Defoliation vs No(little) defoliation

I’m not an tree fruit guy so I can’t comment too much but the idea that defoliating leads to a loss of quality is not correct.
My research plots were at a farm that also hosted tree fruits, grape and berry vines, and other vegetables. The fruit trees that were defoliated produced just as good of fruit as those not defoliated.

Again, if you don’t want to defoliate, don’t. I dont think you are correct with why you shouldn’t and I tried to post some evidence backing that up. I want that info to help people who haven’t made up their mind yet. You don’t really know me or my background like I don’t know you or your background. Im not trying to change your mind. Im posting science based recommendations for people to gather evidence and make their own conclusions from.

5 Likes

Did someone say trichome elongation

You wonder wtf did that come from?

Well i wondered to, so I found the source lol

A pistil

5 Likes

Yoooo! Great looking pics @Star_Dog !!!

1 Like

If stalk elongation of capitate stalked trichomes is genotype dependant but all capitate stalked trichomes show clear to milky to amber it seems more logical to use color as an indicator.

I’m all for using stalk length and assessing it’s importance but in the context of hobby gardeners I think trichome color is an easier more accurate way to assess ripeness.

2 Likes

Could that be a ruptured gland leaking as a stringy form?

Lol, well that too. I had some dense plants that were getting PM on the lowers not getting any airflow and light because of shitty weather. I had to lolllipop and get rid of the whole bottom third of plants and take off all the huge fans. I was growing around all my butternut squash and the mildew was bad. Was a battle.

3 Likes

It could be idk for sure?

I don’t think so just going on how it looks.

It’s standing proud?

This def seems like an agree to disagree moment, lol!

Nothing wrong with us not sharing the same opinion! We are both here to contribute to the community and make it better and I feel discussions like this that can get people to think about things a little differently are valuable and promote the free exchange of ideas.

Appreciate the interaction and discussion @Sbeanonnamellow !! Looking forward to debating future ideas with you!!

2 Likes

That’s an interesting take. After following @JoeCrowe 's hash making adventures, I am believing it’s the trich head size, and not the length of the stalk. I hope he’ll chime in, I’m just a dumb carpenter :slight_smile:

I’ve also noticed that most anti-leaf pluckers have never done it. For me, indoors in tents, it’s just another tool in the box. May not always need it, but sometimes it’s the right tool for the job.
KS-168_4_2_2

6 Likes

I’m not here for a debate, I enjoy the discussion even if and often when others have differing points of views.

3 Likes

Trichome head size peaks at maturity before deformation. I think gland size, shape, and color are the best indicators with limited means. After peak ripeness it begins to degrade and it’s shape starts to collapse from a sphere.

The most plump spherical shape with opacity from cuticle wall thickening seems most ideal state of ripeness.

2 Likes

@HorseBadorites turns out me and Joe agree! Current research has linked head size and stalk elongation. You can use either!

Both of them are correlated development measures. When the stalks are at their longest you can be confident the gland heads are at or close to their maximum

3 Likes

hah hah OMG I could almost write a book about trichomes. mmmm they are a thing of many splendors! The trichome goes through a cycle of growth and maturity where it gets higher and the cap increases in size. Both of those properties are genetic. When the trichome is riiiiiiipe it kind of slumps over. And the smell, of the plant, right? Ambering happens but it’s not the only thing that you look at.

etc.

4 Likes

Do you think the increased noticably of scent seems likely from deformed glands leaking secondary metabolites as they reach maturity?

Literature would also point to an increase in secretory disk cells in the trichome gland as it progresses from the “young” to “growing” phase further corroborating your assertion.

1 Like

Yah that is based on like a thousand photos I took of the buds going from veg into bloom. What a ride!

1 Like

Full article: Apical bud removal increased seed yield in hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09064710.2019.1568540

A 2 year study from 2019 looking at defoliation/removing suckers, lowers, etc. Increases yield by up to 30% in these samples. Well beyond the “2 grams” previously mentioned. I know you all are beyond this at this point and I haven’t read through everything you’ve been saying, but here ya go! Sidenote: learning a lot here. Appreciate the pictures @JoeCrowe and the experience. And also the willingness to engage from the rest of y’all. :metal:t2:

5 Likes

So this is a great article! I believe some of the effect is attributed to increase number of apical meristems and a more even plant canopy. But there is an upper limit to the yield increase I believe, as in topping will help to a point, but it can’t yield more than genetics and enzyme kinetics allow.

Its a great tool for growers and especially those in limited space environments

2 Likes

Well of course there is an upper limit. I posted because of it’s relevance. There is a real, identifiable benefit to defoliation.

2 Likes

I think the even canopy aspect is paramount to these discussions.

When discussing yield, does that link detail what the yield is composed of? Are they measuring total flowers biomass and weight or is it a calculation of accumulated secondary metabolites?

It’s discussed that the stalks of glandular trichomes are photosynthetically active and that along with floral tissue towards the end of flowering when fan leaves begin to senescence they both provide photosynthetic energy for biological functions like manufacturing secondary metabolites.

If fan leaves are removed there may be a link between floral tissue and/or capitate trichome development as a way to compensate with the remaining resources available to the plant. I still think healthy high brix non defoliated plants will outperform defoliated plants in ideal situations but believe defoliation can be useful in select circumstances. I don’t think it’s an efficient use of energy but it seems plausible that there are relationships between all photosynthetically active tissue and how a plant navigates it’s changing environment.

2 Likes