CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

Just saw an updated post by Grassburner over at RIU and he runs air stones check it out pretty amazing what one week did in 3gal sips

6 Likes

I’ll let Crunch elaborate, but I will say it is delightful. All day it’s been delightful :wink:

8 Likes

@syzygy No worries. My wife and I like SQ! It has an instant mellowing, full body high. Functional daytime weed, but can put you nite-nite if you over indulge. The flavor is more on the sour side I’d say. I gave some to @BeagleZ and his reply was “great river day weed!” I still have like like 10 seeds and will definitely revisit.

11 Likes
8 Likes

In case anyone was wondering we get the streptomyces from the beet juice in Grokashi

10 Likes

Great explanation of probiotic farming, the symbiotic relationship the mycelium has with LAB, why sips, and so much more.
https://gro-kashi.com/?page_id=16

9 Likes

I checked out the post you mentioned. Love those little 6 gallon sips he is running! I plan to do something similar in the future after some runs with the big boyz! Thanks for the heads up!

6 Likes

Yeah they look great I was trying to find something similar where I am but had no luck so far, will keep trying cause surely those things are hiding somewhere here I just haven’t come across them.

Those SIP’s would be great for seed runs for soil growers without much space. Soil capacity is 3gal from memory the buckets had 10L markings on them. and the res buckets were15L from the markings.

The big boyz can be used for keeper runs,maybe just thinking out loud.

:peace_symbol:

6 Likes

@CrunchBerries I was running EB’s and 18 gal sips when I 1st got into sips. It was difficult to move an 18 gal sip by myself so I built a 12 gal SIP. Needless to say I am now running 7.5, 10, 12 and 18 gal Sips along with my EB’s.

I can tell you from experience the 7.5 gal can turn out some big plants. I was sure surprised…
The 7.5’s are easily movable by one person. The 7.5’s hold just over 2 gal of H2O So I have about 4 gal or so of soil in them

As @invisible mentioned above The 7.5’s are great for seed runs due to size.
Below you can see the 7.5 on the left and the 12 gal on the right.

Ya, The plants are not perfect in the pic but they sure are looking better now.
I have been very busy with way to many plants for one person for a spell now…

15 Likes

i was thinking of doing a seed preservation in two 27 gallons tubs with 15 or so plants in each tub. might be a little crowded, but i think it would work.

9 Likes

They look great!

Yeah I used to have one big 10 or 11 gal soil cap and about 5gal water cap SIP was way to hard to move around. I was also using lava rick in there for aeration which didn’t help with the weight either.

I’m changing up the soil mix this round which will be using rice hulls for aeration so will be significantly lighter and have built two smaller sips 5 gal soil 3.5 gal water. they are nested tubs. will try a single tub next time like the one @CrunchBerries has with pipe in the bottom and vermiculite

6 Likes

Those are amazing.I need to get into 3 d printing.

7 Likes

He posted a link to these: Choice 22 Qt. White Square Polypropylene Food Storage Container with Blue Gradations

Maybe you could find these at a restaurant supply store locally?

5 Likes

I saw the link unfortunately I’m nowhere near that part of the world.

Been looking and they aren’t coming up in the ones I’ve looked at so far. I have a friend in the industry I’ll take a pic and see if he knows where I can get them from.

That shape would allow 4 for a smaller harvest but with more variety and that would be just fine for my purposes :slight_smile: :+1:

I’ll keep treasure hunting

:peace_symbol:

5 Likes

I wanted to, had the printer in my cart. But reading about the treaking needed, it is more than I want to deal with. I need plug and go at this point I my life.

I was going to make seed containers as a tribute to the growers of the Goji OG preservation project.

:green_heart: :seedling:

9 Likes

I love the way you think!
Would love to hear how it turns out.

I just picked me up one of those 27 gal totes as Sams for $11.
I am going to build it for my Dad’s garden.
I figured after this season my Dad will be converting his garden to mostly SIP’s.
At least this is what usually happen when people run a SIP for the 1st time… :wink:

7 Likes

Ha! Right! Once I filled the res on the 27 gals they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. I plan to no till these and see how far I can get before dumping and starting from scratch. At that point I’ll reevaluate. Some smaller more manageable planters would be perfect . Variety is the spice of life!

That’s it right there! Once they get comfortable they correct any issues and it’s on!

Keep us updated on whatever projects you are working on.

7 Likes

Keep us updated bud. Would love to hear about your experience.

8 Likes

These planters are as plug and go as I’ve found… and they grow killer herb.

6 Likes

“I think I’m going to no till the new SIPs” CrunchBerries

The day they were completed

8 Likes