First indoor attempt.

So over the past 2yrs I’ve grown about 8 plants outdoors in the garden. The’ve been ok. I’m not trying to set any yield records. It’s just 2 of us, I make some caramels for Momma and I, we like to have one while watching TV in the evening :slight_smile:
2 yrs ago I gave a friend a couple of seedlings. In the past 2yrs, he’s gone crazy…mostly indoor, but he’s got his process dialed in pretty well.
He starts his seeds on Jan 1st. Around beginning of April, he does a MAJOR trim, makes about 20 clones, and switches to flower.
This spring he gave me two plants, so all of a sudden, I’m doing an indoor grow. Not totally set up for it yet, but I think we’re doing ok so far.
My 2 gurlz are now on 12/12 bloom schedule/lighting.
His plants are now 6ft tall, but from 5’ down there’s not a single leaf.
He’s had really good results and gets some massive buds, but I’m just not sure that severely trimming like that is necessary?

after first trim:

Anyway, all suggestions welcome :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Btw, forgot to mention, I’m just using Fox Farms nutes, and trying to abide by their feeding schedule.
I have a 2.5 gal watering can, and I mix Tiger Bloom at the specified ratio every other full can. A full can will water both plants twice, so 2 days. They get 2 days of nutes, 2 days of plain water.

Lob

5 Likes

Hey @Lobstah! Welcome to Overgrow!!
Good to see you are setting up a grow log, as there are lots of great folks here to hang out and get advice from.

As a general rule, no.

There is a body of information here in regards to LST & HST (low stress training & high stress training). These techniques help manage the size and shape (bushiness) of the plant. You can keep those 6 ‘footers’ at 3 feet or less with lots of main colas (I go with 8).

Cheers
G

3 Likes

My intent was to go with the SCROG, but time got away from me.
I DO like the indoor grow so far, as you have so much more control over everything.
I have some clones started, but read somewhere that clones aren’t great for SCROG, tho I can’t figure out why not.

1 Like

Yup, been there, done that… :laughing:

There can be a significant difference in structure between the seed plant and the clone. I can see that there might be extra time required for getting clones into shape, also some strains are better suited to SCROG than others.

Cheers
G

Hi lobstah… welcome to OG. Trimming to excess has had some success stories reported. When I tried it I didn’t see so much of a difference that it mattered. I also used to grow with fox farms a long long time ago… in my humble opinion they’re not what they used to be. If that’s the route your headed I would suggest pure blend pro as an alternative. Your plants look plenty healthy!

2 Likes

I read a post on another forum regarding trimming, and a very experienced grower said that most trimming that people do is totally unnecessary, and can in fact be harmful.
He challenged people to grow two plants in close proximity, trim one their way, and leave the other alone. He claimed that at harvest, 9 out of 10 times, the harvest would be the same, or bigger on the untrimmed plant.
His point was that generally, if the plant put it there, it needed it for something.
This was all for outdoor grows.

1 Like

Thanks!
I’m not married to Fox Farms.
Same friend gave me some Aurora nutes, says they’re the best.
I was thinking I’d finish the 2 on Fox, and then when I start dealing with the clones, switch over to Aurora.

2 Likes

Also, my buds don’t seem to be getting as big as I’d expected, but since it’s my first indoor, I have nothing to compare it to.

1 Like

Fan leaves are the solar engine of the plants growth. Trimming and training can and will increase yield. I remove whole lower limbs. I trim some fan leaves here and there. I’ll top once or twice. I do not go crazy with any one thing. Overdoing anything is bad with marijuana growing (IMHO). Keep it simple and you’ll do great.

4 Likes

What’s up Roc Lobstah!

There’s some solid advice above me -pretty much the same thing I would say to yas so I’m just gonna hang out here and see what ya do :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hey man I’m fairly new here too, welcome. I’ve recieved good advice here and am trying new things because of it. As for trimming, I didn’t for a long time, cutting away smaller branches from the bottom and pulling starts off established branches 4-5 nodes from the the tip is what I do. All that inner and lower growth never yields enough to justify the energy the plant uses growing it. Just my experience you’ll find folks here that’ll steer you in the right direction. Outdoors I let them do what they do. Good luck to you.

2 Likes

How long in flowering? Did I missed that?

About 4 weeks.
I’ll snap more pics this afternoon…

Lob

1 Like

This is one of my buddy’s plants, taken 3wks ago:

1 Like

Welcome toOG @Lobstah Nice looking plants!

Welcome to OG @Lobstah. May I ask what light you are using for your indoor grow? The buds seem about average for only four weeks of 12/12. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

@ReikoX Really? Mine are way bigger not even 4 weeks.
Forget that mine are a moth and four days from switch.

I have 2 grow lights hanging, they’re both set to BLOOM, and then I have 4 White LED shop lights standing on end around the plants. So they’re getting red spectrum from above, and white surrounding them, all on 12/12.

Suggestions? Should I kill the whites?

1 Like

@anon27306389, It looks like a narrow leaf variety. I would say they look average.

@Lobstah, no I wouldn’t remove any light. Do you happen to remember what variety your buddy said these clones were?

2 Likes