CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

2 posts were split to a new topic: What is the problem with these

Absolutely, when I don’t differentiate effects it’s usually because to me the differences are too subtle for me to comfortably try to isolate their differences, especially when spaced out over time. After that the main differences that I notice are the more superficial traits like morphology and terpenes. There were either 5 or 6 females total throughout the years (didn’t pop the entire pack at once with SSDD, and the pack was from 2015 GLG stock). Calm, sedating, mellow , relaxing, and tranquility all words that come to mind for describing the SSDD. The leafier pheno probably slightly more intoxicating, and the Bubbashine leaning pheno a bit more on the dreamy side if I were pressed to contrast them. I’m going off of memory from 2016-2017 or so and there are so many variables that go into play. As far as medicinal pain killing effects that certain SSDD phenos are known for I’ve yet to get any pain relief from cannabis so I can’t speak to that.

15 Likes

Running seeds is what has kept me out of SIPs this year. However, I’m thinking about a community rez for 8gal square pots. I can fit 33 in my setup now. I’m thinking about a pond liner bed that will be about 2-3’’ deep and then covering the square pots much like a SIP. I’m not saying that it will work, but I have a good feeling about it. I’m trying to run like 3-5 seed packs at a time and I want to have this set-up when I plant my SSDD packs. I recently ran 3x packs of SunRa and 3x Granola Funk along with some Crockett’s FF stuff. I’m about to do a 2nd run with Granola Funk and see if I can narrow it down again. I ran SunRa 2x and I’m pretty happy that I did because I’m more confident in my selections. I’m hurting to run SoulMate(probably Old Soul too) and I had a Magenta HP that I ran last year, but I lost it around the time the delta variant of Covid was going around. I couldn’t smell anything at the time, but Magenta really had a pink-red hue that yielded well and was frosty AF. I said that it didn’t have any smell, but I also noticed that my cologne didnt smell and I stopped wearing it too at the time. Soul Mate is a freebie right now and it’s tempting to buy MHP and get SM as a free pack…

7 Likes

I still have around 6 1/2 packs of SSDD. I planted 1 pack like 3-4yrs ago and I had 8 males from one pack. 11of12 germinated, so I was left 1 runt female and the other 2 really wasn’t impressive(such a small selection tho). I’m hoping that one of these packs that I’m holding onto has 8fem in a pack lol… I’ve been so busy lately though that I knew that I wouldn’t have time to do a major seed run that I also wanted to keep males from… Anyways, we are almost done with construction/planting of my greenhouse and I finally have time to think about and do other things lol. I’ve been having to put all of my energy into the greenhouse. Just a husband/wife team and we are doing the whole 9 yards. We are not spending a lot of money, but I’ve had 2,500gal of worm castings in the making since last March and we still didn’t have enough. I starting thinking about doing a SOMA SIP for a bed, but I remembered that Hügelkultur is very similar to SIP because the broken down wood acts like a sponge.

9 Likes

This is interesting because a lot of people wouldn’t give it the time of day unless it had bag appeal. If you had a business selling bud, would you still have the same philosophy? Not trying to be rude, just genuinely curious… Part of the reason that I’m doing KNF in SIPs is because I can ferment fruit and veggie type of stuff. The same pigment that turns bud purple(anthocyanin) is also in blueberries and purple cabbage. I was curious to how much of that can be carried over to the plant? I mean, would a blueberry FFJ(Fermented Fruit Juice) give you a more berry flavor while also enhancing the terpenes? I get free, expired, produce by the trailer full lol. We finally made some OHN(Oriental Herb Nutrient) and it’s basically an alcohol extract of angelica, garlic, cinnamon, ginger, and licorice root. I thought about it for a while and this would have to help with terpenes, right? I haven’t use any yet, but I have gallons of it on hand now. It’s not in the book, but I also thought about alcohol extractions with pine and cedar. Maybe go down the list of terpenes and pick some from different categories like lavender, nightshade, and rosemary too. It seems like it would help with pest prevention too, because terpenes are designed to keep pests away, right? So, a plant with high immune system should be able to produce better terpenes. I wonder if adding these extracts would put some of these strains over the top. I’m looking at Bodhi’s PineSoul crosses…

8 Likes

Preservation runs or crowdsourced projects like seen here are always an option! :

10 Likes

Any of you guys have input on the photo I posted above ?

