Dirt Wizard's Magic Wand Factory and Library Lounge

@Dirt_Wizard i know kiss. keep it simple stan.lol one strain at a time so you can learn how to grow them. i have always mixed my growing strains because i like variety too.this has helped me notice how they all grow in their own way. allowing me to better care for what i grow because i learned how different they all grow. give them what they want / need and you will be happy with what you grow / get. looks like you are enjoying the grow.

4 Likes

They’re starting to come down! First OG mix (#1) got the chop tonight at 68 days, here’s one branch:

9 Likes

Is it the Nigerian 1 or 2. The ones I ran of both were super quick dense finishers with awesome smoke, I have never seen plants recover and crush a grow so quick. (I chopped it in veg all the way down to the last branch. Little thing. Yield was about 2oz a plant in 1 gal soil!)

4 Likes

That Goji cross was his Nigerian #2

2 Likes

Ah maybe it’s the granny skunk that was crossed with the 1 I have. I got three packs from him at the time. The goji being one. All were absolutely gold in my eyes.

3 Likes

Looks like he crossed both with the Granny:

I got a big set of packs from him late last year:
Bodega Bubblegum x Nigerian Sunshine
88G13HP preservation x 2
Nigerian Sunshine #2 green pheno x Apollo 11/13 open pollination
Blackwater x Apollo OP
Duct Tape x Apollo OP
Columbian/GDP x Grape Stomper OG

The Nigerian/Goji seed (seeds?) ended up in the Blackwater pack by accident, but it was a happy one, I’m loving it. Kinda hoping I find another in there someday lol.
I’ll definitely be running more of those in the near future after what I saw this time around, fire gear for sure

5 Likes

I could see a mix up between the NS2xGoji and the NS2XGranny since they were harvested from the same mother (stripped 100% of seeds in between) but I cannot explain how a NS2xGoji got mixed in the the BWxApollo. Anything is possible I suppose.

For those oogling over the NSxGoji I only made those one time with a pollen donation from someone in Oregon and they all sold out via Strainly. I did hold back about 20 for myself.

I boiled my Nigerian Sunshine hunt down to two keeper phenos, #1 green and #2 purple. I only crossed #1 a couple of times and I liked her better than #2. Both are gone now. The purple I said bye too and I did not know that I had the last cut of the green pheno and I mishandled it.

5 Likes

That’ll do nicely for me:

17 Likes

Well done :clap: great reward for the months of work! Love those purple buds :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Hope your all good bud, haven’t seen you around in a while.
Good vibes :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hey buddy! I’m doing good, started a new job on a farm for the summer so I haven’t been online as much. Got some updates to put up this weekend though! Everything is copacetic at home and in the tents

7 Likes

Good to hear, hope your enjoying your hands in some dirt!!

4 Likes

That icy grape looked great! Do you have a smoke report on it?

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

i just had a chance to fully read through and appreciate the dirt wizardry that you bring to your grows @Dirt_Wizard! i’m sure you’re hard at work practicing your dirt magic, so i ain’t trying to rush you for updates or anything. but i wanted to let you know i appreciate your grows and the knowledge you share (and how you share it).

as a fellow photographer, i’m loving your photos. there’s a certain charm, especially to the ones of your plants in the corner of your basement. the lighting and the setup, it’s fucking classic but contemporary. i’m really digging it!

i’m rounding third base with my first grow, where i’ve got some durban and cindy mixes from fleur du mal. i’ve stuck to 3 gallon containers due to my limited space, but my plants are looking pretty sweet considering. so looking back through your photos has me pumped for what’s to come.

anyways stay dirty, dirt_wizard!

3 Likes

Thanks @highminwin , I’ve been really happy with results so far, been learning a lot over the past few years, especially now that I’ve got my corner of the basement with a couple grow zones for tents and a drying setup/transplant and trimming table etc. I’m getting started back up after a month or two off, I intended to finish up earlier and take the whole summer off while working on a vegetable farm, but ended up squeezing in one last grow (of course!) to make three runs for the 2021/22 winter. I’m setting up to do a single double tent run since I’m planning on going snowbirding this winter, but if I get my auto drip watering system setup running, maybe there’ll be some experiments this year on leaving them for more than a few days. I’m sorely tempted by the DIY Octopot setups I see using felt pots and net pots into HD storage bins, but I think I’m going to stay with my 7g or maybe some 10g felt pots and try out this auto drip halo and auto drain system that I bought the parts for last year. I’ll try to find a link to the design I’m following, and get a little post up about what’s been popping in the seed dome the last week or two.

