CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

na, didnt think it would be the same @nube , just noticing the reaction that is different than my normal LAB experience. Not planning on using it on my pot plants, thats for damn sure :wink: prob throw it on my compost pile though

7 Likes

If your into it I’d say try to make it, or if your not and you have the scratch I’d say go for it! Whatever works for you works, let us know what you think for sure either way @anon74731205

6 Likes

Why don’t you think it would work in the rez?

5 Likes

Synchronicity? :eyes::mage:‍♂ :joy:

Found what I was looking for:

6 Likes

Because it’s basically protein and minerals combined with lots of microbes - a bunch of stuff to sour the rez. I’m not a fan of putting anything down the rez other than straight water and maaaayyybeeee activated LABs, and I don’t even do that. Yet coincidentally, I am brewing up a new batch of LABs right now! :wink:

I think the yah-whey product is probably fine to use, but like most of the shit being marketed to you, it’s really not necessary or worthwhile until you have your growing technique down and a lot of experience under your belt. And probably not even worthwhile then! Don’t fall for the marketing FOMO.

New growers (or stubborn ones) often make the mistake of thinking that they need something extra to take their grow to the next level, whether it’s new soil amendments, exotic microbes, specialty foliar sprays, super boutique lights. If your grows have turned out subpar or screwed up, you don’t need any of that exotic stuff. Focus on the basics.

You’re much better off putting your time and money into perfecting your ability to grow plants without any extras. Set yourself up for success - wait until you can pull of germ, veg, watering, IPM, flower, harvest, cure, reamend, and recycling without any hitches a few times before adding complexity. Don’t go out and buy a bunch of exotic ingredients - focus on a basic recipe and perfect that before moving on.

Once you can reliably grow and harvest great plants round after round, then if you get FOMO because of some IG or YT sales pitch, try slowly adding new stuff one piece at a time to see if it makes any measurable difference. Chances are it really won’t. The biggest gain you will see, all other things being equal, is just practice.

And, I’ve noticed this in my own grows - sometimes you’ll think you’re doing great, but then make one small change, such as me moving to SIPs from hand watered cloth pots, and you’ll see how terrible or sub-optimal your old technique really was. That’s a very humbling experience, but it’s also a great learning opportunity!

:deciduous_tree: :sun_with_face:

22 Likes

6wi2xl

13 Likes

For those of you in Australia. Found this manufactured option:
https://www.greensmartpots.com.

6 Likes

I’m liking that exterior clear fill tube.

6 Likes

Blue dream coming down soon. She got too big and is running out of gas

12 Likes

I posted this in the bodhi thread so I apologize for the repost , but I’m really getting the hang of the SIP’s . I learned last go around now to get them too large before you flip. I’m running a drip in 15 gal pots to see the comparison, however the city pickers are quickly becoming a favored option going forward!

12 Likes

Once you go SIPs, it’s hard to go back

8 Likes

Air guitar is going strong! I am using a drip line system in 15 gal pots in another tent.Although larger pots are easier for sheer soil volume, it is making me wonder if a larger DIY sip for more soil volume is key. If not, city pickers hold a tad more. @CrunchBerries I see in your posts you may be using the larger DIY SIP’s. Is my assumption correct in those are the way?

9 Likes

I think it all comes down to how much space you have. I wouldn’t run one 30 gal sip in a 3x3 tent, as I want some diversity so I always ran two EBs. This round I am going to run some diy 10 gals (hopefully real fucking soon, as I’m still waiting on plants to sex). I think the key to smaller sips is to keep the plant small, flip early as soon as you see signs of growth after transplant and top dress 3-4ish times. Once at set up, once at transplant, another at flip, and probably another after stretch.

I think the biggest advice I can give you is to read this thread, and any other SIP, ROLS or Organic threads you can get your hands on and just try to copy someones method. There are tons of links at the top of this thread to other resources. No body has the “right” way to do this shit. I copied my method from Greenthumb### initially, and he copied his method from others. Experiment! Once I got more comfortable and got the basics down, I started experimenting. Use EM, don’t use it, try an airstone, try it without, go crazy with KNF, go super simplistic, topwater, don’t topwater etc…

Ohh, one other piece of advice is to keep a journal, document, and learn from your mistakes and triumphs. Hope this helps! SIP ON!

17 Likes

Yeah solid points. Thanks Crunch. You brought up something I was curious about. Did the air stones makes any difference in the reservoir? I saw this on Reddit the other day and had never heard of it.

5 Likes

Haven’t done a true side by side with the same genetics… yet.

10 Likes

Jeremy from BAS just mentioned something about the air stones in the res the other day. He was speaking to the autopots I think but it seems applicable for all SIPs, but he essentially said if you start a plant off with the stones it can come to rely on them so that if there’s an issue and they end up going out mid run it can cause problems, makes sense to me for sure in the KISS method of thinking. He did also say to try it out and experiment and shit, but just a point I thought was worth noting regarding extras overall

11 Likes

Seems to me that at some point, it’s basically becoming “hydroponics” all over again, with the air stones and the constant adding of KNF shit and fermented extracts and topdresses and whatever all else. The whole reason I grow organic (besides just better-quality flowers) is that I don’t really have to do anything at all, unless I feel like it. Like sometimes I’ll think,”Oh! I should water with some coconut!” or whatever, but for the most part…

Good soil, clean water, bam, done. I’ve been having trouble with the “good soil” part lately haha, but y’all know what I mean…

17 Likes

I kind of agree… it’s as far as you want to take it.

You can get by with just simple mix and water. I’m not doing much besides that. Good mix, throw some organic amendments in there, and water in the res. Boom, done! Nice part about SIPs really, is the part where you can literally do nothing for like four days, besides watch them grow. And it’s easy to tell someone if you’re away, “hey dump a gallon of water in this tube”, and that’s it!

I like to see people experiment though… you never know when something like simple is gonna make a huge difference. Maybe the air stones will increase yield 15%, and if you can document that and prove it, more power to you.

I’m mostly with you though… KISS

12 Likes

This is the reason I’m about to switch the flower tent over myself, seems easier to have a life With the SIPs, Heime Cheeba said so himself in his potcast interview that’s why he used em :grin::v:t2::heart:

16 Likes

That’s why I went with them when i expanded and got another tent. If I was gonna add a flower space twice the size of my last one, then I wanted something easier, and less overwhelming for friends coming to water when I’m out of town.

12 Likes