CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

That’s a ripping setup! A bed and two EBs! What size tent is that in? 5x5?

5 Likes

Some SIP experts up in here. Learned a lot about soil at the beginning too. Please forgive my simple mind, but as fascinating as these are, they always inspire the same question in me: “how is this different than bottom watering?”

When I’m in a rush I often water my soil plants by plopping them in a large kitchen-mixing bowl full of water. Once you play with the levels of how high the water should go up, you can just maintain that low level (about 1/8 of pot’s height), like a passive wick res, similar to this. Doesn’t require specialized equipment, and leaves the possibility to up-pot more easily

2 Likes

This’ll be the first time. I’m excited to watch the tent fill up I’m actually in a 4x4!!

3 Likes

This is more like a fresh water reservoir in the bottom that is clean water only. The plant isn’t forced to drink water that’s been loaded with nutes

4 Likes

Why did you use Oats ? I’ve used rice water a few times making labs.

3 Likes

You can do plain water for bottom watering soil also, if your soil is amended for that

1 Like

But whatever nutrients are in your soil, your plant HAS to uptake. With SIPs, when its roots are dangling down into the clean water it can drink without getting nutrients. So you can kinda overload the soil with nutrients and it can pick and choose what it wants but still has access to the clean water.

11 Likes

Absolutely wonderful explanation @imstinky :point_up_2::raised_hands::facepunch:

5 Likes

Unless your water itself is loaded with nutrients of course.

2 Likes

How much you been smokin’ :sweat_smile: That’s step number one man!

Reason I used oats…

You’d have to have a big ass bowl for the pot size we’re talking here.

I think the best part is the set it and forget it aspect. The roots can grow into the res and drink when they want to. If you’re moving pots around, the roots wouldn’t really have the chance to do that. No up potting needed either, I put tiny clones in mine and they fill the space quickly. Also, you start getting different microenvironments in each zone, different microorganisms, etc…

13 Likes

Mixing bowls do get massive. I happened to have some big ones lying around, only around 5 gallon I think, and they can hold a pretty massive pot. A cheaper substitute would just be those plastic rectangular storage bins. I find it an easy passive watering for both cloth or plastic pots.

I suppose at the end of the day it’s a style thing. Certain strains I’ve worked make extremely inefficient use of dirt if you put them in a big pot right off the bat, so I prefer to up-pot, which also allows me to check roots. If you use the big rectangular storage bins, you could be watering once or twice a week, which to me, is the least I’d be checking anyway

5 Likes

Lmao :rofl: I’m fukd

11 Likes

hi i was high and since i cant do nothing much i try to find something to do within my abilities allow me
so i had a cut all rooted in my cloner and decided this was the time to test this out
ive seen lots of diy and readed alot on GC about sips and i tried a grow bed and aquavalve in the past with success but i want something different easier on maintenance and the sip bucket or totes are atractive to me
so i decided i was gonna try and diy one with what i had avaible
inside pot is a 3gal i drilled few small holes on the bottom and one in the middle to fit a 2"net cup

334778009_6073298306068713_2251349845961891486_n

7 Likes

I like the idea of being able to pull the top pot out and see the roots pouring out.
Will be watching for that pic :wink:

Some questions:

• How much H²O are you able to put in the lower Bucket before overflow?
  • How much of an air gap between the bottom of the inside pot and the overflow hole?
  • What is the Soil you are using? Living soil or strait up soil mix only?

I saw that @Mobilly just made a DIY sip and was thinking about the container within a container set up like he had made.

Very promising stuff going on at the OG! :call_me_hand:
[/quote]
i havent calculated the real amount of water but i have 3"of water id say and 1" between water level and bottom pot
and for soil i use recipee from organic subforum on GC where i was hanging out before i joined here

4 Likes

Glad to see you made it in here…

Excited to see how this DIY SIP works for ya!

3 Likes

Nice! That’s almost exactly what I was (poorly) describing in a previous post.

1 Like

this picture is a basic map but if you understand the mechanics of the principle you can modify and extend its application

10 Likes

It’s a great little DIY set up.

The net pot in the bottom is the wick and the distance between the bottom of the top pot and the drain hole is the air chamber…

Very simple but effective set up… and you can look into the bucket to see your water level.
The only concern I would have is if the openness of the Res will attract pests… IDK…

How a Sub-Irrigated Planter Work

4 Likes

yess i should of documented when i had my 4x4 flood table filled with perlite i had an aquavalve in the middle operating in an ebb n flow manner
perlite would wike water i had nursery 1gal bags stand on perlite
bags had small drain holes on bottom but was suficient for wicking to happen from soil to perlite
i would put clones straight in flower and just kerp my reservoire filled

7 Likes

What do you all think about my idea for a larger reservoir feeding several sip bucket systems? I started thinking about the physics in play with a bottled water cooler setup.

10 Likes