2 Likes

Here’s what’s going on now on the nug production line:

These are getting started directly in a used soil mix, the same one they’ll end up in for final growth but taken out before I added some amendments into the rest. I have had mixed luck with bagged seed starter soil and Jiffy picks, they seem okay but I am trying out the Breeder Steve theory of don’t baby them, drop lots of seeds and look for the hungry and resistant ones that just want to grow. One thing I did remember that I should have done is to sterilize the mix in the microwave first, I got more damping off than I like to see.

From left to right:

-2x Bodhi Smart Move (Genius Thai x Old Mother Ghani), started four, only two popped
-2x @Tonygreen Sowah Grapefruit (New York Candy Orange x Sowahh), started four, two damped off, I decapitated one with the dome and stuck it right down into the soil next to the stem, it might just make it
-4x @Baudelaire Fleur Du Mal Cinderella 99, started four and four survived, tough as expected
-3x @SCJedi Nigerian Sunshine (green pheno) x Apollo 11/13 open pollination, started four and three made it, one’s a runt but robust looking, I think it’ll be fine

The plan this time around is to cull the males, and spread the females between my two tents instead of getting the veg tent rebooted with another round once flower starts. I’m hoping for five or six females, depending on how it splits I’d like to get three or four of the C99 and Nigerian Sunshine in the 4x4, and one or two Smart Move and Sowah Grapefruit in my 3x4. But that will remain to be seen once we get to sexing.

9 Likes

Strain information:

Smart Move- No info from Bodhi on this one, @minitiger described it as a cross between Lemon Thai and Apollo 11, which makes sense to me.
Here’s a review of Genius Thai Extreme rom higherthought.guru:

"Coffee and cannabis—this is as good a morning strain as any!

Origins and Backstory: Bodhi originally released Genius Thai Extreme seeds as F1—a hybrid between the Apollo 11 Genius cut (originally from Brother’s Grimm seed stock) and a landrace Thai sativa. A friend of mine, @planthoarder, open pollenated those and made F2. I passed the F2 seed onto yet another friend here in Colorado, who then grew the pictured flower organically, indoors, and around 7500 feet. The Apollo 1 1 Genius cut is so named because it will get your brain juices flowing and take you into orbit; it is universally loved by sativa enthusiasts, especially those who were active in the ‘90s. Thai landrace plants are known for being hard to tame, but have uniquely soaring and cerebral highs that are sought after by connoisseurs. I imagine Bodhi’s goal of the cross was to get all of the best parts of sativa effects into a fast-flowering and easy to grow plant.

Appearance: These flowers are beautiful! The buds exhibit all the best aspects of both parents; they are full and dense, and covered in resin. This gives the flower a modern bag appeal with a heavy frost factor. At the same time, they have a tell-tale calyx structure that is omnipresent in southeast asian cultivars. The way the pistils almost fold out of the calyxes remind me of Thai temples in a way—maybe that’s just placebo. In any case, these flowers are stunning. They look like Thai flowers that have been well-tempered and bred for the indoor clime, but the density, fullness, and resin-coverage of these flowers is what is really impressive—a true achievement when working with landrace equatorial sativas.

Aroma: Exotic, fruity, and floral, the aroma is a high point. It comes off as an exotic smoothie including pink lemonade, hibiscus tea, and indian spices. It is like a sweet-sour-floral smoothie, with immediate notes of pineapple, nectarine, mango, guava, papaya, and strangely foreign fruits that I do not have words for. An exotic note is prevalent that is somewhere between incense, fruit, and spice, and really smells like some unbelievably exotic culinary spice from Asia. I can only describe it as “Thai,” but it is strong. There are more notes of lemongrass, and a few other herbaceous/botanical notes that remind me of tropical greenhouses and botanical gardens. The aroma is “juicy,” and makes me think of a fruit blend that has been sitting in the sun. Genius Thai is really exotic, unusual, and attractive.

Flavor: While not quite as punchy as the aroma, the flavor is a fun experience. The smoke is more herbal and botanical than the aroma, and slightly less fruity. The hibiscus and other floral/herbaceous greenhouse flavors are present, and make for a really unique smoke. The most dominant notes of the smoke are nectarine, Thai-weed-spice (I don’t know how else to describe this), mango/guava, and hibiscus. Just as unique as the aroma, the flavor is something special. It is smoky experiences like these that make Bodhi such a cult favorite breeder.