3 Likes

Is it the top or bottom of the plant, new or old growth? That should be your first step in ID your problem. It will tell you if it is a mobile or immobile nutrient and that should help narrow it down. Not many things cause the necrotic spots, so I would focus on where on the plant that it is, the yellowing(cant tell if yellowing is between the vein), and the necrotic spots… The 2nd pic could be a pest like a leafhopper, it kinda has a pattern to it, but if it is isolated and none of the other plants show it then it might be a pest. It wouldn’t be anything horrible like spider mites, hoppers are usually easy to control… Another thing that some people find contraversial is Ph meter. I use a $75 Kelway(spelling) analog probe. I find that if my Ph gets above 6.5 that my micronutrients start locking out. Other times, my Ph is 5.8 and I know that it’s time to add cal/mag(because I’m always too high in K)… I’m just rattling on, sorry. I haven’t had time to talk on here for a while… https://www.kisorganics.com/blogs/news/a-dichotomous-key-for-understanding-nutrient-deficiencies

I tried posting this earlier but I posted too many times or something…

3 Likes

I’m pretty much caught up on my work, otherwise I wouldn’t be here. Man, I had to do everything from the ground work, to the construction of the greenhouse, to the actual cannabis growing lol. I’ve been running seed packs as I’ve been constructing too. I removed so many stumps(stump PTSD lol). I even hired a professional to come and grind stumps, but the clusters of small trees just didn’t agree with his machine. He could grind the biggest stumps, but it was the small stuff he had trouble with, I’ll take it lol… Anyways, I’ve narrowed down my last couple of seed runs to about 7-9 plants and my nephew gave me 9 of my earthboxes back. I had to use them again because I wanted to get the next round of clones started for my greenhouse… I’m probably looking to start the SSDD seeds this off season because only half of my indoor setup is A/C. I really don’t need to run A/C Nov-May… I’ll probably share clones of the different phenos to get opinions. I’ll take clones of EVERY plant and run the males against each other too and at least omit the weakest 50% of the gene pool… I’ve been saving these seeds for this very moment for about 5-6yrs. I finally got my greenhouse up and I can start thinking about the next step, finding elite genetics. I mean, I found a pretty good SunRa and Crockett’s Banana Pie, but I feel that there is better out there. I’m not that exp with SSDD, I’ve saved all of my packs. I thought about running some SSDD crosses in the mean time just to settle my curiosity. I’m probably going to do a pollination run and just save the seeds. I don’t think that I’m in this to be a seed breeder. However, people like TGA Subcool got started because he had some old packs of Brother’s Grimm. I’m sure that others got started that way too. I’ll def share with a select few from here, but some people I would rather not… I kept up with the Goji seed run, but I cringe to think that some genetics got lost to poor germination rates etc. What I thought about doing was just popping 1 pack at a time, so that way if catastrophe hits, it will only be one pack. I’m exp enough to elmininate a lot of mistakes, but they still happen to the best of us and I like to leave room for error in my plans… Thinking of it this way, I probably don’t have to wait until Nov to plant 1 pack, right… I’m getting antsy thinking about it. I would be 100% fine sharing everything from the first pack that I pop… I was thinking that I would do all of the packs at once, but I could def spread them out over time. Being F1, I expect that each plant will be slightly different and probably won’t find identical plants. Am I on the right track here? Maybe I’ll start with the extra 1/2 pack too and do 1 1/2 packs to start… I’ll be making some plan(t)s

11 Likes

@anon74731205 I moved your post to Sick plants to see if you can get help.

:green_heart: :seedling:

6 Likes

Old growth(bottom) shows that it is a mobile nutrient and new growth(top) is immobile nutrients. Make sure that the bottom plant is not pest damage, but it does look like you have dark veins on the bottom plant? In my exp, I usually run into Mn problems along with iron and zinc mostly. I also misdiagnosed Ca(also has yellowing/necrotic spots) with Mn. I’m talking about manganese and not magnesium. There are not many people talking about micronutrient def, but I think that it should be talked about more in organics. A Ph above 6.5 will cause Mn and Fe issues, so I check my Ph first(because it’s the first thing that you do when looking at a soil test)… Ok, it looks like your bottom plant probably just needs Mg, I get purple streaks all the time with Mg def and it is a mobile nutrient. The top could be Ca, but it’s hard because Mn and Ca look a lot alike. Do you use rock dust or a heavy K input? If you are having Mn and Ca issues, it’s possible that you just hit it too hard with K during veg, my soil is like that. I have trouble during veg, but they take off during flower(vice versa). Gypsum and epsom salt if you have hit it hard with K recently, but don’t do this heavy in flower. I’m assuming that you are still in veg??? Have you heard of a product called TM7? I would try that out too, but use it sparingly. Use small amounts and if you get a good response from the plant in like 24hrs, you are probably going the right direction. However, if you didn’t help, you didn’t step off into the deep end by over-amending with the wrong thing. I would like to see your Ph because it’s usually down below 6 with calcium/magnesium problems…

I just looked and I bought mine in 2018. The green film that comes with it is VERY important, I didn’t understand that at first, but it really helps. The green film is a cleaner…

4 Likes

I just talked to my wife about running 1 pack of SSDD instead of all of them at once and she liked the idea, said that it would probably be more manageable. I have like 3 packs of Granola Funk and some Terpenado and Dazzleberry that I need to sort through first, it would be a LOT sooner. I’m actually excited about this. I might do this in a couple of weeks. The Granola funk has already been sexed and just needs to be flowered. So, it will be soon. I’m F’ing excited now. I’ve just been putting this off on the back burner until my greenhouse was built, and I’m there now. Exciting…

9 Likes

You’re definitely seeing the Starlite grandfather coming through in the flower structure of that ssdd bx. Specifically the A5Haze is causing that airy structure. That’s why it seems like a different direction @nube :wink:

The mom in this SSDD BX1 is that lanky OG looking pheno with a sour rubbery butter and blueberry muffin smell/taste. @schmarmpit is growing her out right now. I hit her with Starlite(A5Haze S1 x NL5) and then backcrossed to the mom with a buttery blueberry muffin boy. This specific pheno looks and sounds very much like the one I grew out in the seedrun thread. Should be some fantastic daytime pain meds when she finishes up ^^

14 Likes

I don’t sell so that’s not my perspective when I asked the question. But if people want to monetize weed, then I guess they gotta go with what sells. Or, maybe actually put in the effort to sell. It’s easy when the product sells itself; this is why there’s so much fuckery with names. However, many dispos used to be about differentiating themselves from the competition - how do you stand out. Product education is one way. Budtenders would ask questions and then make a recommendation. Now it’s just the name and thc %, maybe the frost level as an afterthought.

It’s always seemed weird to me that everyone is taught don’t judge a book by its cover. From as soon as we can stand up, we hear this all the time. Despite that important lesson, most everyone judges everything by its external appearance - what color is your skin, what is the shape of your body, what name is on the map where you come from, what clothes do you wear, do you shave your legs/armpits/crotch, do you have wrinkles, etc. It’s so stupid because none of it matters at all.

The same goes for weed. How often do you hear people declaring they know which plant is a keeper based on its looks and smell at 6wks of flower?

