CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

Got it. I didn’t realize the freebie thing.

4 Likes

So what you end up with could be used as labs maybe, or hooch(much more likely) with some tartness. Taking a simple sugar source and putting in open air like that is also exactly how beer/wine/hooch was made before we were culturing yeast. Yeast moves fast, as fast or faster than lacto at most room temps. Even if you end up lacto dominant, the alcohol content would likely be higher than you are looking for, and it will be more of a mixed culture. This also means the PH may not be as low as you would like. It may still work fine in your applications, it may not.

It’s a real roll of the dice. I wouldn’t do that, or recommend it, if LABS is what you are after.

And airlock is around $4, and you could use it indefinitely and will keep things from getting in. You can get them for buckets, carrots, jugs, mason jars, all kinds of containers. And if you are fermenting things they are really useful.

If you really want to do it how you outlined, at a bare minimum I would say use a known culture to inoculate and use foil as a lid. Gas can escape but it’s much harder for all the airborne micros to find their way in. Use a good healthy known labs culture to start though, and make sure all of you stuff gets cleaned and sanitized otherwise you aren’t giving the lactobacilli a chance.

By skipping the part of the process that helps select for the lacto, you think you are simplifying things, but I think you will find it’s just as likely to make it more complicated, because if you are trying to grow them in an environment that is hospitable to all kinds of micros, you need to have very clean tools and containers, and have you cultures and inputs be clean to get good results repeatedly.

I understand why you have the idea of wanting to skip milk, but please understand that that is a key part in the process. There are work arounds, but to proceed as is with out doing anything, honestly I think that a waste of your time. But hey, it’s your time and your life, go for it if you want. I’m just trying to give you the information and tools to get you what your after.

If it was me, I’d either use a strong fresh labs source, sanitize everything (ingredients included) and do it with a lid, or use a lactose source to select for labs

6 Likes

Roger that.

I’ll just go with the milk version like I have already done and put up with the smell :slight_smile:

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge and taking the time to reply :+1:

:peace_symbol:

3 Likes

I got floaty bits in my LABS and it has a type of skin on the surface been in the fridge since I made it.

Noticed that it may have whey settled on the bottom too and maybe floating around the solution…

Strange cause I used a very fine nut milk bag to strain with.

Is it still good or should I just make another one or just strain it again?

2 Likes

Good morning SIP’ers,
Here are a couple photos of Strawberry Temple @70f right before they got the axe.

30 Likes

Posted this in the Bodhi thread.

Sunshine 4 #7 x Sunshine 4#8 are chugging along. They are starting to show sex and I’m pretty sure I have 2 females and a male so far. Im going to top all plants soon.
I’m drying the ST in my 3x3, so once that wraps up I’ll be able to move Sunshine 4s to the veg tent and get to planting in the new setup. I’ll document my setup shortly, before planting.

6 Likes

Your going to hate this question, but what’s the smell like? Also, how old is the serum?

4 Likes

Nuggin out hard over there indeed

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Smells like sour/off milk and the LABS is only 7 days old

4 Likes

Got a pic of the floaters? Sounds like it might be fine.
Is it in the fridge? Sorry if you mentioned this already.

3 Likes

Thanks man! Super happy with this run! I kinda wish I had kept a cut, but I know somebody who does… @BeagleZ

3 Likes

Those like mighty fine, mighty fine!!
We’re about to be knee deep in strawberries :strawberry::slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think lemon wookie should be on your list soon Crunch… I’m liking the sound of strawberry lemonade :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I have learned my lesson losing a few plants. I will just clone every damn plant, I can always throw them away heh. I had 3-4 DosiDos clones, but when that plant hermed out on the top buds, I threw the plant in the freezer and killed all the clones.

I do not want to lose any gems again!

3 Likes

You mean throw them in the worm bin :wink: :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, I should be able to throw stuff into a worm bin here in the future heh. Need us some worms in our life.

2 Likes

It would be just like a Snapple

4 Likes

We could name it in honor of the Snapple master… may he RIP :pray:

3 Likes

Ok, so if you zoom in on the first pic you'll see what I'm talking about the layer, then second pic is crud on the glass I would say that was on the top and my moving the jar around made it stick to the sides??

Bottom pic you can see the sediment of whey milk curds whatever it is :laughing:

7 Likes

Snapple master! That’s hilarious! He had a Snapple bottle from every dead show we went to with a little keep sake from the night inside. Too funny!

5 Likes