Effects: This is a floaty, thoughtful, and giggly herb that is guaranteed to pick you up. You could expect most of the effects just from the lineage, and it is a great compromise of Thai genetics with a good indoor sativa performer, the Apollo 11 Genius clone. The come-up is floaty, happy, euphoric, with hints of soaring/cerebral Thai. The Thai effects are just traceable here, but noticeable. For the uninitiated, Thai weed is some of the most unique sativa smoke in existence—it can come in waves like psychedelics, can inspire extreme giggling/euphoria as equally as it can terror and paranoia. There is truly no weed as psychedelic as Thai/Cambodian weed, and this Genius Thai Extreme manages to capture a few pieces of that. This herb is certainly giggly and euphoric, but not as soaring as Thai. Fortunately, I think a terrifying and paranoid experience on this weed would be very difficult to have. It’s not nearly as overwhelming as a pure Thai smoke, and would probably be equally favored by beginning smokers and sativa-connoisseurs alike. All in all, this is good wake n bake herb on weekends for happy, easeful activities. I smoked this and got quite a bit done around my house, and looked around at my current life situation with optimism. The feeling does eventually fade into something dream-like; the lack of clarity keeps me from smoking this one when I’m aiming to be productive. Overall, this is a day brightener and great summer-time herb.

Overall: This is an almost ideal exemplar of breeding. Thai cannabis is some of the best in the world (it is my personal favorite), but it is just as easily some of the most difficult to manage. Even outdoors, the extensive flowering time (14-24 weeks) prevents most North American cultivators from even attempting to grow these strains. Genius Thai Extreme captures a lot of the best aspects of Thai weed in a plant that is easy to grow inside, has great bag appeal, and a very reasonable flowering time. This strain is really impressive from a breeding standpoint. It is great in theory, excellent in execution, and makes a “Thai Lite” version of weed accessible to many more growers/smokers than will ever be able to enjoy true pure Thai. This is a complete package plant, and is not lacking in any category. Personally, when I compare this to the 30 or so other varieties I have on my shelf, I tend to prefer others for smoking. That being said—if this was the only flower I had available to me, I’d be incredibly grateful. This is an excellent quality sativa in virtually every category. The effect is a bit too dreamy for me to enjoy smoking this a ton during the day, and lacking the OG punch that I enjoy during the evenings. Personally, I’d prefer a selection with a longer flowering time but a more soaring/cerebral/psychedelic effect. So, I don’t get into this jar too often. If I’m heading for a hike on a sunny weekend with a friend or doing a home yoga session—this is the first weed I’ll think of (along with DJ Short F-13). I hope that gives the reader enough info to accurately gauge where this one settles out, but overall I think it’s an impressive plant and one I feel lucky to be smoking."

Sowah Grapefruit- from TG/GLG:
" Genetics: New York Candy Orange x Gorilla Bubble x Sowah (Sour Diesel BX4)
Seeds in pack: 20
Sex: Regular
Type: Hybrid
Flowering Time: 70-77 days
Yield: Medium/Heavy
Area (Indoor, Outdoor, Both): Both

Notes: Dr. P’s New York Candy Orange has been a favorite of ours. The cross of NYCD x Agent Orange took 3rd place Indica at the 2013 ICMAG 430 cup and has been used in several previous strains such as Ruby Red GB and The Orange Grapefruit Rabbit Hole.
I’ve been holding my grapefruit keeper from The Orange Grapefruit Rabbit Hole for a couple years for this very chance I envisioned the first time I smoked her. Expect excellent resin production from the GB with the grapefruit twang from the NYCO and the legendary world class Sowah terp profile."

Cinderella 99: from FDM
“A F4 sibling cross of selected males and females from the original 1998 release of Cinderella 99 by legendary US breeder Mr Soul. This generation is even more uniform and true-breeding than the original, while retaining the strong sativa head, short maturation, ease of growing, and sweet cherry and citrus notes of Soul’s magnum opus.”

Nigerian Sunshine x Apollo 11/13- I’m expecting a fruitier, more sativa version of the NSxGoji I grew two rounds ago that’s already a favorite for the daytime

8 Likes

Actually, I thought the female in that cross was just a straight Thai crossed to Apollo 11; somebody else corrected me. The Smart Move is (Lemon Thai x A11) x OMG. Still good weed, though haha. I especially liked the OMG-leaner I found.

3 Likes

Bumpity bump bump watch this space I’ve got updates coming later today

6 Likes

The anticipation is killing me :bear::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes