Current Events (NonCannabis)

I think 2,4D has been banned IIRC my thoughts was many years ago !

1 Like

I, also, seem to remember something in recent years of one of the weed control products being banned. Maybe it was the 2,4-D. This may be one of those herbicides that was banned by some states for consumer use but not banned for agricultural or industrial use?

Based on the USGS data, it appear to be increasing in use.

In fact, I may have some 2,4-D + Dicamba somewhere around here.

Despite concerns about potential health risks, in 2014 the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency approved the combined use of 2,4-D and the popular weed killer Roundup (also known as glyphosate, a whole other—and in many ways more worrying—story when it comes to health and the environment). Enlist Duo, as the combo is called, was already legal in several states. It is used mainly on big farms, where it is sprayed on genetically modified crops called Enlist soy and Enlist corn that have been engineered to be resistant to the poisons.

In other words, farmers can now douse their fields with high concentrations of the weed killer without worrying that it will also destroy their crops. Originally, plants genetically engineered to resist Roundup were sprayed with that herbicide alone. But when the weeds it was intended to kill also developed resistance, 2,4-D was added to make the mix more effective. As Pullen puts it, “These chemicals by themselves can be problematic, but when we start combining them with other toxic chemicals, we’re just creating a new problem in order to solve another problem.”

The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that by 2020, the use of 2,4-D on America’s farms could rise between 100 percent and 600 percent now that it has been approved as part of Enlist Duo. According to Pullen, “When you combine increased use with the potential for increased developmental, cancer, and other health impacts, you could create a perfect storm of hazard and exposure coming together.”

Then,
https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-Killer-Control-Broad-Leaf/dp/B0072289CA

3 Likes

…got my Clover seed(deer plot forage) in the mail. looked at the planting instructions (for propriety & shit)… i see “spray glyphosate, add 15-15-15, then sow seed” :unamused: so predictable…

'sgot 'lectralites… –Idiocracy

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

No story, no issue, no fact approaches significance greater than this one: The basic stability of our planet has been upended in our lifetimes. Unless we act quickly, the changes we’ve seen so far will be mild by comparison with what comes next. Science, as I point out in the just-published sequel to that original book, makes clear that without an emergency transition away from coal and gas and oil, we can expect such rapid shifts that our ability to maintain civilizations will be in doubt.

1 Like

Saw this video yesterday.
Interesting, but decidedly creepy.
I have to admit, I found it to be a bit unsettling.
…
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article229060274.html

3 Likes

alligators? weren’t any politicians available for the experiment? :smile:

5 Likes

‘Nazi-america’… terrible bait… nice try with the divide tho…

Hail Victory Badfish! Hail Victory!

If you didnt see this coming…

3 Likes

Try harder kiddo…

1 Like

Must read!

4 Likes

Former Police Chief Says Conviction Requirement For Forfeitures Makes It Too Hard To Take Cash From People

One of the worst defenses of civil asset forfeiture has been penned by retired police chief Robert Stevenson for the Michigan news site, the Bridge. It’s written in response to two things: pending forfeiture reform bills in the state legislature and the Supreme Court’s Timbs decision, which indicated forfeiture may fall on the wrong side of the 8th and 14th Amendments.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Was curious as to the availability of 2,4-d to consumers. Found this at Lowes today:

3 Likes

Probably kills more than weeds I’m guessing!

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

The A.I. companies have taken money from major investors. Fidelity International and Qualcomm Ventures were a part of a consortium that invested $620 million in SenseTime. Sequoia invested in Yitu. Megvii is backed by Sinovation Ventures, the fund of the well-known Chinese tech investor Kai-Fu Lee.

2 Likes