CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

That is a good tip!! 24$ for a 50#er! Awe dang! Road-trip @BeagleZ ! We have Southern States in the area, so I might try out that route also. Thanks again @HorseBadorites !!

6 Likes

As long as you do the rolling :wink:

5 Likes

In case anyone missed it here is a link to @SillyHippy’s DIY Photosynthesis + recipe

7 Likes

Lmk if you post that. I’m in a small space and enjoy variety too much to run one plant in a 18gal SIP (my original plan)

6 Likes

@minitiger @unomas

I have a bunch of 7.5 gal sips already in use.

I just built another one this afternoon and took a bunch of pictures. I am cropping pics now and should have something posted soon. Rather than writing it all and rereading and editing it I will probably just slap it up. We shall see how many times I edit it after posting…

10 Likes

Building a 7.5 gal SIP 101

Items needed:
• 7.5 gal Tote
• ¾ PVC pipe (schedule 20)
• ½” Vinyl tubing
• Landscape fabric or similar
• Perforated Drain Pipe (PDP) 4" diameter
• ½ “ Barbed Elbow connections

Adding water to your tote is an important step so that you can check to see if your tote has any leaks. I have made a few totes and a bunch of totes from the HD had a very small hole all in the same place. I just took an old soldering iron and welded the holes closed. It wasn’t a pain other than having to pour some more water in after they were repaired to make sure they were water tight.

I started with this 7.5 gal tote from wally world.

I start by cutting the large end of the Perforated Drain Pipe (PDP) off and bending the PDP to the shape.

I then simply cut the PDP to length.

I then take the landscape fabric or similar and ziptie it to the end of the PDP

I then cut a notch out of my 3/4" pvc so the water can flow out easily into the PDP. I then slip the PVC inside the 7.5 tote and cut the 3/4 pvc to the desired height.

Next I cut a hole for the water filler tube. I then take a small piece of landscape fabric and wrap it around the filler tube so that when I push the filler tube into the PDP it will have less space for your medium to escape into your reservoir/PDP.

This is what it looks it looks like when the reservoir is completed

With the Reservoir assembly in place I marked the top of the assembly and drilled a hole so that the bottom of the drilled hole will sit one inch from the top of the reservoir. This will leave a 1 inch air layer.
**Remember *** This hole has to line up with the reservoir and be against the landscape fabric so the water will flow out without getting clogged

Then I convince the 1/2 rubber grommet that it needs to fit in the small hole I just drilled for it.

Before I install the 90°barbed elbow connection into the rubber grommet I slip the 1/2 Vinyl tubing onto the barbed elbow. Then I install the 90° barbed elbow into the rubber grommet and cut the vinyl tubing to length.

Now that the overflow is installed you will need to cut the landscape fabric on the PDP so that the 90° barbed elbow on the inside of the tote is poking through the landscape fabric. This will allow the water inside the tote to flow out when the tote is overfilled. I recommend cutting a slightly smaller hole than is needed and working the end of the elbow through the cut in the fabric** Don’t forget to turn the overflow tube sideways or down so that if the reservoir is overflowed the water can drain out. The over flow can also be turned down and tipped if you need to drain water from the reservoir.

Now that the lower portion of the SIP is complete we need to cut a holes in the top for the plant and the filler tube.
You can cut a hole in the top wherever you typically plant into your SIP’s. I chose the center on this one.
I measure the filler tube from the sides and mark the top cover where the hole should be cut. You can see the marks I made for where to drill the filler tube hole.

As the top is locked onto the now SIP on the sides I cut the top in half so that I can easily get to the top of my soil by taking away the cover without disturbing the plant !

Now just fill the New SIP up to the top of the PDP with vermiculite and you are GTG!

You are now ready to add your soil mix and start a SIP grow.

Water volume is approx 1.5 gal
(Soil volume is approx 9"x 15.5")
The tote is 15" in length at the top of the vermiculite and is just under 16" at the top of the tote so I split it to be 15.5"

I tried to build this SIP using the method I found in this post. I do not usually build my SIP’s this way. I can tell you that building a SIP this was is way easier than I have done it in the past.

20 Likes

Ok SIP squad, I have a question…

As expected it looks like my ST is outpacing the EB. We have a bit too much fade happening this early on.
We need some immediate attention so my usual applications won’t really do the trick, so thinking of giving her some aminos.

The res is empty and ready to fill but here’s my question. Should I just top water the aminos in all the way, or, put the aminos in the res?
If I do this I’d like to give her a full dose so I’m not sure if top watering 3 gallons is a good idea. I figure it would end up in the res though, so I’m just confusing myself.

Another less attractive option is the blue gold that’s been aging in my bottom shelf.

10 Likes

Just spitballin’, but how about something foliar? They do look hungry.

5 Likes

Usually don’t foliar this far along into flower.
The best thing I would have is the mixed weed FPJ I suppose, could give that a shot but the RH is already a bit too high in that little tent too, that that worries me with foliar.

6 Likes

I wasn’t looking at the buds, just the leaves, d’oh!

And, unless you’re a bud washer, might leave something funky… unless you flavored it. Like bartender, gimme an Absinthe 'n Aminos lol!

5 Likes

What day are you on?

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: Dunno, not keeping track. I’d say prob week 4 into flower

4 Likes

I personally would topdress with your craft blend, ewc, maybe some compost if ya got it and water in like a gallon with the aminos. Maybe some soluble feed so they get fed now and later. Just fill the reservoir as normal.

9 Likes

Copy that… so fill res without aminos and give a gallon with aminos to the top? Or a gallon less to the res?

3 Likes

Looks good to me!

You just need to get some live IPM like Lenny and Squiggy and you’re set :laughing:

:peace_symbol:

5 Likes

I agree EWC & Compost since it’s in flower. Wouldn’t this be the right time to also feed them some FFJ?

I just remembered there was a really good thread from a member over at the Autoflower forum who unfortunately is no longer with us RIP.

I learnt a ton from @MrOldBoy and his thread is really well documented.

White Crack + Sour Livers SIP LOS Grow

&

Mephisto Sam’s Crack - Completed - Dry / Cure

He was such a great guy to chat with and super knowledgeable too.

Huge resource in those two threads

:peace_symbol:

11 Likes

Got my window ac unit hooked up and I’m feeling right with the world

16 Likes

Now that is a positive vibe right der’…

8 Likes

Ya dude! T-Bone’s hyped on the cool temps!

6 Likes

Update on the EarthBox.
I filled the res with H20/LABs and top watered 1 gallon with the aminos and a good dose the banana FFJ @invisible :+1::+1:
Got home pretty late last night so didn’t really get to have a good look but I hadn’t seen any immediate improvement.
Will update later when lights come on.

Edit: got busy cutting down HotMess #2 last night so didn’t get to update here.
Seems like the fade had now stalled at least, no improvement on color but as long as we have stalled it for a bit I’m happy :+1::+1:

7 Likes