Different types of plant stress, 1:(LAR), 2:(SAR), 3:(SGS), 4:(ISR), 5:(SWR)

Interesting article @shag .
But I prefer to not stress the plants on purpose. Other thing is mistakes made unconsciously,… that always happen.
Good to know that when the “littles” get well gain some sort of resistance.

Happy Growings!!!

2 Likes

No doubt my friend, no doubt.
I love to learn new things, but seldom do anymore.
Most folks either don’t like to talk about things or don’t like to share for whatever reason.
When I first arrived here at OG, I saw he/JP shared his seed popping tech with everyone.
Some very good info that is, I was very excited to learn of this and I am grateful to @JohnnyPotseed for teaching me a new trick. :sunglasses:
I love new tricks. :wink:

7 Likes

@shag I need to look up his solo cup drill too. Lots of his gear all over OG. If I wasn’t so buried in seeds already, I’d likely have some too.

2 Likes

I don’t enter them contests, cuz. But, I once grew a Frankenstein in a small handful of dirt, to over 4’ in a red solo cup, lol
Just to see what it’d do…
re-potted it into a regular pot when I flipped her to 12/12

I had to post pic with a tape measure held beside it to prove, because some folks just didn’t believe it! lol

5 Likes

No contest stuff. Never been into comparison stuff. I do compare myself to myself. That’s fair. Don’t you add EWC or something like that to germ in?

2 Likes

I use pure WC for germination cuz

4 Likes

Thanks buddy. Still finding my way around OG, besides what or who I follow. My nerd skills are getting better along with my growing skills. I like to think anyways.

3 Likes

I like multitasking. Like watching Buried in the Backyard, drinking coffee, eating something, playing Candycrush, all while reading, then re-reading weed nerds stuff. Articles about silicone, or organic input effects on terpenes. Better mousetraps being built. Mostly cuz I often come across stuff I forgot. I don’t have a good growing autopilot yet. Which is good. Keeps me paying closer attention.

3 Likes

That is one of the least known, greatest, most useful tips ever. :star_struck:
Thanks again!
Shag

2 Likes

@shag I keep thinking about all the articles about all things cannabis you have shared. If you didn’t know, you’d ask. The conversations and long threads generated are great. You saw me show up. Get my 1st tent. I’ll leave the details out, but I had no problem asking for help. It was obvious I could use some. You and many others helped immensely. You in particular did not say “do this” very often. You made suggestions, explaining why. You made me think, which helped me learn a lot. Pretty quickly too. Some folks were just cheerleaders. I needed that now and then too.
Fast forward a couple years. I still have lots of questions. All the time. I can even manage to correctly answer some. I ask for help if needed. I see someone else with a problem they share. I try to start not with any answers, but questions. What soil, water, nutes, ph, etc. While a lot of folks here have the answers, they still need this info to answer correctly. I might allow one of them more time to offer a good solution. By sharing my thoughts on what I did, I get to re-evaluate it.
I have a lot of fun growing, thanks to everyone who shares. Not just growing either.

4 Likes

Thank you buddy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I love to help folks with an open mind, you were so new to growing, your mind was soo open, your head was completely empty…LOL :crazy_face:

I like to see folks learn and become better growers.
I also like to teach folks how to think for themselves.
For example, if I suggest something, it always has a purpose and we should know the reason why we do these things.

Some folks just want you to tell em all your secrets and then run off, never seeing or hearing from them again.
You have stuck around to learn as much as you can, maybe someday you will be handing out the good advice.
You seem to be understanding what you do now and why you do it.
Soon you will be reading your plants like a book.
This is the important part, thinking on the fly, and not just following a script.

2 Likes

So…

Aloe? :sweat_smile:

That’s good to know.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Hey bud.
Seems you really love the Aloe…LOL

Do you have any science to share with us concerning Aloe?
Science papers?
Ways that you use it?
How do you collect it?
What does it do for you exactly?
What is beneficial about the stuff it is made up of?
I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Shag

2 Likes

None of that … just recommended by Jeremy of Build A Soil… supposedly has salicylic acid & beneficial hormones… IIRC Duke Diamond has it in his “tonic” recipe. :man_shrugging:

In veg or pre flower I break a fresh leaf off & crush it by hand in the irrigation water, probably over doing it… like a cup of crushed material to 5 gallons.

Also add a layer of it to my worm bin randomly.

I’ve wanted to try cloning with it but just haven’t gotten around to it.

