you use Oats ? I’ve used rice water a few times making labs.

3 Likes

You can do plain water for bottom watering soil also, if your soil is amended for that

1 Like