To your other question, I’m not a biologist, but I don’t think the ferments will change the flavor of your weed to any large degree. It may have some impact, mostly due to the lacto bacteria, but it’s not going to be the flavor translation you’re hoping for. Adding blueberry won’t make your weed substantially more fruity, and adding herbs & spices won’t make your weed more spice cabinety. I think the best you can hope for is that it may help your plants to be more healthy, since the plant’s specific genes and how healthy it is are the primary factors in cannabinoid and terp production.

Terroir (the plant’s environment) will have some minor impacts on the flavor, but due to how the plants make those flavors and smells, you’re not going to be able to take a bland haze and turn it into DJ Short’s blueberry by adding ferments. Personally, I think ferments are mostly snake oil when used in cannabis because they’re not employed in the holistic KNF way. I’m no master gardener, but TBH, I haven’t seen many KNF growers who have super healthy plants. I think it’s better to simplify your technique and focus on getting consistently healthy plants before adding any extras, but each to his own!

:sunrise_over_mountains: :peace_symbol:

20 Likes

Yup, like @nube said, your not going to get any flavor profile change from any input. you are just after the hormones, minerals, vitamins etc.
I have been using blueberries for FFJ recently as well and im loving it. Its a super food so it is providing all kinds of goodies for the plants.

14 Likes

I remember when people on the forums actually used that hydro store “flavor enhancer” called Sweet way back haha. Agree with your take on it 100% being snake oil, which is pretty much the norm for everything in the Cannabis marketplace. Also feeding plants anthocyanins are not going to cause the plant to synthesize them. Genetics and their triggers for production are going to be the main path for coloration. Some plants develop colorful flowers as they enter senescence no matter what, others require light (Strong blue / UV?) and only purple up where exposed to light , and some require cold temperatures.

KNF farmers skillfully make use of and preserve the resources they have available but in my mind I have quite a few issues that prevent me from adopting that style. The main hangup that I see is that it’s not much different from feeding water-soluble synthetic nutrients. Even if they are made water soluble via microbes, you’re bypassing the root exudate - rhizosphere relationships. Doing a little of this is not going to be an issue but as a primary source of nutrient delivery I feel it’s not as optimal and puts too much emphasis on the human gardener. The second glaring issue that rules it out for me is the time, energy and space requirements.

Every time I interact with the cannabis marketplace (whether it’s seeds, dispensary, CBD, etc) it always makes me feel like I’m participating in the Beanie Baby craze of the 90s…

15 Likes

So to be fully fucking transparent, warts and all! I was defoliating the other night and I came upon this on the SS4 B in a smallish pocket.

FUCK! I thought I was rid of them for good! I haven’t seen any sign of them in 2 3/4 grows then bam!
I’m at @61f and B is done anyway, but I was waiting till everything finished up. SS4 A is rounding third and shows no signs of pest damage. I’ll probably chop at @63f-ish.

Y’all thinking I need to ditch the soil? I know what the answer is, but just don’t want to ditch all this soil. Shit! Im thinking of tearing out the carpet in my room!

20 Likes

I would also like to say I’m not big into ferments as in the FPE’s that are being pushed heavy right now. I see it as laundry detergent. I have water, you have water, why are they trying to sell us water?

I’m big supporter and user of FPJ and FFJ along with the rest of the regime.
It is a system and the inputs work together as a whole not just a ferment application.

10 Likes

Sorry man!! Sucks. You know where I’m at though, time to get rid of the carpet :confused:

Not sure about tossing the soil… run it thru your worms maybe instead of tossing it?

12 Likes

Is that why you were driving around with a five-pound bag of blueberries the other day? Saw you mention that somewhere and was like,”That’s a lot of blueberries…” haha. I mean, I love blueberries; when I’m not drinking, I throw a couple handfuls in with my oatmeal every morning, but it’d take me a whiiiiiile to get through five pounds haha…

9 Likes