It’s chemically complex & may even have carcinogenic properties in some of the components :thinking: anthraquinones or sumtin

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

To me this is cutting-edge science and can be used to make your weed more potent.
Who does not want more potent weed?
There does not seem to be a lot of interest in this topic. :roll_eyes:

Some folks are happy to pay big money for bottled nutes that make these claims when if properly educated that could save a ton of money and induce/elicit these effects themselves.

This will increase cannabinoid production by quite a bit.
Some will pick up on this and some will get left behind.

Bottled hydro store nutes are not the way to go… in my opinion anyway.
I really feel folks are missing the boat on this one especially.

But alas… you can lead a grower to knowledge but you can’t make him think. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

And in fact too! :+1:

:evergreen_tree: :salt: :herb:

2 Likes

Here are brief explanations of the different types of plant stress :

1. LAR (Low Active-Rhizosphere) Stress: This type of stress occurs when there is a low level of activity in the soil around the plant’s roots. It can be caused by factors such as poor soil structure, low nutrient availability, and waterlogging.

2. SAR (Systemic Acquired Resistance) Stress: This is a type of stress response in which the plant develops a systemic resistance to pathogens and other stresses after being exposed to them. This response is triggered by the production of signaling molecules and can help the plant better defend itself against future stressors.

3. SGS (Systemic Growth Signal) Stress: This type of stress occurs when the plant is under stress and produces a systemic signal that triggers growth in other parts of the plant. This can help the plant allocate resources to areas that need it most.

4. ISR (Induced Systemic Resistance) Stress: This is a type of stress response in which the plant produces compounds that help it resist pathogens and other stresses. This response is triggered by the presence of beneficial microorganisms in the soil or on the plant’s surface.

5. SWR (Soil Water Repellency) Stress: This type of stress occurs when the soil becomes hydrophobic and repels water, preventing the plant from taking up water and nutrients. This can be caused by factors such as soil compaction, high temperatures, and low organic matter content.

Several environmental stress factors have been shown to dramatically increase cannabinoid production in cannabis plants.

It’s important to note that the effects of these stress factors on cannabinoid production can vary depending on the specific strain of cannabis and the growing conditions.

In addition, while some stress factors may increase cannabinoid production, they can also have negative effects on plant growth and overall yield.

Therefore, it’s important to carefully monitor and manage environmental stresses in order to optimize both cannabinoid production and plant health.

2 Likes

@JoeCrowe
You may find this interesting.

This paper reinforces what you keep telling us.
You can increase cannabinoid production but trichome density seems to be unaffected.
Like it is determined genetically… :wink:

Exogenous_application_of_stress_related.pdf (1.2 MB)

2 Likes

Dunno where to put this, so here is a good place.

I think this is saying that cannabis can produce a poision.

Glandular trichomes, which secrete lipophilic substances,can serve in chemical protection against herbivores and pathogens by deterring or poisoning them. Moreover, trichomes can be both production and storage sites of phytotoxic materials(Werker, 2000). In

H. perforatum

plants the phototoxin hypericin accumulats in secretory glands on leaves and flowers (Fields et al.,1990;Zobayedetal.,2006).I

@Cormoran what is your take on this?
When you get the time of course. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SDL4KkpipT0eBPjM_-vY7-WEvnFTlg-3/view?usp=drive_link

2 Likes

I wasn’t able to follow any of the links - the references are loop-backs and the google drive tells me to request access - so I’m not sure on the article you were quoting; does it specify that those plants they found secreting hypericin are actually cannabis? It looks like they’re talking about St. John’s Wort - Hypericum perforatum. A google search of the two terms together doesn’t yield much; most of the discussions of hypericin are about St. John’s Wort. If cannabis does contain it, I’d say it depends on the dosage and the delivery mechanism. St. John’s Wort can be toxic, but it’s also used as an herbal antidepressant in small doses. In fact, interestingly enough, St. John’s Wort appears to only work as an antidepressant due to the entourage effect. :wink: At least, that’s what this article says. It doesn’t really contain any references, so no idea how reliable it is, but if so it’s kinda neat. It’s also one of the only references I found to hypericin and cannabis together.

On its own, hypericin seems to be used as an anti-viral and anti-cancer skin care treatment, after some tinkering with nanoparticles to avoid the photoactivated toxicity. Again, in smaller doses it’s harmful to the skin but not actually a systemic poison, so even if it is in cannabis the dosage is the sticking point, as well as whether it would even be activated.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/hypericin

1 Like