CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

:+1::+1::+1: sweet thanks @nube!
I have some 4x4 diffusion silks, .25 and .5 stop silks I have been thinking about putting in my tent somehow so I can lower my light.
Right now it is all the way up to the ceiling and at 40%.
You think the diffusion screen would work ok for this? I can’t spread the bars out anymore as my light is wall to wall. So the only option is to try to spread the actual light, and this is how I do it with strobes so :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

Since you’re already running strip lights, I don’t think you’ll benefit from diffusing the light further @BeagleZ . Those diffusion silks will only serve to block light.

Which Medicgrow model do you have? Minimum hanging height for LED strip lights is based on the distance between bars and the angle of output from the diodes. Instead of getting deep in the math, I just hang them as low as I can without seeing plant stress. That varies by strain and pheno, but most are fine at 8-12" from the strips unless you have very high power strips. Definitely hang the strip lights no more than 18" above the canopy.

And remember, we don’t need to push plants hard most of the time. Less is more in many cases. For example, happy plants with medium DLI will often yield nearly the same but have higher quality compared to unhappy plants with high DLI. Plant health is probably the most important factor.

12 Likes

I have the smart 8 in the 4x4. It’s quite a bit of light for in there as I think it’s designed for a 5x5.
The light is all the way at the top dimmed to the lowest setting so my thinking was to put the screen in so I could lower it a bit in height.

My DLI/PAR is dead on but I feel like I’m wasting energy with the fixture being so high and might get better penetration if the light doesn’t have to travel as far.

9 Likes

What type of strip light do you recommend for a 5x5 or you are using? I’m cool with DIY.

5 Likes

Saw these self watering fabric pot bases on ac infinity’s site: Self-Watering Fabric Pot Base, 4-Pack - AC Infinity

10 Likes

The Smart 8 looks like a pretty decent light. I haven’t seen independent testing of it, but it claims a lot of output. Probably enough for a 5x5, yep, but dimmable to use in a 4x4.

What are you using to measure DLI and PAR? Because if you’re running that Smart 8 at the lowest 40% dimmer setting (~300w), it should be as close to your canopy as possible. 300w is good for veg, but it ain’t much light in a 4x4 for flowering. If you have a way to measure power draw, I would confirm that it’s actually dimming properly, cuz 100% is claimed to be ~760w. Even at 80% (~600w), it shouldn’t be too much light for flowering a 4x4 at 18" above the canopy unless your plants are unhappy. No reason to have to use those diffusion silks!

The DIY build depends on your budget. I’m using these DIY lights in a 4x4, dimmed to between 550-600w in flowering depending on plant health:

and I would still recommend them for a 5x5 if you run them at the full 720w. Although you can build with 1x1x1/8" angle aluminum for cheaper than my slab construction.

The Bridgelux 2700k strips used in that build have a lot of far red and very little blue, so they’re damn near perfect for both veg and flower since we now know that far red makes plants grow faster. Also, higher PAR can be used to keep plants short even when there’s very little blue in the spectrum.

If those strips are not your thing, there are some newer high output Bridgelux strips that reduce the build costs cuz you use fewer strips, but require hanging a little higher. Happy to discuss if you want to PM me about it when the time comes. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

You got it bud! Thanks again! I’m going to stick with what Ive got for a while, but the wheels are in motion.

6 Likes

Good Morning and happy Friday! So I guess I haven’t really updated properly in a bit so here it goes. Here are the Sunshine 4’s:

I’m curious how much longer y’all would let them veg for? I’m thinking about initiating flip this weekend to give everyone ample time to finish up and time to dry/trim/jar before vacation in August. Thoughts?

Also, here is the sole SSDD F2 bx1 from @HolyAngel graciously donated by @BeagleZ she is settling in nicely and will be getting topped or bent today to give them some recovery time before flip. What y’all think? Topped or bent? Thinking maybe topping and use it to clone. Thoughts?

Everyone will be getting an Aloe/Kelp foliar schvitz today at lights out

22 Likes

Personally, I’d top. And use the top as a clone.

If I was planning on bending her over tenor (11)|nullxnull
then I would have planted her closer to one side of the EB.

But das jus me!!

10 Likes

Yeah screens look pretty close to where they need to be, likely be good to flip this weekend like you’re thinking.

And I’d definitely top the BX1. It’ll get those side branches to shoot up and she should bush out a bit for ya. Can clearly see the mom’s leaf crinkle and overall leaf shape in that one :wink:

11 Likes

Vote number 3 for toppin. Keep a clone for sure.
I would also feel good about flipping this weekend if it were me.
Looking good brother!

5 Likes

Thanks man! And feeling good!

7 Likes

That’s good business! Thanks man!

4 Likes

I use the photone app. I managed to borrow an apage from my grow shop and calibrated it to that within a few points so I’m pretty confident with it.
I did increase my power last night to 60% as I checked and the DLI was a bit low now that I’m out of seedling stage.

8 Likes

Roger that!

That’s very good intel! Thank you buddy!

8 Likes

Agree with the other guys flip and top.

How you finding the air stones?

What difference do you think they are making?

5 Likes

There are so many new variables that I’ve introduced that it’s hard to tell. I think a true comparison would be to take clones and run one with airstones and one without. This is from 9 days ago:

This was taken yesterday:

Here is the SSDD after topping:

21 Likes

That would be the best way, will you have the time and space to do the comparision at some stage?

5 Likes

Maybe next round. We shall see….

4 Likes

Happy Memorial Day,
Quick update before I hit the pool with the boy for the first time this summer.
Everything is flipped to 11/13
Sunshine 4 #7 x Sunshine 4 #8 3rd topdress and flipped Saturday 5/28

SSDD F2 bx1 3rd topdress and flipped to 11/13 last night 5/29. Looking a bit jostled after topdressing.

Everyone got a 1/2 gallon top water of a Mung bean SST and Fulpower last night.

20 Likes